Who makes the biggest impact in the series?

Who makes the biggest impact in the series?

• Total voters

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Vs Isles, Pens only need to play system. Team depth will get it done. The standouts will step up in later rounds. Don't want to tip your hand too early. I could see Kap on the PK as this team goes deeper into this Stanley Cup run. This team even have guys in the minors who could impact these playoffs, if injuries become an issue.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
i vote sully....if he can make changes on the fly...and....put people in the best chance to win. we wont be stopped.

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Trotz and his system. A team of mostly nobodies running roughshod on many opponents is always dangerous. Two scenarios to envision:

1) Trotz's team beats the Pens quickly again, they are riding high all the way to the conference finals most probably. If this exact Pens team goes out quickly once again to the Isles, stick a fork in them, they will be done for the foreseeable future no matter which megastar is now injured/playing hurt/rusty/etc. excuses.

2) Pens play exactly like in the regular season and finish this series quickly. Only real redemption route for them at this point.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Torts and his system. A team of mostly nobodies running roughshod on many opponents is always dangerous. Two scenarios to envision:

1) Tort's team beats the Pens quickly again, they are riding high all the way to the conference finals most probably. If this exact Pens team goes out quickly once again to the Isles, stick a fork in them, they will be done forever no matter which megastar is now injured/playing hurt/rusty/etc. excuses.

2) Pens play exactly like in the regular season and finish this series quickly. Only real redemption route for them at this point.

Something is wrong about this post. Torts Torts, something.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If this question was "which player's going to be most important", I'd agree. I interpretated as "who's most likely to put in a big performance". It would be nice if both aligned...
Definitely interpreted it as the first.

If we're talking about who we think is going to have a big showing, Kap all day. His speed and aggressiveness should be great, assuming we can get him the puck regularly. Less worried about the blueline being able to handle the forecheck and more worried about Geno skating around with one leg dragging behind him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Something is wrong about this post. Torts Torts, something.

Exactly.

The pressure is on the Islanders, not Sully. The Pens broke their system this year. Were built to break their system. The Islanders had eight games to make adjustments and never did. I doubt that they can with their players and build.

What can they do? Trap more? They can't suddenly become a fast four line skating and skill team to keep up.

It ain't Sully who will need to make adjustments. The ball is firmly in the Islanders' court to show that they can.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Exactly.

The pressure is on the Islanders, not Sully. The Pens broke their system this year. Were built to break their system. The Islanders had eight games to make adjustments and never did. I doubt that they can with their players and build.

What can they do? Trap more? They can't suddenly become a fast four line skating and skill team to keep up.

It ain't Sully who will need to make adjustments. The ball is firmly in the Islanders' court to show that they can.
I think TR meant "Torts" as opposed to "Trotz".

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

On a completely unrelated note (not), there are those on the main board who seem to think the Pens-Islanders series is destined to be right up there in physicality with the supposed all-out war that's coming up between the Bruins & Capitals. With Mutually Assured Destruction a distinct possibility because both teams employ numerous skilled cheap shot artists, the Caps & B's will probably both p***y out and "just play" hockey for the most part, at least until one team really has its back against the wall.

In our series, OTOH....

Trotz may not find the correct adjustments immediately, but anyone who thinks he isn't smart enough to do so is a fool. I don't expect this series to be along the lines of the Pens-Flyers debacle from 2012 or thereabouts, but any team facing the Penguins in any playoff series is going to make one "adjustment" right off the bat -- play as dirty as the refs will allow. And they will allow a LOT, just like always.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think a lot of players can play a big role and some will and some won't.

I think Kapanen has it in him to have a monster breakout playoffs though. He will be the difference maker on that line. I only hope Malkin keeps things even with the other L2.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
In 2017 Sid and Geno carried the team by playing hungry to cement their legacy. The past three years the team has looked more complacent. Especially Jake and Rust.

I hope the guys without cups come hungry. This team needs hunger and to play with speed and aggression to beat the Ilse.

Matheson, Ceci and Kap have a little edge to there games. I really hope that shows you extra come playoffs,

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I mean I wouldn't want to play on Malkin's line this year. Maybe favorite player is brining Zucker down. This messageboard's dirty little secret is how bad Malkin has been going back to last playoff. Especially 5 on 5.
Geno was looking pretty good in March, prior to injury.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
  1. Goaltending
  2. Sully - what lineup does he use?
  3. Malkin
These are my biggest question marks ranked in order of impact to goals/game. If they show up and perform as they've demonstrated previously, then they certainly are + difference makers. When your concerns/questions become positives, that is a huge swing in results.

Who posted this in the crystal ball?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Matheson and Sully were neck and neck as to who will cost us the series this year.

More to come.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s funny people are mad at Matheson. He set up our best chance in OT.
He also almost cost us the game. We have to beat the Isles 4 out of the next 6 games now; we can’t afford a gaffe.in these tight ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad