Who moves now after johnny hockey signed??

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Screw Nyquist. He is a mediocre hockey player who was loyal to Columbus because nobody else wanted him. Gaudreau, Laine & Borkstrand on the same team ??? Yes a thousand times yes.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the Jackets are wanting to compete now and want an actual good return for the ousted player, it makes sense to deal Bjorkstrand. He would probably get you a pretty good player in return

Reactions: Toe Pick

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If the Jackets are wanting to compete now and want an actual good return for the ousted player, it makes sense to deal Bjorkstrand. He would probably get you a pretty good player in return
In terms of payback, you're right. But where is it written that one of the young players will replace him? Bjorkie is a very versatile player. And A on his jersey doesn't have for his beautiful eyes. 😉

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I posted a similar version of this earlier, this lineup is cap compliant with about a million to spare if Laine comes in at $9m per:

Gaudreau - KJ - Laine
Texier - Roslovic - Bjorkstrand
Marchenko - Sillinger - Voracek
Robinson - Kuraly - Jenner
Danforth
Foudy

Werenski - Blankenburg
Gavrikov - Peeke
Bean - Gudbranson
Boqvist

Merzlikins
Korpisalo

The only cap clearing move is moving out Nyquist. I made a few other decisions like sending Chinakhov to Cleveland, Bemstrom traded, etc..
I see zero chance KJ starts as #1 C. Give me some scrub that can win a faceoff, I need nothing else for that line.

You guys love Tex, I don't.

I see Marchenko, Sillinger, and Voracek on line two.

I'm not sure what to do with Bjorkstrand.

Reactions: Mestaruus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I see zero chance KJ starts as #1 C. Give me some scrub that can win a faceoff, I need nothing else for that line.

You guys love Tex, I don't.

I see Marchenko, Sillinger, and Voracek on line two.

I'm not sure what to do with Bjorkstrand.

Yeah KJ is probably not ready to win enough draws for that.

If Marchenko - Sillinger - Voracek is a line then you can call it second line or third line, doesn't matter to me. But just knowing coaches they're going to play the heck out of Bjorkstrand and Texier who are the best two-way guys.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Fine, let's imagine that Bjorkie is traded. Now for whom/what? First of all, if there was a quality player in the trade, his contract would be there. The picks are nice though, but we have a lot of talented youngsters. And if the new player doesn't play in Bjork's position, what are the chances of one of the youngsters replacing him?

Fine, we have the Gaudreau --Sillinger/Jenner -- Laine pairing. And then?
Marchenko -- Roslovic -- Voracek
Jenner -- Johnson -- Chinakhov

With all due respect, our youngsters need to learn how to win, and it doesn't take just one great pairing and a load of youngsters to do it. Especially when Bjorkie is only 27.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If the point is to move cap, won’t a “pretty good player” coming back not really help?
Depends if this good player is on a cost controlled contract.

If we're just trying to shed salary, then yeah, its Gus pretty easy call. But if we're actually trying to get something back, it looks like Bjorky to me.

(Assuming we keep Laine still of course)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Depends if this good player is on a cost controlled contract.

If we're just trying to shed salary, then yeah, its Gus pretty easy call. But if we're actually trying to get something back, it looks like Bjorky to me.

(Assuming we keep Laine still of course)
I'm pretty sure shedding salary is going to be the goal here. Part of the cost of getting Gaudreau and keeping Laine.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
For the record, I'm over the moon excited that we got the #1 player on the UFA market. At the same time I would have preferred Giroux on a 3 year deal even at a massive overpay. But, here we go, win now.

As I see it, our defense is either set or coming. Our offense is centered around Johhny, Jake, Cole, KJ, probably Laine, and Marchenko. The rest are available in my opinion.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If Gus is in fact the guy, I don't think they're just going to banish him out to Arizona or Chicago unless there are literally no other options.

This may wait for a bit, and the teams that strike out on Kadri or the other remaining guys may circle back and get him

Detroit, NYI, Ottawa, Calgary, Buffalo, Jersey, Anaehim, and Seattle are all options for his full cap hit too. I especially think Seattle could be enticing for him

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Gus has been a good warrior for us, but trading him makes the most sense right now.

Bean will likely be the other choice.

I would love to keep both Tex and Robinson

Reactions: majormajor

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Trade Gus now and tell him he's welcome to come back next off season as a ufa. If he loves Columbus so much, sign for a discounted price lol.

On a unrelated note. Any concern for a Laine offer sheet?

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Since CBJ qualified Laine $7.5M, isn't that already factored into their current payroll?
So they don't have to factor in his whole new contract, just whatever additionally he ends up making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad