Speculation: Who should the Isles pursue this offseason and what should we give up for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Im not against trading Nielsen, but i feel like a lot of you guys are only remembering what he did in the playoffs. Let's not forget he was playing with a sprained ankle. Trading a Nielsen will leave a hole on offense that won't be easy to fix. The guy is great at nothing (save for shootouts) and good at everything.

His offensive production is inflated because of the PP time he gets that he shouldn't get.

He was 10th on the team in ES points last year, with 22. He had 35 last season, one in which he was relied on more heavily for scoring. His offensive production shouldn't be that difficult to replace.

I'm not just thinking about his playoff performance. I'm thinking about how he can't win faceoffs and can't play defense against the massive forwards that are all throughout our division. Ovechkin, Nash, Malkin, Staal, Voracek, etc. He struggles against them and his offensive production does not offset his inability to win draws or shut these players down.

I don't think we should move him for nothing, like picks or prospects, but if it's a roster player coming back, I really see no reason not to move him at this point.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Friedman expects a wild draft weekend, with a lot of trades.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-armstrong-will-be-very-active/
“I think there is a lot. I think there is an awful lot out there. It’s going to be crazy. I think the draft this year has the potential – it’s going to be interesting because the draft always is – but in terms of player movement, I think this has a chance to be one of the wildest drafts that we’ve seen.”

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-armstrong-will-be-very-active/
“I think there is a lot. I think there is an awful lot out there. It’s going to be crazy. I think the draft this year has the potential – it’s going to be interesting because the draft always is – but in terms of player movement, I think this has a chance to be one of the wildest drafts that we’ve seen.â€

The league has entered the saturation point of too many players on long term contracts, few quality free agents, and underperforming players. Thus, teams are just going to be moving contracts first, players second.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

“I think there is a lot. I think there is an awful lot out there. It’s going to be crazy. I think the draft this year has the potential – it’s going to be interesting because the draft always is – but in terms of player movement, I think this has a chance to be one of the wildest drafts that we’ve seen.â€
This is said every year. I love draft day but I don't get my hopes up.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This is said every year. I love draft day but I don't get my hopes up.

I see several teams in cap hell and a few teams who will try to take advantage, like the isles did last season.

Then there are the underachievers like San Jose/St. Louis. I am expecting some talented players to be moved.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I see several teams in cap hell and a few teams who will try to take advantage, like the isles did last season.

Then there are the underachievers like San Jose/St. Louis. I am expecting some talented players to be moved.

Fair point, but the teams in cap trouble are more likely to wait all offseason before giving up their better assets, as we saw with Leddy/Boychuk. I think the SJ/STL and teams of that ilk are more likely to make bold moves on draft day.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I would not move Neilson....I would concentrate on using him better. Our team's most GLARING NEED: DEFENSE.

We're moving Tavares to line 2 to make room for Petrov, this we all know. But we need to spend on DEFENSE and that might give players like Tavares who have to superpowers a chance to contribute in the new era.

Go for a top defenseman, a true number one, and we'll see our defense improve vastly. That would allow one of the kids to come in and replace Strait without exposing one of our pairings if the automatic improvement of a higher slotted d-man being moved back is considered.

Up front, if there is something in a two way scoring threat to be had - grab him! Don't go after the scoring threat on the cheap again or the older vet.

And I'm comfy in net with Neuverth(sp). Petrov will remove one third of the scoring chances on his own. Tavares will be relied upon to play sound defense with the new dynamic of the Russian Relegate coming in.

Okposo - Petrov - Petrov's entourage/band
Bailey (pushups for Petrov) - Tavares - Vlad Putin (Petrov demands his friend be signed)
Nelson - Neilson (who will be Petrov's roommate) - Strome (walks Petrov's dog between shifts)
Martin (fights for Petrov's glory) - Cizikas - Clutterpetrov (notice the name change on his birth certificate)

The lineup works for me. We obviously have to let some people go.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I would not move Neilson....I would concentrate on using him better. Our team's most GLARING NEED: DEFENSE.

We're moving Tavares to line 2 to make room for Petrov, this we all know. But we need to spend on DEFENSE and that might give players like Tavares who have to superpowers a chance to contribute in the new era.

Go for a top defenseman, a true number one, and we'll see our defense improve vastly. That would allow one of the kids to come in and replace Strait without exposing one of our pairings if the automatic improvement of a higher slotted d-man being moved back is considered.

Up front, if there is something in a two way scoring threat to be had - grab him! Don't go after the scoring threat on the cheap again or the older vet.

And I'm comfy in net with Neuverth(sp). Petrov will remove one third of the scoring chances on his own. Tavares will be relied upon to play sound defense with the new dynamic of the Russian Relegate coming in.

Okposo - Petrov - Petrov's entourage/band
Bailey (pushups for Petrov) - Tavares - Vlad Putin (Petrov demands his friend be signed)
Nelson - Neilson (who will be Petrov's roommate) - Strome (walks Petrov's dog between shifts)
Martin (fights for Petrov's glory) - Cizikas - Clutterpetrov (notice the name change on his birth certificate)

The lineup works for me. We obviously have to let some people go.

OTH, you know well enough that you can't just "get" a true number one. You have to draft one and develop him. What you can get, albeit still not simply, is a veteran top 4 type guy, which may be all we need.

You should also know it's "Nielsen" and not "Neilson"! ;)

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
OTH, you know well enough that you can't just "get" a true number one. You have to draft one and develop him. What you can get, albeit still not simply, is a veteran top 4 type guy, which may be all we need.

You should also know it's "Nielsen" and not "Neilson"! ;)
Petrov does not have an "I" in his name. Changes are not all going to be pleasant.:nod:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Fair point, but the teams in cap trouble are more likely to wait all offseason before giving up their better assets, as we saw with Leddy/Boychuk. I think the SJ/STL and teams of that ilk are more likely to make bold moves on draft day.

Last offseason it was the Hawks and Bruins in cap hell

Now? The Kings, Bruins, NYR and Hawks are all in cap hell. I think we will see them shopping their high priced forwards to the same teams(Edmonton, FL, NYI and Buffalo. The teams not against the cap or an internal budget). Can these cap challenged teams really afford to wait until training camp, when most teams will have spent their budget $?
I would think that getting high draft picks/cost controlled youngsters would be a priority.

Then there are the playoff disappointments anxious to change the makeup of their roster.

Crispy385

Jul 23, 2008
Last offseason it was the Hawks and Bruins in cap hell

Now? The Kings, Bruins, NYR and Hawks are all in cap hell. I think we will see them shopping their high priced forwards to the same teams(Edmonton, FL, NYI and Buffalo. The teams not against the cap or an internal budget). Can these cap challenged teams really afford to wait until training camp, when most teams will have spent their budget $?
I would think that getting high draft picks/cost controlled youngsters would be a priority.

Then there are the playoff disappointments anxious to change the makeup of their roster.

After their relatively nice playoff run, I see Calgary being big buyers as well, and they have plenty of cap space to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad