Who overperformed & who underperformed this season?

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Overperformers:
Fox
Buch
Strome (lotta points, but never really wows)
Blackwell
Kinkaid
Smith (underperformed for his contract but overperformed compared to his past couple seasons)

As expected:
Panarin (would take a lot for him to overperform, we expect this from him)
Lindgren
Miller (some good, some bad, some ugly)
Igor (did well, but not as well as I personally expected)
Mika (very streaky season, not great)

Underperformers:
Everyone else

Don't mean to be blunt, but guys just aren't meeting expectations.

Last edited:

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Miller overperformed simply by making the NHL out of his first (shortened) camp just a couple of years after he switched from forward to defense.

Yet he is apparently horrible with no room for improvement and we need to trade him yesterday.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Overperformers:
Fox
Buch
Strome (lotta points, but never really wows)
Blackwell
Kinkaid
Smith (underperformed for his contract but overperformed compared to his past couple seasons)

As expected:
Panarin (would take a lot for him to overperform, we expect this from him)
Lindgren
Miller (some good, some bad, some ugly)
Igor (did well, but not as well as I personally expected)
Mika (very streaky season, not great)

Underperformers:
Everyone else

Don't mean to be blunt, but guys just aren't meeting expectations.
I dont think anyone other than Foxy and Lindgren blatantly over performed.
Some surprised by actually doing what we expected. If that makes sense. (Eg: Strome)
KAM is in a special category, because what exactly were we expecting? Probably over performed.
Smitty over performed in a role that was much more than expected, despite the game being to quick for him. Makes up for it with his heart and team attitude.

Despite everything, it was a fun year, and happy fans are back, a huge start.
Mark my words, a year in which will go down in history BECAUSE of the ramifications of the Wilson crap. Regardless whether it was going to happen anyway, possibly appearing to be just "poor timing". We will someday say, remember when........

Oh yeah, and we NEED a Captain.

Reactions: CasusBelli

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In terms of guys I was disappointed with, it's probably Howden, Kreider to a degree. Hajek. Chytil was up-and-down, and I really wanted him to take the next step. I know injuries and all that with him. Lemieux while he was here was disappointing. Georgiev was a mixed bag.

Finally, Shesterkin. I love him but I was really hoping he'd just be a force this year, and while at times he looked like a superstar, he had plenty of WTF moments throughout the year. I'm hoping next year he really starts taking over consistently.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider was the biggest disappointment by far but its entirely possible that he was playing through something he really shouldn't have been playing through.

Mika would be 2nd on that list based on expectations but he was probably leaned on too heavily coming off of Covid.

On the opposite side, Strome was better than I thought he'd be and the same goes for Rooney and Buchnevich.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Over Perform: Jacques Martin, Buch, Strome, Fox, Lindgren, Zibs ( post 3.17 ), Vally, NYRs social media, KAM

Under Perform: David Quinn and Oliver, Zibs ( pre 3.17 ), Georgiev for 2-3 months,

Reactions: Maximus and Elliman

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Over Performed

Fox, Lindgren, Buch, Blackwell, Kinkaid, Smith(want him back on a friendly deal)

Expected Performance

Mika, Panarin, Chytil, Lafreniere(got better much better after a slow start but 1st season in NHL), Trouba, Miller, Kravtsov, Rooney

Underperformed

Shesterkin, Kreider, Kakko(more with production), Georgiev, Howden, Hajek

Reactions: Ruggs225

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Overperformed: Fox, Strome, Buchnevich, Blackwell, Hajek¹
As expected: Panarin, Chytil, Lafrenière, Rooney, Gauthier, Howden, Trouba, Lindgren, Miller, Smith, Johnson, Bitetto, Jones, Shesterkin, Kinkaid
Underperformed: Kreider, Zibanejad², Kakko³, DiGiuseppe*, Georgiev

1 - I was not expecting Hajek to even be able to play in the NHL, so while he only provided OK 3rd pairing minutes at best, that was better than expected
2 - I put Zibanejad in this category because of the combination of his early season performance, which wasn't his fault, and his disappearance in important games, which was.
3 - Kakko showed a lot of growth this year, but his lack of offensive production still drops him to the underperformed expectations category.
* - PDG showed little of what made him effective last year

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Based on pre-season expectations...

Overperformed: Panarin, Fox, Miller, Buchnevich, Strome, Lindgren, Smith, Blackwell, Rooney

Underperformed: Lemieux, Howden, Hájek, Kreider, Zibanejad (early on), Johnson

Mixed bag: Lafrenière, Kakko, Shestyorkin
Lol Johnson underperformed from expectations? I didn't even think that was possible.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Fox is of course a great player. But I was sceptical about him early on on the power play after DeAngelo left. Thought he lacked vision. But it took him 1-2 matches to adjust:) Overperformed even on the power play:)

Think most players had OK seasons. Buch overperformed together with Fox. Georgiev struggled early. Most likely because of the DeAngelo incident.

Forgot Kreider. Yes he scores many goals. But for the most part he was missing in action. A couple of years ago he was a line driver. Remember him and Zuuc playing so well together. He had all the speed and power that Zuuc lacked. Maybe he needs to play with another type of center than Zibanejad or Chytil? Seemed to do well with Strome.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Miller overperformed simply by making the NHL out of his first (shortened) camp just a couple of years after he switched from forward to defense.

Yet he is apparently horrible with no room for improvement and we need to trade him yesterday.

Yup. Not only will Miller never improve, he will also shrink. When he is 30 he will be 3 feet tall.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

There's a reason between actively looking to trade someone and trading someone for the right return.

I think aside from Fox, Panarin, Kakko and Lafrenière everyone is available for the right return.

Reactions: Rongomania

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I was wrong about Laf. Called him “a bust” about a week before he started coming good.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
I was really impressed by Miller this year. Making the team was nice to see, but to stay up with the club, and come back strong after shifts and periods where he definitely faced some rookie adversity. It’s rare that rookie defenseman don’t have real slide periods, that require sitting some games or hitting the minors for a bit. This season there was basically ZERO refinement coaching. We’ve heard Valiquette and Quinn talk about it often enough; one game ends and you go right into your scouting work up for the next game.

with so little time for correction, I could’ve easily seen Miller bounce in and out of the line-up when he struggled. But he didn’t, and I can’t remember a back to back where his rookie struggles seemed outside of whatever team struggles were going on.

before this season I saw him more as potential trade bait, the kind of player that can get added to a potential killer of a trade. Now I see such a bright future for him, I worry that trading him would be one of Steve Dangle’s trade tree nightmares.

Reactions: Brief Candle

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Over: Fox, Miller, Blackwell, Buch

Neutral: Trouba, Lindgren, Panarin, Strome, Smith, Kakko, Rooney

Under: everyone else, not including guys like Barron who only got a few games in

KAM over performed by making the team and playing top 4 minutes all year, even if the results varied.

Reactions: mas0764

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
I was wrong about Laf. Called him “a bust” about a week before he started coming good.

Not to start this again but.....

so a 19 year old playing in the nhl for the first time, during covid, no training camp, after a dozen games.... you labeled him a bust

Does it not seem ridiculous?

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Lafreniere only underperformed because Matthews scored 4 goals in his NHL debut and threw everyone's expectations out of whack

Might have also had something to do with Lafreniere's 1 point in his first 17 games or whatever.

But yeah there were reasons for that and he warmed up later. I would say I'm higher on Lafreniere going into his second year than I was on Kakko entering his second year.

If Quinn remains it needs to be stressed to him again: Getting Kakko to put up points is priority number 1.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Would have thought there'd be more respect for Trouba after watching our team unravel when he went out.

I thought Laf had a pretty damn good season for a rookie and he is 100% going to be a stud player in this league.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad