Who Should Be Captain?

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Why not, its a good topic. Brown has shown he is not up to the task. There are silent leaders on teams, to me Brown fits in this category. Doughty seems to thrive with pressure and is good vocally and players like him. He can carry the mantel the pressures with out it affecting his performance in my opinion. Don't want Kopi, all I want him to do is shoot more and worry about playing. Doughty seem the best candidate. Some change needs to happen with this team and this is one of them. Thoughts?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why not, its a good topic. Brown has shown he is not up to the task. There are silent leaders on teams, to me Brown fits in this category. Doughty seems to thrive with pressure and is good vocally and players like him. He can carry the mantel the pressures with out it affecting his performance in my opinion. Don't want Kopi, all I want him to do is shoot more and worry about playing. Doughty seem the best candidate. Some change needs to happen with this team and this is one of them. Thoughts?

Brown captained a team from the basement to the Cup. I think he has shown he's up to the task.

It's been one bad year. Let's see how he recovers before tossing him in the fire.

I don't think Doughty is a bad choice--I even think he can grow into it, but I think there's debate to be had between Kopi and Doughty, and I don't see the "C" getting ripped off Brownie as long as he's here.

Everlast22

NICE STICK
Sep 19, 2013
Indianapolis
I agree with doughty. Brown is over the hill anyway. He has the ability to take over the game. I say Stoll or Carter for "A". Stoll has been showing up as of late.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I still don't understand when some of you say "it's just one bad year." Brown was terrible last year into the playoffs and he was just as bad during the season and in the playoffs. Name me a captain of another team that is experiencing the same issue.

christhn

May 25, 2012
Assuming he doesn't get traded, I think Stoll should be the captain. He does all the talking to the press lately anyways.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Let's not forget how close the team was to trading Brown in 2012 due to his poor play. If he didn't turn his play around, he would've been a goner.

Everlast22

NICE STICK
Sep 19, 2013
Indianapolis
Brown captained a team from the basement to the Cup. I think he has shown he's up to the task.

It's been one bad year. Let's see how he recovers before tossing him in the fire.

I don't think Doughty is a bad choice--I even think he can grow into it, but I think there's debate to be had between Kopi and Doughty, and I don't see the "C" getting ripped off Brownie as long as he's here.

There is some truth to that no doubt. I think some of these new implemented rules have messed with Brown's head. Seems like he doesn't want to get in penalty trouble.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Let's not forget how close the team was to trading Brown in 2012 due to his poor play. If he didn't turn his play around, he would've been a goner.

Maybe, that's the rumor/myth, but we don't know if that's true or just a motivator. Either way, yes, an interesting point.

I still don't understand when some of you say "it's just one bad year." Brown was terrible last year into the playoffs and he was just as bad during the season and in the playoffs. Name me a captain of another team that is experiencing the same issue.

I'm personally saying it's just one bad year though yeah you can make the place that he stunk in the playoffs after the Pominville incident. I pointed it out in the other thread, but he's a very unique player in special company. The only players to have 50-60 points year in and year out and over 200 hits per season are ovechkin and brown. Obviously this year is the outlier and in my humble opinion a freaking knee injury is a pretty good reason. That's why I say I want to see him rebound before we throw dirt on the casket.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The rumor was that Brown would've been part of an expanded trade with Columbus that would've included Rick Nash.

They made the right choice not to trade Brown considering how he stepped up as a leader after the 2012 trade deadline. But since the 2013 playoffs, he's been a major disappointment and a shell of his former self. The "take no prisoners" Brown who would check any player wearing opposite colors is gone.

What happened to the Brown that demolished players with open ice hits? He's suddenly become a grinder whose role and skills have dramatically diminished. It's depressing watching him play now. And the same goes for Richards and Williams, two other veterans who are supposed to be leaders.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Its not just one bad year for me with Brown, Brown is not vocal from what we hear, he needs to lead by example and he did in the past. He had a good run, and will make a great assistant as will Kopi. Doughty was drafted I feel to be the leader of this team and I think that time is upon us. He has all the traits to be a good Captain, Obviously leadership is high on him. His play will not be affected by the change. Some people do well with pressure some don't. I think Brown will be back to his old self playing great with the change in guard so to speak,

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If I made a list of things that needed to be addressed this summer, which player has the fabric C on his sweater wouldn't be on it.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Not sure I'd pick Doughty for captain, somehow I get the feeling he's still viewed as a kid in the locker room. If Brown and Greene are gone then that's two of the captains. I'd give the C to the remaining one, Kopitar, and give an A to Doughty and... I dunno, Stoll maybe.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
The rumor was that Brown would've been part of an expanded trade with Columbus that would've included Rick Nash.

They made the right choice not to trade Brown considering how he stepped up as a leader after the 2012 trade deadline. But since the 2013 playoffs, he's been a major disappointment and a shell of his former self. The "take no prisoners" Brown who would check any player wearing opposite colors is gone.

What happened to the Brown that demolished players with open ice hits? He's suddenly become a grinder whose role and skills have dramatically diminished. It's depressing watching him play now. And the same goes for Richards and Williams, two other veterans who are supposed to be leaders.

Lots of truth in here, there are some serious questions regarding big role players on this team. I like Stoll with an A just not sure how long he will be here, I hope for a while. I like Pearson to. We need to just let Brown play nothing else but just play. I think he would jump in productivity as well with out it.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Don't get me wrong. I like Doughty but I don't see how you could give a captaincy to someone who not only has the worst turnover ratio on the Kings, but who has nearly the worst turnover ratio in the entire league (980th out of 983 players) http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/players/456625/drew-doughty/#Points%20Per%20Game$Trades=1&GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

lol-wut-pear.jpg

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I'm personally saying it's just one bad year though yeah you can make the place that he stunk in the playoffs after the Pominville incident. I pointed it out in the other thread, but he's a very unique player in special company. The only players to have 50-60 points year in and year out and over 200 hits per season are ovechkin and brown. Obviously this year is the outlier and in my humble opinion a freaking knee injury is a pretty good reason. That's why I say I want to see him rebound before we throw dirt on the casket.

Honestly, outside of his monster 2012 playoffs, Brown has been an enigma to me. He is your prototypical power forward but goes through periods of time where you question his leadership and finishing abilities. I used to cringe every time they put him in the shootout. I've always enjoyed the physical side of his game.

I have this feeling that Brown's shelf-life is going to be limited when comparing him to some other players. I always think it's best to trade a guy when he's at his peak and get some new, hungry players.

I also think that Dean is loyal to a fault. He will make moves, but only when his hand is forced. Keeping a perrenial Stanley Cup contender requires a lot of hard decisions to keep the hunger and drive going within a team.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Don't get me wrong. I like Doughty but I don't see how you could give a captaincy to someone who not only has the worst turnover ratio on the Kings, but who has nearly the worst turnover ratio in the entire league (980th out of 983 players) http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/players/456625/drew-doughty/#Points%20Per%20Game$Trades=1&GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

Ya but you forget he" Drew MF'n Doughty. I think he tries things with the puck which I like. What he brings is excitement along the same lines as Kopi and Gabby. Maybe he brings the flare and attitude that is much need to spark a fire for this club.

KingKopitar11*

If something happens to brown, then I vote doughty for captain. No one else. Doughty is by far the most visibly passionate player out there.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
If Brown were to suddenly be traded away somewhere (Which is never going to happen whether anybody likes it or not), Kopi would get the C first. I think Doughty is still too young and immature to be given the C right. Kopi has lead the team in scoring for the past 7 years and he is already a leader on the team and he would certainly deserve it over Doughty if it ever came to deciding this.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Don't see Doughty as a Captain yet. Maybe one day, right now he still has that "kid" mentality from what I gather, which has its positives but I wouldn't give him the C yet. Don't see it in Kopitar either. Kopi's a quiet soldier who goes about doing his best, but I don't necessarily see him rallying the troops.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

There aren't enough facepalms for this post. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad