Who makes the biggest impact in the series?

Who makes the biggest impact in the series?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
part of the reason I entertained selling high on him. But honestly I feel like part of it is Sullivan’s insistence on stapling him to Sid.

I just think that shoulder injury is affecting him being at his best. At his best, he was a guy who'd get the dirty goals. Since the shoulder injury he's played too much of a perimeter game. And no offense to Jake, but he doesn't have the skillset to be dangerous from long distance.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just think that shoulder injury is affecting him being at his best. At his best, he was a guy who'd get the dirty goals. Since the shoulder injury he's played too much of a perimeter game. And no offense to Jake, but he doesn't have the skillset to be dangerous from long distance.
Back to blaming his crappy play on the shoulder again, eh?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s funny people are mad at Matheson. He set up our best chance in OT.

The good and the bad. I can't imagine what he was thinking with that pivot into the forechecker. That's the opposite of puck protection.

That said, he wasn't why we lost.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Back to blaming his crappy play on the shoulder again, eh?

Guentzel was the 5th highest scoring LW this year. If that's crappy, most LWs wish they were so crappy.

But his shoulder has clearly affected how he plays, and grinding/dirty goals aren't there right now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Guentzel was the 5th highest scoring LW this year. If that's crappy, most LWs wish they were so crappy.

But his shoulder has clearly affected how he plays, and grinding/dirty goals aren't there right now.

Again, RS is different from the POs...if he can’t take it to the net and muck it up, then he’s not going to be effective for us

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Marino was atrocious too. I’d sit one of them.

"Atrocious" was being on the ice for 2 scoring chances against, and 8 scoring chances for, yet having 3 goals against. Maybe 1 was his fault, so he deservers to be sat for his goaltender's blunders? He had the highest xGF% of all of our D. We have the "best" educated fans, for sure. Just about all our skaters played well enough to win and the only surprise poor performances came from McCann and Carter going from our 2 best forwards on any given night to our 2 worst. Even they were that bad either at 40-44% xGF%. BART absolutely crushed the Barzal line and held him to just a 26% xGF%, but they still gave up a GA. Why, because Jarry. Sometimes the results don't exactly match the effort on a 1 game basis. PIT played well enough to win and the only area of concern was the third period from a skater POV.

They win that game 8 times out of 10 if played again, but PIT has been having individual players single handily lose a game more often than not. Last night was Jarry's turn. They don't really need to make adjustments other than to Carter's line and dialing back L1's TOI.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
"Atrocious" was being on the ice for 2 scoring chances against, and 8 scoring chances for, yet having 3 goals against. Maybe 1 was his fault, so he deservers to be sat for his goaltender's blunders? He had the highest xGF% of all of our D. We have the "best" educated fans, for sure. Just about all our skaters played well enough to win and the only surprise poor performances came from McCann and Carter going from our 2 best forwards on any given night to our 2 worst. Even they were that bad either at 40-44% xGF%. BART absolutely crushed the Barzal line and held him to just a 26% xGF%, but they still gave up a GA. Why, because Jarry. Sometimes the results don't exactly match the effort on a 1 game basis. PIT played well enough to win and the only area of concern was the third period from a skater POV.

They win that game 8 times out of 10 if played again, but PIT has been having individual players single handily lose a game more often than not. Last night was Jarry's turn. They don't really need to make adjustments other than to Carter's line and dialing back L1's TOI.

Analytics don't mean a whole lot in the playoff. It's about not making mistakes at a crucial times and Marino was a huge reason that goal went in during OT.

I'd argue more so than Jarry.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Marino was definitely the main culprit for the OT goal.

Jarry was the reason we even had to go to OT though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Again, RS is different from the POs...if he can’t take it to the net and muck it up, then he’s not going to be effective for us

He's a P/G so far.

To be at our best, obviously a return to mucking Guentzel would be ideal. But shoulder injuries are always tough and usually take awhile to fully recover from. And even a 90% Guentzel is a huge plus. He's still the smartest winger on the team with the best touch.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's a P/G so far.

To be at our best, obviously a return to mucking Guentzel would be ideal. But shoulder injuries are always tough and usually take awhile to fully recover from. And even a 90% Guentzel is a huge plus. He's still the smartest winger on the team with the best touch.

Rust is the bigger issue on that line. He doesn't seem to do the stuff that complements what the other two on the guys need out of the third wheel.

Which is weird because when Rust plays anywhere else in the lineup, he does seem to do that stuff. But put him with Sid and it's like Rust is constantly struggling to find open space, doesn't really go to the net, and just kind of skates around aimlessly in the offensive zone.

I don't know if it's because he thinks he has to play a different way with Sid, but isn't good at whatever that "way" is, or what. But you rarely see Rust exploiting Sid's passing ability by getting open and putting away the chances Crosby generates. Instead he just kind of skates around and occasionally will have the puck come to him for a random shot on net from further out.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I think he’s been fine. I’ve not criticized him this year.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad