Who makes the cut? (23 man roster)

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Very true. You'd have to think Army and Hitch are discussing keeping him on the 4th line.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the first call after an injury. Jaskin, mueller, Fraser?

Depends upon whether Mueller can find the rest of his game. If he does (and the Blues should know pretty quickly since he should start destroying AHL competition if/when he does) then he's obviously the first call-up.
If it's a very temporary thing it might be Jaskin instead since he could be sent back down again without inviting any claims.

The only way Fraser comes up is if the Ott is injured.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
Is it wrong of me to think picking Budaj off waivers wouldn't be a bad deal? Depth in case Allen/Elliott gets injured or if Allen doesn't work out at all

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Is it wrong of me to think picking Budaj off waivers wouldn't be a bad deal? Depth in case Allen/Elliott gets injured or if Allen doesn't work out at all

Yep. He'd have to be on the main roster, otherwise, he'd just go back on waivers, and if he got to Chicago, he'd take starts away from Binnington. If Elliott or Allen gets hurt, then we can sign one of the free agent veterans to be a backup.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

We would have to keep him on the NHL roster or he would go back on waivers, so no

STEVIE RAY BLUES

Jul 5, 2009
On the Club at forward
Backes Lehtera Stasny Reaves
Steen Tank Lindstrom
Oshie Schwartz Bergland

On Defense
Bow Shatty
Petro Gunner
Cole Jax

In Net
Elliot
Allen

That totals 18 with 5 spots left
D-Bubble

Leo Lindbolm

Forward Bubble
Fabbri Jaskin MPS
Porter Ott Lapierre

I would Keep Lindbolm on D and Fabbri, Jaskin, Ott, Lapierre at forward. That way if the team we are playing that night is a heavier team we play Ott and Lappy and a lighter more skilled team has to deal with the kids.

Trade MPS for a pick and send porter through waivers to Chicago. I'm not a big fan of Leo.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Ott and Lapierre are not on any kind of a bubble. The are locks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't think it will be very hard to pickup a goalie midseason if we need one.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Rosters need to be finalized by 4pm tomorrow, correct? Assuming that's correct, if Porter wasn't going to make the team, he would've been placed on waivers today. Same for Paajarvi. That tells me that baring a trade, Porter and Paajarvi will get the last 2 forward spots.

If they put Gunnarsson on IR then that opens up another roster spot but it sounds like they're targeting Gunnar to be ready by game #3 of the season so whoever they keep likely wont stay on the team long. My guess is that they keep Butler around for a week to serve as the 7th d-man but then is sent to the AHL once Gunnar is ready to play.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Rosters need to be finalized by 4pm tomorrow, correct? Assuming that's correct, if Porter wasn't going to make the team, he would've been placed on waivers today. Same for Paajarvi. That tells me that baring a trade, Porter and Paajarvi will get the last 2 forward spots.

If they put Gunnarsson on IR then that opens up another roster spot but it sounds like they're targeting Gunnar to be ready by game #3 of the season so whoever they keep likely wont stay on the team long. My guess is that they keep Butler around for a week to serve as the 7th d-man but then is sent to the AHL once Gunnar is ready to play.

I think you're right. Jaskin to AHL, Fabbri to juniors and Lindbohm to Europe. Butler is the 8th man. Hitchcock was quoted as saying Gunnarson starts the year on IR. Can they date that from prior to the season? (Doesn't it need to be 2 weeks minimum?) He also said that Sunday was the first day Gunnarson skated with the team without restrictions.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
Even if Lindbohm is better than Butler, waiting for a year makes sense from not burning a contract year with him sitting in the press box for most of it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think you're right. Jaskin to AHL, Fabbri to juniors and Lindbohm to Europe. Butler is the 8th man. Hitchcock was quoted as saying Gunnarson starts the year on IR. Can they date that from prior to the season? (Doesn't it need to be 2 weeks minimum?) He also said that Sunday was the first day Gunnarson skated with the team without restrictions.

The minimum for IR is 1 week, not 2. And with the 3rd game of the season a week after the season starts, I see no problem with them putting Gunnar on IR to start the season and him still being eligible to play the 3rd game of the season.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He hasn't been assigned to Chicago yet though. He's still technically with the Blues.

No, but neither was Mueller for a few days. It seems Gunnar is a few weeks away (just wild speculation on what I've heard so far, no real source involved), so it wouldn't make much sense if they Waived butler for no reason. I think we'll see him sent down tomorrow.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I still kinda hope we keep Fabbri for a 9 game tryout. Since he'd get his time spread out, we get to get a good look at Lindstrom in the lineup. It'd also let Jaskin play full-time and him and Mueller can battle for first top 9 injury call up. Also keep Paajarvi as the other forward, and Butler as the 7 until Gunnar gets back.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think if Fabbri had stayed healthy and played as well as he did in his first few games he would've forced the team to give him the 9 game trial. With the injury I think he gets sent back to Guelph. Keep him around as long as possible, learn even more from the players and coaches and let him tear up the OHL again.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Army will announce the team at 1230, according to Korac the Wolves are not expecting Mueller to be sent to them.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Even if Lindbohm is better than Butler, waiting for a year makes sense from not burning a contract year with him sitting in the press box for most of it.

His first year burns no matter where he plays, as he is over 20 already.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Blues cut Fabbri, Jaskin, Lindbohm and Butler. Lindbohm is going to play in Chicago, which is fantastic news in my opinion. Gunnar to IR.

EDIT: Doesn't that mean we'll only have 6 Dmen until Gunnar is healthy?

Petro
JBo
Shatty
Cole
Jax
Leo

Am I forgetting someone?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Blues cut Fabbri, Jaskin, Lindbohm and Butler. Lindbohm is going to play in Chicago, which is fantastic news in my opinion. Gunnar to IR.

That's what I figured was going to happen with the forwards. I'm really happy to see Lindbohm going to Chicago. I wonder if that means they'll try to get him into some games later on this year.

Does this mean we are just going to run with defensemen until Gunnar gets back?

In some ways I'm bummed Fabbri got sent back to Guelph, but in the long run it's better for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad