Who makes the cut? (23 man roster)

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I guess. I'm surprised we didn't just keep Butler around until Gunnar is back.

Guess that proves how bad Butler truly is. Team would rather have an empty spot than keep Butler on the roster.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
We are sitting at 6 defensemen right now and an open spot. It could be that we are holding the 7th spot open for Lindbohm but letting him get some AHL playing time instead of riding the pressbox. If no one gets hurt he plays some games in the AHL, if someone gets banged up for a game or two he makes a comeback. If Butler was the 7th D and someone got hurt but not put on IR we wouldn't be able to call up Lindbohm to replace them.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
why? He isn't going to play. Probably waiting to see if someone better tries to pass thru waivers and the Blues may pick them up.

Exactly. Paajarvi fills what he does but better. There's no real reason for him to stay up. It's not like it he would get claimed on waivers or that it would matter if he did.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Porter is fine as the last forward. We aren't hurting his development and it's pretty normal to carry two extra forwards. I'd rather carry Porter and let Jaskin play every day in Chicago if Jaskin isn't in a top 9 role with us.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Porter is the type you want in a 14th forward. He isn't going to complain when he doesn't play, he isn't a young guy so there isn't a risk of ruining his development, and if there is a major injury, you can still callup a proper replacement from the minors. He can easily rotate into the 4th line with Paajarvi or Ott doing spot relief in the top 9 if one of those guys needs a rest.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
From JR:
Army felt Lindbohm would go back to Finland. When they told him he was close to #nhl, he opted for #ahl, saying he's a North American player

Army says Binnington will be 3rd goal, but his performance will dictate that. Club has talked to Wolves' Matt Climie about #nhl contract.

I had Gunnarsson going to IR on my original tweet. That is not the case. He's part of roster, thus 23. But really 22 since he's not heathly

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Makes sense. Very exciting to hear that Lindbohm made that decision himself and wasn't something that Army pressured him into. I'd think he could get into 20 or so games depending on how injuries go. He's definitely the 8th guy over Butler. I hope he gets at least a little bit of a taste during the season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm thrilled for Lindbohm. I don't wish for injuries on anyone, but I hope he gets a cup of coffee with the club this year and gets his first NHL game.

Gunnarson is probably available "in an emergency". My understanding is that its all conditioning now, since he is no longer restricted (red jersey) in practice.

I agree with the sentiments above that Porter makes sense as a spare forward.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
All the talk, and it is exactly as was expected since the summer? :laugh:

Nice that Fabbri has shown so much, but it would be crazy to look at him now if he isn't ready to stick in the NHL. Wait until his CHL season is finished and look at him at the end of the season, you never know what could be the case at that point.

Porter is on the roster because, as others have said, he is an ideal 14th forward. Jaškin would be an everyday player on a lot of teams, but he still has more than enough holes in his game to benefit from playing 18 minutes a night in the AHL.

Great news about Lindbohm, it is the best decision for his development. I'm not surprised that we've spoke to Climie either, only logical move.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Army was thinking Fabbri would take 2 years in Juniors and 1 year in AHL, and now Fabbri might have sped that process up to being on the roster next season. Lindstrom and Berglund better perform and in Lindstrom's case also sign a team-friendly deal because Fabbri and Jaskin are right on their heel's for next season.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Army was thinking Fabbri would take 2 years in Juniors and 1 year in AHL, and now Fabbri might have sped that process up to being on the roster next season. Lindstrom and Berglund better perform and in Lindstrom's case also sign a team-friendly deal because Fabbri and Jaskin are right on their heel's for next season.

Not only those two, but Barbashev as well. Possibly Rattie.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Rattie will never be an NHLer.

I'm a Rattie skeptic, and think he may not wind up breaking into the NHL with the Blues, but that seems pretty extreme.

He plays a top 6 (top 9 on a team like STL) game, but not good enough to endanger anyone's role now. What makes you so sure he will never break through?

For me, I see him getting traded to another team somewhere along the way before he is a regular NHLer.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Final roster isn't surprising at all. Porter and Paajarvi are typical press box guys on this team.

Nice to see that Lindbohm is sticking around - that makes up for the loss of Prosser, so our defensive depth is still fine.

Mueller leaving though is exactly why you sign a lot of depth players in the offseason - because there's always a chance you'll lose a couple of them. Luckily Lindstrom is staying and we have a couple other call-up options in Chicago.

Jaskin may be mad about not making the team, BUT the good news for him is he will be the first guy called up if someone is struggling or gets injured.

I'm ready for the season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad