Who should we target during the summer?

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Tinordi seems like he is here to stay I would think.... I would also think that Pateryn will get a long look in training camp, since has been the number one guy in Hamilton all year. Not sure on Beaulieu making the jump though....

A lot depends on the Vanek situation, and what Bergevin does with Subban and Markov. We do need a solid right winger though for the top 6, preferably one with some size and grit, and that can score.

My guess is that Bergevin will re-sign Subban and Markov to multi-year deals. No idea what Vanek will do, but I think it's logical that he will test the UFA market.

With that being said, potential targets that I could see Bergevin acquiring:

Right Wing - Ryan Callahan (Big name, big money guy with Character, the kind of guy that Bergevin loves).

Devin Setoguchi - A solid if unspectacular player that usually scores about 20 a year.

Jaromir Jagr - Always seems to do the dance every year with the Habs. Will he ever be coming over?

Defense - Bouillon and Weaver are gone for sure.... Murray may be offered a contract as his play has improved and the coaches seem to like his physical play. Subban will be given a big contract, and Markov is likely staying as well.... Gorges and Emelin are under contract already.

I'm assuming that both Subban and Markov are signed by the team... Than you have the question marks - Tinordi? I would say he is likely there. Murray? Strong possibility. Pateryn? Habs do need more right handed shots and he's played well at the AHL level. Beaulieu? Played well but was demoted. Maybe takes a shot at a UFA Matt Greene? Bergevin loves that type of defenseman and having defensive depth... And he is a right handed shot. Just guessing (as we all are) but maybe something like this?

Tinordi - Subban
Emelin - Markov
Gorges - Pateryn
Murray
Beaulieu

Callahan, not if he wants 6 million per for 6 years, thats ridiculous, the way he plays he will be done in 3, and 6 million for a 3rd liner, nope.

Setoguchi, I've watched every Jets game this year, might be a slight upgrade over Bourque but I'm sure we can do better.

Jagr, why? By the time we are going to compete for a cup he will be retired.

Vanek, too much money and term for a guy with zero character, if he wants to sign for 7 million for 3 years I'm all over it, anything more I keep the cap space.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
After signing Vanek (if possible), Subban and Markov... I think going after Niskanen could be a decent idea. Eller could always be traded for a right wing (Chris Stewart?). If not, we could sign Jagr if he comes in cheap.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
After signing Vanek (if possible), Subban and Markov...
If we are lucky to sign these three then there will not be a lot of money left to get a free agent. I mean especially since we would have signed Vanek who will be a free agent. We'll need to get the superfluous people out of this team (Bourque Gionta Eller and DD) and promote one or two of our kids.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Moulson. If Minny goes after Vanek and don't want to spend on Moulson, you need to be there July 1st for him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This. I've said this previously , goaltending is their top priority. If they get that fixed, sign their free agents , they might choose to not compete for Vanek.

In any case if I am Bergevin and Vaneks destiny is to go to Minnesota I try to trade him there after the playoffs in exchange for Moulson. Then try to sign Moulson.

It's a courtesy move for both GMs .

Moulson. If Minny goes after Vanek and don't want to spend on Moulson, you need to be there July 1st for him.

This is the scenario that makes the most sense.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is the scenario that makes the most sense.

If the destiny is Vanek in Minny, the destiny HAS to be Moulson to play for Molson.:D Great trade would be rights to Vanek for rights to Moulson.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Here's a new wrinkle to all this ... on the main boards in "The Business of Hockey/Cap projecting to $71.1 million for 14-15 (update: new projection as low as $68m?)" ... there is new talk the cap may only go to $68M instead of $71M for next year.

That would throw a wrench into some teams acquisition plans.

I just read it and wonder how much truth there is into it. Even though it is numbers based, it would seem odd for such a big change at such a late date.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
In goaltending we are fine.

On the D, bottom pairing first. One of those spots has to be reserved for Tinordi, Beulieu or Pateryn .Sharing the position is fine. These guys are at the stage where they are working into the line-up or you trade them, The other bottom spot goes to an NHL veteran and basically its the best UFA we can get who is willing to sign a 1 year or at most 2 year deal. The top 7 spot goes to one of our young guys as well, which the Habs generally don't do ( 2 rookies in the top 7 ), but the time has come.

In the top 4 I assume Markov signs. We need an upgrade on Gorges or Emelin to a solid, good sized two way player who has at least 4-5 good years left There are no such UFAs available, Girardi would have been perfect. I was hoping we could have worked a trade for EDler, maybe can still happen.

Need a good sized top 6 RW. Hello Vanek. again, must be able to produce for 4-5 years. Minimum 25 goals, better if 30. Vanek would be the hope here.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The frequency with which the combinations change is a symptom of a "from the gut" coach like Therrien. I don't think there's any way of distilling down years of watching hockey into a concise post that will satisfy your thirst for the knowledge you seek. There's a possibility that there isn't as much of a difference as I perceive there to be, but I'll have to leave it to you to point out how/where my observations don't match the actual game data. I feel pretty confident about my claim that a lot of players have undergone more position/linemate changes under Therrien than they may have been "used to" - especially over a similar time frame on past teams. Obviously lots of factors in play at all times, but that's the impression I'm left with, and you've even conceded the point when it comes to the defense.

There isn't and you're overemphasizing the importance of the position a player plays. Especially from one wing to the other. Obviously, a winger playing center requires a massive adjustment but a center playing wing and a winger switching side requires minimal adjustment.

As for defence, skating matters more than what side a guy shoots from. I'm right handed and feel more comfortable playing on the left side because I have a better right-over-left crossover, making it easier for me to force a rushing forward towards the boards and keeping him from overtaking me from the outside. This is less of an issue with most NHL players, since their overall skating is better, however, every single player has direction that's a little stronger and faster than the other.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I'm thrilled with the Vanek trade but I for one wouldn't want the Habs to resign him given the $$$ he seems to expect. If he's willing to sign @ $6.75-7M/year fine but anything more and I say let him go elsewhere.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Callahan fits our style. That is if we let Gionta walk.
We also need a big winger who can score around the net. Tomas Vanek is just that player. We also need to cut dead weights like Rene Bourque.

Minnesota can do whatever they want. But goalie is the most important position in the NHL. They have the Suters, Parises but they don't have a goalie. I'm predicting an early exit for Minny.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Re-sign Markov
Re-sign Vanek if possible

I'd go after Jagr but perhaps Vrbata could be a good fit on the RW? He's been a pretty consistent scorer, pucks lots of pucks on the net and has good speed. Might be a nice fit with Plekanec.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
According to capgeek* , we have 27,376,667$ with 15 players on the roster for next year.

If we sign Subban (8M), Eller (3,5M) , Weise and White (2M both) and Markov (6M) , we are at 7,876,667 with 12 forwards , 5 defences. Let say we sign a depth D or Murray , we would be at 6,876,667 and we couldn't afford Vanek who is believed to ask 7,5M. If he wants to be there , one of Briere or Bourque should be gone so we can afford him. In this case , our line-up would be this

67 - 51 - 11
27 - 14 - 20
49 - 81 - 48/17
32 - 8 - 22

26 - 76
79 - 74
24 - RHD Depth D

* Sourcehttp://capgeek.com/canadiens/?exclude_bonuses=0&team=%2Fcanadiens%2F&team=canadiens

Try Eller 2M max, White and Weise 1.2M max.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Bourque would get bought out immediately if we were in cap trouble. Also, Moen would probably get moved for nothing.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
More convinced now that Vanek is gone and we shouldn't even worry about it.

I like the Moulson idea, though and we need to move Galch to C ASAP.

Move DD or Eller.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
After signing Vanek (if possible), Subban and Markov... I think going after Niskanen could be a decent idea. Eller could always be traded for a right wing (Chris Stewart?). If not, we could sign Jagr if he comes in cheap.

IMO this makes alot of sense. A big RW that can fight and score to replace Gionta. Sure he has some warts but he is still young and fits that 25 + - age group to fit in with the core

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Does Andrighetto have a realistic chance making the team next year?

There should be an open roster spot on the right side. I think he'll have to fight with Thomas and Leblanc for that spot but IMO he will be given a fair chance to show what he can do next training camp and who knows, he might just be next year's Bournival.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't think I'd offer vanek a multi year contract at 7-8million. I don't think it's a good idea at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad