WHO should the L.A. Kings hire as their next head coach, if Todd McLellan is dismissed before the end of the season?

WHO should the L.A. Kings hire as their next head coach, if Todd McLellan is dismissed ?

• Total voters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I had said this in another thread without much thought

"
Short list:

Andrew Brunette
Mike Vellucci
Travis Green
Nate Leaman
unpopular opinion: Rick Tocchet

All coaches who are good with kids/development and reportedly 'player friendly' enough yet also with enough clout to slap around some of the bitch ass vets."

-Brunette led the finest season for the Panthers last year and was a jack adams finalist, being inexplicably let go and immediately rehired. I'd say calling him a 'retreat' is bad faith but it's dumber than that.
-Green would be on his 2nd coaching stint after getting lame duck'ed and railroaded by the Canucks. He won in juniors and has an ahl finals appearance. Believe me I'm much less enthused about him than Brunette but I figured I'd throw another 'nhl guy' out there at the very least.
-Tocchet is just me, I don't expect anyone but me to be on board with that one, haha.
-Leaman has not just college but us development history and would be one of the most desired college guys. I'm not a huge fan of the college to nhl coaching pipeline but he'd be my guy.
-Velluci should have a job already, here's your homework for him. Mike Vellucci getting on radar for NHL head coaching job

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

"
Short list:

Andrew Brunette
Mike Vellucci
Travis Green
Nate Leaman

All coaches who are good with kids/development and reportedly 'player friendly' enough yet also with enough clout to slap around some of the bitch ass vets."

-Brunette led the finest season for the Panthers last year and was a jack adams finalist, being inexplicably let go and immediately rehired. I'd say calling him a 'retreat' is bad faith but it's dumber than that.
-Green would be on his 2nd coaching stint after getting lame duck'ed and railroaded by the Canucks. He won in juniors and has an ahl finals appearance. Believe me I'm much less enthused about him than Brunette but I figured I'd throw another 'nhl guy' out there at the very least.
-Tocchet is just me, I don't expect anyone but me to be on board with that one, haha.
-Leaman has not just college but us development history and would be one of the most desired college guys. I'm not a huge fan of the college to nhl coaching pipeline but he'd be my guy.
-Velluci should have a job already, here's your homework for him. Mike Vellucci getting on radar for NHL head coaching job
Great post. Who is your top guy RJ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

"
Short list:

Andrew Brunette
Mike Vellucci
Travis Green
Nate Leaman

I think any of those guys are more likely than an established guy like Trotz. This is even though I think if Barry came in he would light a complete fire under this team's ass. I actually have no problem with Travis Green, I think he got a raw deal. Brunette is probably going nowhere with how NJ is playing, but he's at the top of the list for sure.

I can live with weird decisions, all coaches make them. They constantly tinker with lineups, matchups, systems, and so on. But when players start quitting consistently the writing is on the wall.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you combine a great coach with a mediocre roster, you get a team who can win a PO series here and there, but never be good enough to truly contend.

That's what Trotz would make us.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If you combine a great coach with a mediocre roster, you get a team who can win a PO series here and there, but never be good enough to truly contend.

That's what Trotz would make us.
Agreed. You don't go after a guy like Trotz unless you are going to fix the abomination that is the defense. If you bring in a solid guy and move out some of the dead weight, then sure. The offense isn't a problem, they are just tuned out. But even tonight when they were dominating early it looked shaky back there, we just had the puck all the time.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Agreed. You don't go after a guy like Trotz unless you are going to fix the abomination that is the defense. If you bring in a solid guy and move out some of the dead weight, then sure. The offense isn't a problem, they are just tuned out. But even tonight when they were dominating early it looked shaky back there, we just had the puck all the time.
👍

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I don't even know who we are going to go after if Todd is canned. Someone said no retred and I think I would go that rout. Someone fresh is what I would lean toward and a coach that won't except being pushed around by other teams. I just don't want someone worst than the one we just let go. LOL imagine that. Whomever we get as long as it's not F**ken Mike BabCOCK!!! F*** that POS.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Asking this question is the equivalent of asking who should drive when the car has three steering wheels, two tires, and no engine.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You dont hire mid-season due to much smaller candidate pool - you let an assistant glide the engineless corpse over the finish line hopefully tank and beat Dux for 1st overall

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad