Who should the Kraken take with the #2 overall pick?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Well, if we're talking upside then Simon Edvinsson is probably the guy to look at.
He's got all the tools(size, great hands, skating, defense) you would want but seems to need a bit more time(than others) to develop.

Just read a pretty interesting article on him by the Athletic.

Anyways, it's going to be interesting what Francis and the scouts/analytics department decide to do at #2.

This is my pick too if Powers is off the board. THN says his best case upside is Seth Jones to Power's Victor Hedman. Not a bad consolation prize.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the first two really ought to be Beniers and Power in either order. I figure with a top 2 pick, either would be great. A lot of people seem to really like Hughes, but I'm not sold as a 2nd overall, same with Edvinsson. Clarke is an interesting thought, but again... 2nd overall... nah.

I suppose it depends on what they think they need after the expansion draft. Not a whole lot of time to figure that out either, but with that being the case, I think it's crazy not to go with one of those two... but I'm no expert like the guys making the pick.

You just don't look at need for BPA. Especially when you are starting from scratch and need skilled players at all positions.

A lot of times the rankings of teams scouts are different than universal consensus. For example, if our team scouts/management ranks Power as the bonafide #1 but feel that Beniers, Hughes and Clarke are all rated equally, they may just trade down to 4 and take the BPA for an additional 2nd round pick or so. Infact, if we had been in the 4-5 range I feel they would have happily moved down to the the 7-8 range.

I do think that most scouts would rank Power and Beniers in the top-2 for this draft. Will make a move down rather hard to make unless our scouts don't see the same.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
We do not take Buffalo scraps to trade up. Not worth their terrible contracts. Let them sort that out. Stick with #2 and draft beniers

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The expansion draft should have absolutely nothing to do with the entry draft, IMO.

I also don't expect our first rounder to be a contributor during our first season given that those kids have missed out on at least a year of their development.
If Seattle Kraken draft Matthew Beniers the hope is they let him play another year at least of College/University hockey. Turning him pro in 2021 would be a detriment to his development! And I disagree with you the Expansion draft is going to be top heavy on the Defensive front so taking a top flight prospect(Beniers) at the forward ranks is paramount!Then with a whole lot of Luck Seattle can tab Centre and scoring phenom's Shane Wright in 2022 and Centre Connor Bedard in 2023

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If Seattle Kraken draft Matthew Beniers the hope is they let him play another year at least of College/University hockey. Turning him pro in 2021 would be a detriment to his development! And I disagree with you the Expansion draft is going to be top heavy on the Defensive front so taking a top flight prospect(Beniers) at the forward ranks is paramount!Then with a whole lot of Luck Seattle can tab Centre and scoring phenom's Shane Wright in 2022 and Centre Connor Bedard in 2023

Note Seattle will play in the pacific, odds are decent to pretty good we'll probably either be a bubble team or make the playoffs the next two years. So we wouldn't eligible for for first or 2nd pick.

3rd spot in the division is ripe for the taking.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Note Seattle will play in the pacific, odds are decent to pretty good we'll probably either be a bubble team or make the playoffs the next two years. So we wouldn't eligible for for first or 2nd pick.

3rd spot in the division is ripe for the taking.
You sure are optimistic but hey you're entitled to that

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

That makes absolutely no sense.

We're starting from scratch without any prospects(besides Luke Henman, who wasn't signed to an ELC after being taken in the 4th round four years ago) and need to built that prospect pool for our future.

But most importantly, the majority of players taken during the expansion draft won't be around within the next two to three seasons and therefore you don't take them into consideration.
I think Vegas has about five guys left from their expansion draft while playing their fourth NHL season.

On top of that, I also think that you always take BPA(unless it's really close) and figure things out later on.

BTW: Looking at the next two drafts doesn't make much sense right now.
We don't even know how our roster looks like and we're playing in the pacific division were a team going on somewhat of a run could easily qualify for the playoffs given that only Vegas and (mot likely)Edmonton are a lock to qualify.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Owen Power. I find Beniers is a better fit for Buffalo because he contributes to a 2C role as Cozens contributes to a 1C role. Plus Dahlin is their 1D and Seattle will likely develop Power as their 1D.

But I find people forget how good Brandt Clarke is.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
All year I have felt like this was the year for Seattle to find a franchise top-pairing guy, and then focus on a 1C next year when guys like Wright and Lambert are ready.
Now I'm not so sure, but whether the pick is Beniers, Power or Clarke I'll be happy.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
All year I have felt like this was the year for Seattle to find a franchise top-pairing guy, and then focus on a 1C next year when guys like Wright and Lambert are ready.
Now I'm not so sure, but whether the pick is Beniers, Power or Clarke I'll be happy.

Eh i don't want a crappy first year just so we have a chance to get wright or who else would be there.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just reading and watching scouting reports, it does appear the Beniers is emerging as the consensus #2 behind Power. I would be happy with either. Assuming he has a clean bill of health, Hughes also looks intriguing.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Berneirs seems like a safe choice to start with, though alot will have to do with how the E.D. shakes out. In a crapshoot draft, they may draft for positional need rather than 'central scouting rank'. Granted, with what appears to be a weak pool for centers in expansion- berneirs likely ends up a kraken anyways.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
IMO, Center and Defense are the 2 most important positions for teams to draft in the 1st Round. As a Kings fan, I watched both Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar get chosen. Both were instrumental in getting L.A. it's first (and 2nd) Stanley Cup. Choosing either position at #2 will further Seattle's chances of having future successful seasons.

That being said, I think they'll take the sure thing in Beniers, as long as his injury isn't too serious. If it is a worry, Clarke would be a backup pick. He seems to be high on a lot of lists.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Reading more about this draft class and potential players at #2, it seems to me that the team needs to decide between the "safe pick" and "going for potential".

The safe picks would probably be either Metthew Beniers or Brandt Clarke.

The downside would be that almost everyone seems to believe that Beniers, while a great 200 feet player, doesn't have #1C potential and that Clarke also seems to play it a bit too safe at times which doesn't help to advance the puck.

The potential route would probably include the swedish kids(Edvinsson, Ecklund) and Luke Hughes(even though there are some mixed reviews out there on him as well) who, theoretically, could become fantastic and even the best players in this draft class, but might never fully put it together.

Those are tough decisions to make and like I've said some time ago, I wouldn't even mind trading down, if there's a chance to add some more picks during the process.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
In my opinion would try to trade down to select Eklund. That might all depend on the expansion draft results on what picks they will add.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After his performance in World Hockey Championships, if there was any hope of Power falling to us, it is gone now. Buffalo can be a crazy franchise, but not so crazy that they will choose Beniers over Power.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
After his performance in World Hockey Championships, if there was any hope of Power falling to us, it is gone now. Buffalo can be a crazy franchise, but not so crazy that they will choose Beniers over Power.
not to mention their scouting department is all but nonexistent, so it would just make the most sense to pick the (safe) “consensus” top pick in Power.

I would love for Beniers or Clarke to be the pick at #2. neither are flashy or marquee names but they appear to be the closest to NHL ready & would be rock solid pieces to build around for the next decade & beyond. imho.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad