Who makes the biggest impact in the series?

Who makes the biggest impact in the series?

• Total voters

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
With the playoffs around the corner, the penguins look different than these past two years thanks to some new players.. Of the four acquisitions, who makes the biggest impact on this team in the playoffs?

Kap - Does his speed breakdown the isles?
Carter - Will his experience impact the room and scoring depth continue?
Matheson - Will he provide the offensive boost from the back end?
Ceci - Will he stay steady and provide the shutdown needed for the second paring?

Bonus: Goat - will he continue to ascend to new heights and glory taking the reins from Crosby. :sarcasm:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I went with Matheson...having a second pair who can move the puck through the slog of the Isles NZ trap will be important...I’d vote for Ceci equally but I can’t lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Of those listed, Matheson. If he's good, that brings an element we haven't had in several years. If he's bad, that's gonna be a mess.

But I think the choices that'd be most correct, imo, would be Sullivan and the top-6. If either of those two factors come up short, we're in deep shit.

Reactions: Andy99

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I will be interested to see how our d handles the Islanders cycle game. Honestly, this defense reminds me of 2016, so much better than the sum of its parts and with Letang playing as good as then. I wanted the guy traded but he has been playing the best hockey of his career (2016 close second).

If Letang plays the way he played in the playoffs in 2016 (where he should have had the conn smyth), this team will be an extremely hard out.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
  1. Goaltending
  2. Sully - what lineup does he use?
  3. Malkin

These are my biggest question marks ranked in order of impact to goals/game. If they show up and perform as they've demonstrated previously, then they certainly are + difference makers. When your concerns/questions become positives, that is a huge swing in results.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I went with Matheson...having a second pair who can move the puck through the slog of the Isles NZ trap will be important...I’d vote for Ceci equally but I can’t lol

Agreed Matheson's speed and offense can affect the forward line a ton. I think the second pairing of Math and Ceci will cumulatively have the greatest impact on the team compared to last year. It will effect the way sully coaches.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Easy for me. Kapanen.

We lost the last 3 playoffs to the trap. Kap is the #11 ESP/60 producer in the league. He has rocket speed.
He's exactly who you want to break through the stagnation and make a difference.

Plus he's the least dependent Penguin forward on his linemates. He can create high danger chances with little to no help.

If he fails to produce at a good clip this series, it won't be from lack of chances.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I will be interested to see how our d handles the Islanders cycle game. Honestly, this defense reminds me of 2016, so much better than the sum of its parts and with Letang playing as good as then. I wanted the guy traded but he has been playing the best hockey of his career (2016 close second).

If Letang plays the way he played in the playoffs in 2016 (where he should have had the conn smyth), this team will be an extremely hard out.

speaking of....

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hedman will win because it's a popularity contest, but it should be Fox imo. Letang with a close 2nd. Makar's also had an insane season, but he missed a big chunk so that'll hurt him. If he played the whole year, he'd be neck and neck to finish 1st with Fox.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don’t think I’d take any D-man over Letang right now. And I’ve never been his biggest fan.

I feel like he and Matheson will be huge factors this series in how it plays out.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that we have so many potential X-factors.

Voted Matheson cause he’s helped us dismantle Trotz’s system.

Kappy and Carter are. Close second

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Can we get Geno's mother to come to town and cook him his favorite dishes from russia? Or is that like a 2010 thing that hasn't been done in over a decade?

Unless she's a US citizen, no. Covid restrictions and all that.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Carter. Against the Isles, they won’t ask how - just how many. Carter knows how to score goals.

Reactions: orby

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Of the choices, I voted Matheson, for better or worse. I think his skating could really help breakdown the Isles structure, but I could also see him making a few too many oopsies that you can't make against a team as stingy as the Isles.

Can't really argue Carter either. With his speed, skill, and matchups, he could score some big goals.

Really, though, like most series, it will ultimately be decided by goaltending and your best players playing like your best players.

Reactions: Darren McCord

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Matheson is most make or break. If he can show up he’s gonna be a big part of a series win. If he’s bad it could be pretty harmful.

Voted Carter because I think he’s the best player here rn.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don’t think I’d take any D-man over Letang right now. And I’ve never been his biggest fan.

I feel like he and Matheson will be huge factors this series in how it plays out.

I'll second the Letang praise. This is honestly the best year I can remember for him. Just great all-around.

And yeah, I've always been quick to point out his shortcomings too.

Reactions: orby

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Easy for me. Kapanen.

We lost the last 3 playoffs to the trap. Kap is the #11 ESP/60 producer in the league. He has rocket speed.
He's exactly who you want to break through the stagnation and make a difference.

Plus he's the least dependent Penguin forward on his linemates. He can create high danger chances with little to no help.

If he fails to produce at a good clip this series, it won't be from lack of chances.

I'm on the Kap train. He has the speed and skill to manufacture goals against a team like the Isles. The Pens have been missing this.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm gonna go with Carter. He's on a hot streak, his line looks great, and he should feast on whatever 3rd string defensive options.

Kapanen's going on a janky 2nd line with a hobbled Malkin and a misfit Zucker, and Matheson's coming back from injury too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->