Who moves now after johnny hockey signed??

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not sure we could pull a 3rd for a straight cap dump.
He's not a straight cap dump, though. 50 points is pretty damn good secondary scoring.

That the reason we're moving him is due to salary doesn't inherently diminish what he is.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Let's get greedy and trade Bean, Chinakhov and 2023 1st for Chychrun. Meets their criteria - three 1st or former 1sts.

Seems to me Nyquist is the most logical oddman out, but I don't trust this FO to not value his "intangibles" over Laine's goal scoring ability.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trade Gus now and tell him he's welcome to come back next off season as a ufa. If he loves Columbus so much, sign for a discounted price lol.

On a unrelated note. Any concern for a Laine offer sheet?
Sure, some concern. But at the same time, if someone does it, it's likely costing them 4 firsts. Or at least two.

And we'd gladly take the firsts and the financial stability.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'm not sure we're going to need to do a cap dump. We're not over the cap. I think the Gaudrau move might make Laine expendable. It's a head scracther for me. It's fascinating and I love it!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure we're going to need to do a cap dump. We're not over the cap. I think the Gaudrau move might make Laine expendable. It's a head scracther for me. It's fascinating and I love it!

But...we could keep both. Unclear if Gudbranson signing was needed to get Gaudreau. If not, that's a massive waste of $4m.

Laine-center-Voracek
Gaudreau-center-Bjorkstrand
Johnson/Texier-center-Chinakhov/Marchenko

This team needs to jettison its glut of AAAA forwards. But I think they also need to figure out how they want to build out the top 9 and go from there.

Nyquist only has one year left and doesn't seem like he'll factor into this team's future. Trade him for what you can.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Frankly will hate to see anyone go, but Nyquist seems the obvious choice. I think it's either him or Voracek, but I would hate to see Voracek go even more. He's just too funny a guy :D And besides his playmaking, I think what he brings to the room is important. I can't see them wanting to move Bjorkstrand, though with that contract I think teams would be lining up to get a piece. The only way I see Bjorkie getting moved is if he's not happy in CBJ anymore for whatever reason. Otherwise you simply won't let him go.

Between Laine, Gaudreau, Voracek and Bjorkstrand you have two good goal scorers, elite playmaker in Voracek and Gaudreau who can do both but is more of a playmaker. That's a great group for top6 wing.

Reactions: db2011 and Viqsi

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We have an elite playmaker on our hands and you’d be okay sending an elite goal scorer away ?

I would like to see that one two punch combo, personally

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Why are people even thinking that we’d move Bjorkstrand? 4 more years under contract at a good cap hit.

The return would have to be a 1st and good C prospect to even consider it
Yes and nobody is giving us that so no trade !

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
We have an elite playmaker on our hands and you’d be okay sending an elite goal scorer away ?

I would like to see that one two punch combo, personally
No, my head is still spinning trying to figure out how this shakes out. I want Laine and Johhny and a#1 Center. I want it all!

Reactions: NotWendell

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I think we'll know a little more tomorrow after 1pm EST, when Jarmo and Gaudreau meet with the media.
The question of Laine and who else might have to be moved will surely come up, even though Jarmo won't say too much.....

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
But...we could keep both. Unclear if Gudbranson signing was needed to get Gaudreau. If not, that's a massive waste of $4m.

Laine-center-Voracek
Gaudreau-center-Bjorkstrand
Johnson/Texier-center-Chinakhov/Marchenko

This team needs to jettison its glut of AAAA forwards. But I think they also need to figure out how they want to build out the top 9 and go from there.

Nyquist only has one year left and doesn't seem like he'll factor into this team's future. Trade him for what you can.
Stop it! Our little kids got destroyed by big people in the NHL last year. $4m is peanuts to protect our goal and our slight forwards.

Give Sillinger and KJ a year or two and we have our legit home grown 1C
Disagree. I don't think either of those guys are a classic #1 Center.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Stop it! Our little kids got destroyed by big people in the NHL last year. $4m is peanuts to protect our goal and our slight forwards.

Disagree. I don't think either of those guys are a classic #1 Center.
I mean Miller or Point didnt look like that either but became such

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm actually wanting to send Nyquist to Nashville at a discount. Because my hope was that the Preds would get a second-line scoring winger to shelter Tomasino and/or Tolvanen. Original hope was that that would be Patches, but he went to Carolina, and so I was actually walking away from trade coverage in a sour mood when a friend (@BigFatCat999) messaged me with THE NEWS. I actually suspect he'd be a great fit there - and selfishly, it'd feel a little less bittersweet for me personally if he's taking on the same role he did here with my other team. :)

(Now, if only I can sell other Preds fans on that...)

Reactions: AppalachianFinn13

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'm actually wanting to send Nyquist to Nashville at a discount. Because my hope was that the Preds would get a second-line scoring winger to shelter Tomasino and/or Tolvanen. Original hope was that that would be Patches, but he went to Carolina, and so I was actually walking away from trade coverage in a sour mood when a friend (@BigFatCat999) messaged me with THE NEWS. I actually suspect he'd be a great fit there - and selfishly, it'd feel a little less bittersweet for me personally if he's taking on the same role he did here with my other team. :)

(Now, if only I can sell other Preds fans on that...)

I'm thinking Nashville and Detroit are two good spots for Gus

Reactions: Fro

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Why are people even thinking that we’d move Bjorkstrand? 4 more years under contract at a good cap hit.

The return would have to be a 1st and good C prospect to even consider it

No clue why people are suggesting Bjorkstrand, unless the return is great (which is admittedly a possibility, but even then, would probably involve a lot of futures, which isn't ideal). The obvious answer is Nyquist, but that'd be tough to swallow.

One name I haven't seen mentioned much (if at all) in this thread (and that would also suck...) would be Voracek. Would possibly have to retain a bit (but only two years left) and/or not get much in return (but I doubt he'd have negative value). Would clear a ton of space.

But this is why I just wasn't a fan of the Gudbranson signing, unless he's actually the reason Gaudreau signed here.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
A big NO to trading Nyquist, a guy that actually chose to come here. I like Oliver but he's the odd man out for me if Jarmo can find the right return.
I don't like trading Oliver, even when his last season was quite awful defensively. He is overall a great player and on a sweet contract. But on the other hand, his trade value might be pretty high, and much higher than that of Gus.

I do like the quiet + effective play of Gus though, but I am not sure if there is a spot for him on the roster.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Nyquist is the logical candidate. He only has 1 year left & I'm 99% sure he isn't going to be resigned. His cap hit makes him easier to move. Could retain 2mm of his $ and still be cap compliant by a few bucks.

Jake is #2 logical but his cap hit is tough to get around. Plus he brings more to the table than GV. Can't retain more than about 2mm of his salary so another thing that makes him unlikely to move. Plus we'd have to retain for 2 years.

I don't see any other logical candidates.

In either case the Jackets are not getting anything worthwhile in return imo. Jarmo is bent over and other GM's will take advantage. Best to hope for is some picks and/or middling prospects. Think about it. Unless its a couple of really good draft choices you just can't take cap back.

I doubt we get much for Foudy & Bemstrom but they are worth a try to move so they don't get claimed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad