WHO should the L.A. Kings hire as their next head coach, if Todd McLellan is dismissed before the end of the season?

WHO should the L.A. Kings hire as their next head coach, if Todd McLellan is dismissed ?

• Total voters

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So, let me get this straight (only cause I’ve heard different interpretations over the years)…I thought credit for the reverse sweep goes to Sutter and the character of the ‘14 team? Now, we need ammunition to match the narrative, so that means the reverse sweep is because TM sucks? Cool.

You guys keep reaching, don’t hurt yourselves.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
So, let me get this straight (only cause I’ve heard different interpretations over the years)…I thought credit for the reverse sweep goes to Sutter and the character of the ‘14 team? Now, we need ammunition to match the narrative, so that means the reverse sweep is because TM sucks? Cool.

The only reaching being done is your arm around tmac for the rusty trombone. Give it a rest already your obsessed with the guy.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
LOL, why wouldn't he??

Jesus Christ people, 15-12-5.

I know its impossible for you to possibly communicate like a normal human being but this is a legit question.
3 teams with long tenure, reverse sweep with stacked team, got nothing out of young oilers, faltering with this years team in 4th year of tenure. You may be right....he could be a Rick Bowness, Paul Maurice, Bruce Boudreau and get multiple chances with different teams but by same token this season has been the ultimately coaching fail. Not sure how much lies with him vs Blake but we are 30 something games in the season and already have like 5/6 catastrophic performances must with Tmac doing nothing to avoid the impending failure.

6 seasons with the Sharks
3.25 with the Oilers
3.3 currently with the Kings.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I know its impossible for you to possibly communicate like a normal human being but this is a legit question.
3 teams with long tenure, reverse sweep with stacked team, got nothing out of young oilers, faltering with this years team in 4th year of tenure. You may be right....he could be a Rick Bowness, Paul Maurice, Bruce Boudreau and get multiple chances with different teams but by same token this season has been the ultimately coaching fail. Not sure how much lies with him vs Blake but we are 30 something games in the season and already have like 5/6 catastrophic performances must with Tmac doing nothing to avoid the impending failure.
And only 6 months removed from arguably being a candidate for coach of the year. GTFO

(oops! forgot about last year. excuse me while I try to come up with reasons why last season means nothing)

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015

He needed to win ONE more game. Just ONE. He lost four straight instead.
And it's not one thing or the other. It can be because he's a terrible coach that couldn't make an adjustment to win one more game out of four, as well as Sutter being a great coach and motivating the boys to win four in a row. Your binary thinking is so tiresome but you know that already.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
And only 6 months removed from arguably being a candidate for coach of the year. GTFO

(oops! forgot about last year. excuse me while I try to come up with reasonsy last season means nothing)

Did a great job last year for sure....but this year sees the wheels falling off the wagon with a far better forward corp and a healthy drew doughty.

Reactions: YAYSAY

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Did a great job last year for sure....but this year sees the wheels falling off the wagon with a far better forward corp and a healthy drew doughty.
Nobody is arguing that things have been rough....but that wasn't your point. You were asking if anyone would ever hire TM again because we are 30 games in with the Kings only 3 games over .500.

You gonna need a lot more than that for an NHL coach who has been around for 15 years to be suddenly blacklisted from the league. Holy shit, can't believe I'm wasting my time on this.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not to mention they choked in the last couple of games with a lifeless performance in Game 7....oh this all sounds familiar

The guy couldn't wait to get the puck on AAs stick in Game 6, too

Reactions: mysterman2

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Nobody is arguing that things have been rough....but that wasn't your point. You were asking if anyone would ever hire TM again because we are 30 games in with the Kings only 3 games over .500.

You gonna need a lot more than that for an NHL coach who has been around for 15 years to be suddenly blacklisted from the league. Holy shit, can't believe I'm wasting my time on this.

well lets look at it- had CUP Caliber team and couldnt get it done, had talented young team and couldnt get it done, now has blend of vets and young and not getting it done.

So apart from a team looking for any breathing coach with a pulse- what team legitimacy looks at TMac and says "this is the guy we need." If you couldnt make a run with a young skilled team, couldnt make a run with a Stanley cup caliber team and reversed swept no less, and couldnt succeed with a team like the Kings with Vets and Younger Players- what exact team makeup is the perfect scenario for him?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
well lets look at it- had CUP Caliber team and couldnt get it done, had talented young team and couldnt get it done, now has blend of vets and young and not getting it done.

So apart from a team looking for any breathing coach with a pulse- what team legitimacy looks at TMac and says "this is the guy we need." If you couldnt make a run with a young skilled team, couldnt make a run with a Stanley cup caliber team and reversed swept no less, and couldnt succeed with a team like the Kings with Vets and Younger Players- what exact team makeup is the perfect scenario for him?
Should I now provide you a list of NHL coaches who 'couldn't get it done?"

FYI, Darryl Sutter was an NHL head coach, FOR 20 YEARS, who 'couldn't get it done' until 2012.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Should I now provide you a list of NHL coaches who 'couldn't get it done?"

FYI, Darryl Sutter was an NHL head coach, FOR 20 YEARS, who 'couldn't get it done' until 2012.
Fair point but given what we are seeing do you honestly think he’s ‘the guy’? Do you really think these guys are playing for him?

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Fair point but given what we are seeing do you honestly think he’s ‘the guy’? Do you really think these guys are playing for him?
The guys are getting on the freeway as a group with destinations in mind. Too many parts are breaking down to keep the car on the road.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
No offense, I just find that to be such an asinine question. Are they playing for him?? They should be playing for their careers and their paychecks regardless of who’s behind the bench. Winners get paid more than losers. These are professional athletes, they don’t get on the ice to lose games cause they don’t like their coach.

They seemed to have played for him just fine last season…they have a change of heart? C’mon…

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think McLellan is the type of coach who will lead this group to the promised land, but I also don't think the Kings have players who can muster the kind of commitment it takes either.

There are some that show some promise, but the sand is already running through to the bottom of the hourglass on some of them. If the players are not playing for each other, then you have nothing.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
No offense, I just find that to be such an asinine question. Are they playing for him?? They should be playing for their careers and their paychecks regardless of who’s behind the bench. Winners get paid more than losers. These are professional athletes, they don’t get on the ice to lose games cause they don’t like their coach.

They seemed to have played for him just fine last season…they have a change of heart? C’mon…
I agree it shouldn’t be like that but we all know it happens, all of the time. As soon as any team (any sport) lose belief in the coach they lose 5% of ‘something‘ and at the top level it kills teams. I’m sure they don’t sit there and decide they aren’t going to try but they have definitely lost something and across all sports I struggle to think of teams that turn it around after they coach loses the room.

If Blake has even asked himself ‘has he lost the room’ it’s time to pull the plug. It’s the same if you’re at home feel unwell and ask yourself ‘should I call an ambulance’ the answer is always ‘yes’.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't think McLellan is the type of coach who will lead this group to the promised land, but I also don't think the Kings have players who can muster the kind of commitment it takes either.

There are some that show some promise, but the sand is already running through to the bottom of the hourglass on some of them. If the players are not playing for each other, then you have nothing.
Unfortunately I agree on both counts and I take no pleasure from it. It’s why I don’t like results like against the Bruins as it creates a false dawn and papers over the cracks. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the win but I don’t think it helps long term. Nobody will be happier than me if I’m wrong though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad