Who overperformed & who underperformed this season?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Laf was fine. For all the hype Stutzle was getting the only difference between their seasons ended up being PP production.

Fox overperformed but was brought down by Zibs slow start. So maybe he performed at the right level.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
Kreider was the biggest disappointment by far but its entirely possible that he was playing through something he really shouldn't have been playing through.

Mika would be 2nd on that list based on expectations but he was probably leaned on too heavily coming off of Covid.

On the opposite side, Strome was better than I thought he'd be and the same goes for Rooney and Buchnevich.
I'm giving guys like Mika and Kreider a pass, Mika's dealing with COVID really hurt his play, he wasn't the same until he was completely over it, Kreider was off to a hot start, slowed down. I think Kakko, Laf, Miller, Lindy, Fox, Igor all did well. Surprised by how good Rooney & Blackwell were. Disappointed by Howden, and Gauthier. Chytil was up and down, but the injury sucked. Trouba was up and down, had a bad break with the thumb injury, he only played 38 games, hope he comes back strong in 2021-2022 season. Brendan Smith played really well, yeah he's overpaid, but for what it is, he was good IMO. Buch was great, I hope it wasn't a one time thing, cause if he's that way every year, I'd love to see him locked up long term, or at least on a 3yr deal similar to Lindgren, only for something like $5M-$5.5M AAV, not sure if that's fair or not.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I thought Blackwell was a great surprise most of the year but disappeared in the last 10 or so games. I thought Rooney was good early but leveled off quickly. Chytil seemed to have moves but no hands. Obviously he was one short. If he doesn't recover from that injury next season and start scoring I'll start to sour on him. We'll have to see what the new coach does with the kids.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I thought Blackwell was a great surprise most of the year but disappeared in the last 10 or so games. I thought Rooney was good early but leveled off quickly. Chytil seemed to have moves but no hands. Obviously he was one short. If he doesn't recover from that injury next season and start scoring I'll start to sour on him. We'll have to see what the new coach does with the kids.
Chytil would be great if they could just teach him to handle passes better. He receives passes like he's playing with a broom.

He's obviously got talent, so it shouldn't be something he can't learn.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony

I think with blackwell what hurts him is he started getting moved around a lot with kravsof, kreider, and laf all gettinf shuffled. I think he still played good hockey but he wasn't still getting the good same looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad