Speculation: Who should the Isles pursue this offseason and what should we give up for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Notes:
- Chicago is not moving Saad. Not happening at this juncture. They'll depart with Sharp long before Saad. They'll depart with other pieces long before Saad.
- After TRADING for Leddy and Boychuk, this is not the year to TRADE for another top 4 Dman, not with Reinhart, Pulock and Mayfield already in the system and soon pushing for a job while belief exists that de Haan is still going to be a gamer. Patience. The 'temporary' number 4 Dman will have to come through free agency. A guy like Nekladal (UFA signing by CAL) probably would have fit the bill. Would think McQuad would look real good as a UFA signing.
- If Snow has ANY inkling that he'll not be resigning Nielsen as a UFA next summer, one who'll command 4 million per, and wants something specific NOW, then Frans has to be shopped as part of the talk/package. His value is still considerable at the moment. A good GM makes use of that in such a situation.
- I believe people in the business are seeing Nelson as a left wing in the long run. After seeing him centered by Eichel at the WC, I can see why. Thus, I don't know why he shouldn't be an LW option with JT going into next season.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Who does he make better? I don't think he makes anyone but Grabner better. Okposo has done fine without Nielsen. Bailey has done fine without Nielsen. The Kids have all done fine without Nielsen. Kulemin and Grabovski have done fine without Nielsen.

I think Nielsen's effect is more subtle than that. I think his very even disposition is good for the young guys.

His size is an issue on a team that lacks size. His inability to win faceoffs is an issue on a team that can't win faceoffs. Those are two areas of concern that could be addressed this summer, and it'd likely be at the expense of Nielsen or Grabner...because there's no way we're adding more forwards and keeping both of them.

I love Nielsen, but his time is coming to an end here. It might not be this summer or season, but I really don't see how he'll be brought back as a UFA next summer.

Completely agree. Nielsen's career is going to outlive his usefulness to the Islanders when he reaches UFA. But that doesn't mean he should be dealt.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Sentimentality in a salary capped NHL can get you in trouble.

Who is being sentimental?

Notes:
- Chicago is not moving Saad. Not happening at this juncture. They'll depart with Sharp long before Saad. They'll depart with other pieces long before Saad.
- After TRADING for Leddy and Boychuk, this is not the year to TRADE for another top 4 Dman, not with Reinhart, Pulock and Mayfield already in the system and soon pushing for a job while belief exists that de Haan is still going to be a gamer. Patience. The 'temporary' number 4 Dman will have to come through free agency. A guy like Nekladal (UFA signing by CAL) probably would have fit the bill. Would think McQuad would look real good as a UFA signing.
- If Snow has ANY inkling that he'll not be resigning Nielsen as a UFA next summer, one who'll command 4 million per, and wants something specific NOW, then Frans has to be shopped as part of the talk/package. His value is still considerable at the moment. A good GM makes use of that in such a situation.

Until someone can name something reasonable that Nielsen would be shopped for this is true, but trivial.

Until then, it's obvious to me that Nielsen is the sort of player that is in demand at the trade deadline, but I really hope that he won't need to be shopped then.

I also don't understand the incredible downside of losing a 32 year old Nielsen on the wrong end of his prime to free agency. It happens.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
When I went over to their boards, Kings fans said they'd be down for something around Nielsen and Martinez.

I'd throw in Pelech and one of our extra 3rds. Martinez would look very good at 4M per for the next six years next to Hamonic. He's scored some big goals too.

Just talking about it seems too good to be true though.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. The Kings forum is covering this constantly.

I assume, then, that they would do it only after they sign Sekera. Otherwise, they leave themselves up ship's creek if Sekera signs elsewhere.

Personally, I don't get it. Sekera seems to me only a marginal improvement over Martinez.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Kings need a new 3rd line C with Stoll's issues, and they need to shed a defenseman to keep Sekera?

Really didn't think keeping Sekera was an option, especially with the contracts being given out lately. Richards stays on the books no matter what, right? I'm looking at it now and it's tough, but they figured out a way to stay under the cap last year so who knows.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I like Nielsen for MArtinez a ton more but kicking around the idea of Grabner for Emelin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Really didn't think keeping Sekera was an option, especially with the contracts being given out lately. Richards stays on the books no matter what, right? I'm looking at it now and it's tough, but they figured out a way to stay under the cap last year so who knows.

He stays on the books as long as someone doesn't trade for him. Which won't happen, without them eating at least part of his salary. If we were able to grab Martinez, that'd solidify the back end and would ensure only one rookie would be playing.

Leddy Boychuck
Martinez Hamonic
de Haan Pulock/Reinhart/Mayfield/Lubo

Strait

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
When I went over to their boards, Kings fans said they'd be down for something around Nielsen and Martinez.

I'd throw in Pelech and one of our extra 3rds. Martinez would look very good at 4M per for the next six years next to Hamonic. He's scored some big goals too.

Just talking about it seems too good to be true though.

I'm sure we wouldn't need to add more than Nielsen to get Martinez. They need to shed cap, and after Nielsen they can have Nick Shore take that spot full time.

I like Nielsen for MArtinez a ton more but kicking around the idea of Grabner for Emelin

I'm more on board with this too. Emelin brings a dimension we don't have, and I feel he'd be awesome either on a shutdown pair with Hamonic or sheltering Pulock.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm sure we wouldn't need to add more than Nielsen to get Martinez. They need to shed cap, and after Nielsen they can have Nick Shore take that spot full time.

I'm more on board with this too. Emelin brings a dimension we don't have, and I feel he'd be awesome either on a shutdown pair with Hamonic or sheltering Pulock.

Hell, I'd love to do both. Shed another contract on D like Strait and pick up a cheap forward.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Hell, I'd love to do both. Shed another contract on D like Strait and pick up a cheap forward.

I don't think adding 2 top 4 defenseman is realistic. I would take either of Emelin or Martinez. Martinez would cost more, and is smaller. I don't think it would be tough to get Emelin from the Habs.

If we trade Nielsen we need to add an upgrade at center, Nielsen is still a very good player who won't be easy to replace.

If we trade Nielsen we need to replace him with a shutdown center like Hanzal from Arizona. He would be a perfect 3rd line center for us, and would really add a dimension that is lacking from this team.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You guys clearly have a misguided perception of Emelin. He is garbage, especially with that contract. I don't think there's any current contract on the Isles even close to as bad as Emelin's.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

I would not invest $4.1M in a bottom pairing defenseman. There's a reason Habs fans want to trade him with his contract - he's not a great top 4. Also, what would this do to de Haan's ice time? I'm all for adding a top 4 LHD and letting de Haan and Pulock get sheltered minutes, but we don't want to steal ice from these guys completely.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't think adding 2 top 4 defenseman is realistic. I would take either of Emelin or Martinez. Martinez would cost more, and is smaller. I don't think it would be tough to get Emelin from the Habs.

If we trade Nielsen we need to add an upgrade at center, Nielsen is still a very good player who won't be easy to replace.

If we trade Nielsen we need to replace him with a shutdown center like Hanzal from Arizona. He would be a perfect 3rd line center for us, and would really add a dimension that is lacking from this team.

Martinez is cheaper, under contract for more years, is better, and has 60 games of playoff experience and rings to boot. The only thing Emelin has over Martinez is size and at 6'1" 210 while playing out West his whole career, I think Martinez has proved his lack of size is a non-factor. (If you even want to
call that lack of size, I don't think it is).

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I would not invest $4.1M in a bottom pairing defenseman. There's a reason Habs fans want to trade him with his contract - he's not a great top 4. Also, what would this do to de Haan's ice time? I'm all for adding a top 4 LHD and letting de Haan and Pulock get sheltered minutes, but we don't want to steal ice from these guys completely.

Agreed, one of the rookies will be on the team, whether that is Pulock, Reinhart, or Mayfield is to be determined. Dehaan had a sophomore slump, I have confidence he will be back. If he is on the 3rd pair we probably have a top 10 defense. Ideally we add a guy like Sekera or Martin, but I don't see that happening.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If you trade Nielsen for this mystery defenseman, what about signing Vermette to take his place?

Would fill a similar void to Frans but is money on draws (but may also cost too much).

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Agreed, one of the rookies will be on the team, whether that is Pulock, Reinhart, or Mayfield is to be determined. Dehaan had a sophomore slump, I have confidence he will be back. If he is on the 3rd pair we probably have a top 10 defense. Ideally we add a guy like Sekera or Martin, but I don't see that happening.

I always laugh at myself since I seem to write off Reinhart completely, but you do have to consider his development (with another team :sarcasm:) as well. It's great to bring in these guys slowly, but I think you're kicking yourself if you're icing 32 year old $4M trash in 3 years (Emelin) over your precious investments.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Martinez is cheaper, under contract for more years, is better, and has 60 games of playoff experience and rings to boot. The only thing Emelin has over Martinez is size and at 6'1" 210 while playing out West his whole career, I think Martinez has proved his lack of size is a non-factor. (If you even want to
call that lack of size, I don't think it is).

No doubt Martinez is better, but we're going to be giving up much more for Martinez. I would much prefer to spend a bit more money and sign a Erhoff/Sekera/Martin.

Once the defense is solidified we need to get a shutdown center. I would love to add Hanzal, they guy is the exact type of forward we need to add to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad