Who Should Be Captain?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Hoven also predicted that Brown would be playing for the Wild after that deadline.

The trade deadline was February 27th, the Kings were playing in Minnesota on February 28th. That's why Hoven "predicted" Brown would be in Minnesota after the trade deadline.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The rumor was that Brown would've been part of an expanded trade with Columbus that would've included Rick Nash.

They made the right choice not to trade Brown considering how he stepped up as a leader after the 2012 trade deadline. But since the 2013 playoffs, he's been a major disappointment and a shell of his former self. The "take no prisoners" Brown who would check any player wearing opposite colors is gone.

What happened to the Brown that demolished players with open ice hits? He's suddenly become a grinder whose role and skills have dramatically diminished. It's depressing watching him play now. And the same goes for Richards and Williams, two other veterans who are supposed to be leaders.

The bigger problem is this is the cap era, not only has Brown's play diminished but his contract is going up-way up. You cannot afford to pay a 3rd line grinder on the decline almost 6 million dollars a season. I think he'll be given a pass by management and still be on the team next October but I'd like to see Lombardi DEMAND that Brown and Richards do something different as far as their off season conditioning goes. Whatever they're doing isn't working.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Agreed. Useless thread, useless post. Just like that "start Martin Jones" thread. Never gonna happen, nothing is going to change.

I understand this is an open forum and anyone can post anything, but I really don't understand why people speculate on things that have no chance in hell of happening.

I think I might join in, say start a thread "How About The Sun Sets In The East? Thoughts?"

Nice another close minded individual, so your saying no change could ever occur with our Captaincy. Obvious something is not working on the team and somethings are going to change. This is a possibility and could very well happen. Has it not happened on other teams?

Ron*

Nice another close minded individual, so your saying no change could ever occur with our Captaincy. Obvious something is not working on the team and somethings are going to change. This is a possibility and could very well happen. Has it not happened on other teams?

What I am saying is usually you hear public chatter about it. In Los Angeles, you have heard NOTHING about it. THAT is why I am saying you are wasting your time with this topic. Not gonna happen, nothing is going to change, Dustin Brown is the captain and will remain so. Move on.

7w4t.jpg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The bigger problem is this is the cap era, not only has Brown's play diminished but his contract is going up-way up. You cannot afford to pay a 3rd line grinder on the decline almost 6 million dollars a season. I think he'll be given a pass by management and still be on the team next October but I'd like to see Lombardi DEMAND that Brown and Richards do something different as far as their off season conditioning goes. Whatever they're doing isn't working.

Teams have no say on what the players do during the offseason. As per NHLPA. meaning no team workouts etc, Plus richards doesn't workout

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Can you name the other times it's happened? You had Lindros/Desjardins(damn that man) in Philly, but Lindros was on his way out. You had Modano/Morrow in Dallas. In recent history, that's about all I can come up with. Either way, it's rare.

It's possible, going by the definition of the word, but very unlikely to happen as long as Brown is wearing a Kings jersey.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
What happened to the Brown that demolished players with open ice hits? He's suddenly become a grinder whose role and skills have dramatically diminished. It's depressing watching him play now.

He's got other priorities. He's a father of 4 now and it was fairly evident in the NHL revealed shows that his family is first, last and most important.

I have to think that with a lifetime of savings in the bank, a Stanley Cup and a family that he's away from a lot of the year that he doesn't have the same passion or enthusiasm for the game that he once did. The lack of passion for the game is obvious.

Given all that, yes, it's time for a new leader. Brown's checked out. Not that I fault him. He gave the franchise and fans the only championship they've ever had. Good on him, but it's time to move on.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Agreed. Useless thread, useless post. Just like that "start Martin Jones" thread. Never gonna happen, nothing is going to change.

I understand this is an open forum and anyone can post anything, but I really don't understand why people speculate on things that have no chance in hell of happening.

I think I might join in, say start a thread "How About The Sun Sets In The East? Thoughts?"

:laugh: That is gold.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
Can you name the other times it's happened? You had Lindros/Desjardins(damn that man) in Philly, but Lindros was on his way out. You had Modano/Morrow in Dallas. In recent history, that's about all I can come up with. Either way, it's rare.

It's possible, going by the definition of the word, but very unlikely to happen as long as Brown is wearing a Kings jersey.

Marleau in SJ?

Jul 31, 2005
CA

A better question is name me a former Kings captain other than Dave Taylor that hasn't been traded? It almost always happens based on the history of the LA Kings. I guess King fans just forget.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Marleau in SJ?

Yup. That's 3.

A better question is name me a former Kings captain other than Dave Taylor that hasn't been traded? It almost always happens based on the history of the LA Kings. I guess King fans just forget.

Sure, but it's not usually just doing it on the fly. The most recent examples being Gretzky traded when it was clear that version of the Kings was long done. Blake was traded after the contract dispute. Norstrom was traded with a little over a year left in his NHL playing days while the Kings were just starting to rebuild their organization.

Not to mention, if Brown doesn't care anymore, and it's evident on the ice, meaning it's on video for everyone to see, who is going to trade for him?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Yup. That's 3.

Sure, but it's not usually just doing it on the fly. The most recent examples being Gretzky traded when it was clear that version of the Kings was long done. Blake was traded after the contract dispute. Norstrom was traded with a little over a year left in his NHL playing days while the Kings were just starting to rebuild their organization.

Not to mention, if Brown doesn't care anymore, and it's evident on the ice, meaning it's on video for everyone to see, who is going to trade for him?

Garth Snow?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Does fishing count as working out?

He's had some good catches.

normal.jpeg

These guys with their long term security deals really need to kick in an extra gear. If I'm Lombardi, I approach their wives/girlfriends and ask them to hold out in the bedroom. No scoring on the ice = no scoring off the ice.

Ron*

He's had some good catches.

normal.jpeg

These guys with their long term security deals really need to kick in an extra gear. If I'm Lombardi, I approach their wives/girlfriends and ask them to hold out in the bedroom. No scoring on the ice = no scoring off the ice.

Unique approach. Just might work. :)

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Teams have no say on what the players do during the offseason. As per NHLPA. meaning no team workouts etc, Plus richards doesn't workout

In real life DL absolutely does have a say in what the players do in the offseason because he doesn't hand out NTC's. So if DL isn't happy with a players conditioning they can be banished to somewhere like EDM or NYI.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
In real life DL absolutely does have a say in what the players do in the offseason because he doesn't hand out NTC's. So if DL isn't happy with a players conditioning they can be banished to somewhere like EDM or NYI.

The feel when you realize Visnovsky has been banished to both Edmonton and the Islanders...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad