Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft - social isolation edition

Which prospect should the Jets pick in the 1st round, if all are available?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
If we aren't able to trade for a suitable 2C, I'd like to see us potentially draft someone for it.

Chevy has had so many kicks at the can to do it, not sure why he hasn't been able to come up with a long term solution.

I was mad last year when we could have had Nick Robertson but drafted Lundmark instead. Not sure if Robertson can be that number 2 C, but I liked his skills and potential.
Same with the 2 years before, I know Vesa was a highly touted prospect but Frost and Poeling were available, as was Jokiharju to fill our RHD.
That said, drafts are crapshoots anyways. You just hope they pan out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was mad last year when we could have had Nick Robertson but drafted Lundmark instead. Not sure if Robertson can be that number 2 C, but I liked his skills and potential.
Same with the 2 years before, I know Vesa was a highly touted prospect but Frost and Poeling were available, as was Jokiharju to fill our RHD.
Robertson is a LW. Jets already have Ehlers, Connor, KVes, and Harkins on LW.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yep better players were available but when does that stop. I’d rather Chabot than Connor. I’m sure if we tried hard there were better players than Ehlers drafted after. It’s a crapshoot and a what if game that can drive u insane.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I’m sure it’s not easy and none of us would do better.

We've needed a 2C going on 3 years. People get traded. Ryan O'Reilly, Trochek, Johansen, etc.

Kind of a stupid response, though. Of course we can't do better. We're not GMs.

But others have made it happen. No more excuses for Chevy to leave that void, again.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We've needed a 2C going on 3 years. People get traded. Ryan O'Reilly, Trochek, Johansen, etc.

But others have made it happen. No more excuses for Chevy to leave that void, again.
Ya I think it’s kinda easy for us to sit here and pretend we have the answers. So it’s stupid to suggest things that aren’t doable.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Have a fantastic day.
You mentioned Johansen who hasn’t done much and we don’t have a Jones to trade for him.
Trochek according to a lot of ppl is on the decline.
We tried to resign Stastny. Yes we can get a get 2c from someone for Laine. Do we want to trade him?
Eakins was a good fit they might try to resign him and he might want to get as far as possible from wpg. We didn’t have the pieces or timing for Ror especially since little was still adequate at time.
I expect him to go hard for a centre this off-season but won’t sh** on him if he doesn’t land one. As ppl want to keep them.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

The trouble is in most of those trades we likely give up on someone else which creates a hole somewhere. There's also the fact that some GM, and it has been proven, don't just call everyone and say hey player x is available what's your best offer? The GM world is weird. When the B's were trying to trade Seguin they targeted Dallas on purpose. Not sure why he wasn't offered up to everyone but they had a player in mind they wanted and went after only that player.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a few observations and comments on this.

First, it seems that HF Jets isn't focused intently on the draft as yet, based on the relatively few number of votes. I guess that's to be expected since the season was just suspended a short while before the poll and most draft rating groups haven't published their reports.

Second, it seems that most respondents are zoned in on a center (over 45% voted for either Lundell or Zary). It might be a situation of best player available, since both are highly rated, but I wonder if position is a factor.

Less than 20% voted for a D, perhaps reflecting the paucity of good D at the top of this draft class, or perhaps confidence in the Jets' D pipeline (Samberg, Heinola, Niku, Chisholm, etc.).

Not many voted for a "wild card", even though there are a few out there. Perhaps there will be more interest as more publications start to publish reviews.

For me, I would like more information about some of the more intriguing prospects that some are touting for the 10-15 range. These include:

Gunler (some eye popping numbers and strong rankings. Older player, and some questions about why he was excluded from international tournaments).

Mysak (pops up in several rankings in the 10-15 range).

Quinn (older player, but late riser. What's his trajectory?)

Amirov (on some top-15 lists. Seems like a highly talented player, but Russian uncertainty might lower his appeal).

Lapierre (lots of scouting groups rave about his skill and potential, but huge questions about health).

Any other intriguing players that others are interested in?

Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I was a big fan of Mysak at the World Juniors but have been less then impressed in the OHL with him. He just disappeared far too often for me to take in the that 10 to 20 range

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Accidentally voted Quinn, but i'd go Lundell from these options. would not expect him to be there

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was a big fan of Mysak at the World Juniors but have been less then impressed in the OHL with him. He just disappeared far too often for me to take in the that 10 to 20 range
Mysak seems like a polarizing prospect. Some seem to love him, others not so impressed.

A lot of good players in the 10-20 range, it seems.

Any whispers about who the Jets might like? Any dark horses (like Wallinder) that might intrigue the Jets?

What should we expect from Zary in terms of likely NHL projection? He seems like the type of player the Jets might like.

Thoughts on Mercer, Quinn and Jarvis? Which of those do you think the Jets would rank highest?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Jets are really hard to get any info out of. The scouts I know don't work for them but they have all said that the guys they know that scout for them are pretty tight lipped. The only names I have heard that they like are guys like Wallinder and Villeneuve.

I think we can take a good guess at who they like and what they like

Schiefle
Trouba
Morrissey
Ehelrs
Connor
Roslovic
Laine
Stanley
Vesalainen
Heinola

They like players with skating and high hockey IQ. Stanley was the reach pick out of all their picks but he was also a 2nd 1st round pick in what will be considered a weaker draft. I think if they pick in the 10-15 range they likely take the consensus best pick.

I think its likely from a group of Guhle,Zary,Quinn,Mercer,Holloway,Schnieder,and Gunler. I don't think they take Askarov if he still there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets are really hard to get any info out of. The scouts I know don't work for them but they have all said that the guys they know that scout for them are pretty tight lipped. The only names I have heard that they like are guys like Wallinder and Villeneuve.

I think we can take a good guess at who they like and what they like

Schiefle
Trouba
Morrissey
Ehelrs
Connor
Roslovic
Laine
Stanley
Vesalainen
Heinola

They like players with skating and high hockey IQ. Stanley was the reach pick out of all their picks but he was also a 2nd 1st round pick in what will be considered a weaker draft. I think if they pick in the 10-15 range they likely take the consensus best pick.

I think its likely from a group of Guhle,Zary,Quinn,Mercer,Holloway,Schnieder,and Gunler. I don't think they take Askarov if he still there.
Interesting.

Yes, I think that group seems reasonable. I think the Jets might be more inclined to take a N American prospect this year, partly because there are a number of good prospects in the 10-15 range, and partly because they've drafted heavily from Europe in recent years and might want a bit more balance. So, unless they really love Lundell or Holtz and they fall to the Jets' pick, my guess is that they go for a N American prospect (i.e. not Gunler or Mysak or Amirov).

Similarly, I wonder if they might favour opting for a forward, if all else is about equal, since they have a pretty good pipeline on D now and not much forward talent.

I really like Jarvis, but I wonder if the Jets might be a bit reluctant due to size. They haven't shied away from smaller skilled forwards in the past, though (Petan, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic).

This is completely speculative, but I wonder if they might zone in on a group like this...

Zary - smart and talented C with leadership qualities. Not the most skill or talent, but seems to have a strong desire to improve.

Mercer - Similar to Zary, with maybe a bit more skill and not as likely to play C.

Quinn - This year's Scheifele? He was hardly on the radar at the beginning of the season and has only recently graduated to the top leagues for his age group. Seems to have worked hard to get stronger and faster and put it all together this season.

Holloway - Big and fast with plenty of skill and bite to his game. Struggled with the jump to the NCAA but was putting it together late in the season. Might be a C? If Giese (Jets US scout) likes him, I'm okay with that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The trouble is in most of those trades we likely give up on someone else which creates a hole somewhere. There's also the fact that some GM, and it has been proven, don't just call everyone and say hey player x is available what's your best offer? The GM world is weird. When the B's were trying to trade Seguin they targeted Dallas on purpose. Not sure why he wasn't offered up to everyone but they had a player in mind they wanted and went after only that player.

That is an odd one. There are times when an auction might not be the best way to go but I think those should be the exceptions. But it seems to be the rule. We seemed to be the only team in on Stastny.

There always seems to be some GM's who like to work with certain other GM's. History working together might explain some of it. Friendships on one level or another. My guess is that there is a certain kind of a trust relationship. Rightly or wrongly, I think they believe that a certain GM is a straight shooter who won't try to rob them too badly. Why they might think that way is anybody's guess.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just a few observations and comments on this.

First, it seems that HF Jets isn't focused intently on the draft as yet, based on the relatively few number of votes. I guess that's to be expected since the season was just suspended a short while before the poll and most draft rating groups haven't published their reports.

Second, it seems that most respondents are zoned in on a center (over 45% voted for either Lundell or Zary). It might be a situation of best player available, since both are highly rated, but I wonder if position is a factor.

Less than 20% voted for a D, perhaps reflecting the paucity of good D at the top of this draft class, or perhaps confidence in the Jets' D pipeline (Samberg, Heinola, Niku, Chisholm, etc.).

Not many voted for a "wild card", even though there are a few out there. Perhaps there will be more interest as more publications start to publish reviews.

For me, I would like more information about some of the more intriguing prospects that some are touting for the 10-15 range. These include:

Gunler (some eye popping numbers and strong rankings. Older player, and some questions about why he was excluded from international tournaments).

Mysak (pops up in several rankings in the 10-15 range).

Quinn (older player, but late riser. What's his trajectory?)

Amirov (on some top-15 lists. Seems like a highly talented player, but Russian uncertainty might lower his appeal).

Lapierre (lots of scouting groups rave about his skill and potential, but huge questions about health).

Any other intriguing players that others are interested in?

I thought Jacob Perreault looked interesting, especially if we had made it into the PO and drafted a little later, or managed to acquire a later 1st somehow.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That is an odd one. There are times when an auction might not be the best way to go but I think those should be the exceptions. But it seems to be the rule. We seemed to be the only team in on Stastny.

There always seems to be some GM's who like to work with certain other GM's. History working together might explain some of it. Friendships on one level or another. My guess is that there is a certain kind of a trust relationship. Rightly or wrongly, I think they believe that a certain GM is a straight shooter who won't try to rob them too badly. Why they might think that way is anybody's guess.

In my fantasy hockey dynasty league there are certain guys I tend to trade with more. And there are certain guys I tend to avoid. It's a 16 team league but I only really trade with 6 or 7 others. I think sometimes you just know that some guys are hard to deal with and will always low ball no matter what.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought Jacob Perreault looked interesting, especially if we had made it into the PO and drafted a little later, or managed to acquire a later 1st somehow.
Perreault is an intriguing prospect. He seems like a bit of a sleeper that might go lower than he should.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who are the list of OHL player to hit 50 goals in their draft year or prior? I know Jack Quinn is there, Tavares, Kane, Debrincat, Stamkos and Kaliyev, but any other names?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In my fantasy hockey dynasty league there are certain guys I tend to trade with more. And there are certain guys I tend to avoid. It's a 16 team league but I only really trade with 6 or 7 others. I think sometimes you just know that some guys are hard to deal with and will always low ball no matter what.

Yup. And yet there are probably others who are more likely to deal with some of the ones you avoid.

Probably some interesting material there for some social scientist to study how we bond and interact.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting.

Yes, I think that group seems reasonable. I think the Jets might be more inclined to take a N American prospect this year, partly because there are a number of good prospects in the 10-15 range, and partly because they've drafted heavily from Europe in recent years and might want a bit more balance. So, unless they really love Lundell or Holtz and they fall to the Jets' pick, my guess is that they go for a N American prospect (i.e. not Gunler or Mysak or Amirov).

Similarly, I wonder if they might favour opting for a forward, if all else is about equal, since they have a pretty good pipeline on D now and not much forward talent.

I really like Jarvis, but I wonder if the Jets might be a bit reluctant due to size. They haven't shied away from smaller skilled forwards in the past, though (Petan, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic).

This is completely speculative, but I wonder if they might zone in on a group like this...

Zary - smart and talented C with leadership qualities. Not the most skill or talent, but seems to have a strong desire to improve.

Mercer - Similar to Zary, with maybe a bit more skill and not as likely to play C.

Quinn - This year's Scheifele? He was hardly on the radar at the beginning of the season and has only recently graduated to the top leagues for his age group. Seems to have worked hard to get stronger and faster and put it all together this season.

Holloway - Big and fast with plenty of skill and bite to his game. Struggled with the jump to the NCAA but was putting it together late in the season. Might be a C? If Giese (Jets US scout) likes him, I'm okay with that.

This cluster is interesting and I watched footage of all of them today and there is a chance Lindell ends up in this grouping too.

Honestly its hard to go wrong with any of the 5 guys. Lindell is the only guy in this group where I 100% sure he is going to slot into a center role. Zary should but his skating could hold him back as far as playing center.

I like your comment about Geise and what he sees in Holloway because Holloway's usage would have been the toughest this season but boy is he visually appealing with that insane skating and physicality. Lindell is elite defensively (IQ) and I find that idea droll worthy for our 2nd line center on our Jets team. He has a bit of that Mark Stone puck thief in him too and he is producing points with some elite company for his age and the league. Quinn did come out of nowhere and he is old and his numbers were only .5 PPG last season as almost a draft eligible player but it was his rookie season on a strong team. He looks great in the footage I saw and I love his game. Best shot I have seen of any kid so far, wicked hands too for dangling, bit of an edge to his game. What I like is he did most of his scoring while not playing with Rossi so he didn't ride his coattails.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Now that Samberg is signed...

I think for sure the Jets will draft best player available in the first...

His signing changes a few things...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Now that Samberg is signed...

I think for sure the Jets will draft best player available in the first...

His signing changes a few things...

Yeah I trust that the Jets have a good list and have likely really honed in on someone with all this free time. I just hope that the draft goes as they anticipate and they get the guy they project themselves getting. Of course there could always be a faller but outside of Askarov I'd be pretty happy with most players. Some more than others but I think they will make the right decision.

Reactions: John Agar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad