Speculation: Who is your odd man out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I went Halak, but if anyone is willing to offer a young C that looks like they'd be a top 6 for a long time, I'm open to trading any of them. If said center isn't NHL ready right now, so be it.

SkyBlue

2/16 * 3
May 27, 2006
Voted Perron, mostly because I think Allen needs another year, otherwise Halak.

I basically agree with other posters that Perron has trade value due to individual talent but not a great fit for the style/system Blues are playing. Also if a center now moving to wing Blues have surplus at wing. Asked the same question last year might have said Stewart but liked what I saw late/post season from Stewart >> Perron.

GrandPapillon*

The more I think about this based on the moves the Blues have made, the more the obvious answer is Berglund. Look at the Blues signings so far. Top line center, Bottom 6 center, depth center. Berglund slots in as the team's 3rd line center behind Backes and Roy now. The Blues have other options there, and given the Roy signing, it seems like the team may move away from the "big center" philosophy a bit. Sobotka could easily manage 3rd line center duty. Sure you would miss Berglund's offensive output in 30 games out of the season where he shows up and scores 20 goals. The other 50 games, you won't even notice Berglund being gone. If there are injuries in the top 6 at center, the Blues have Schwartz and Steen who are certainly capable of doing the job.

Also, there is the matter of contracts. Berglund is on a 1 year deal set to expire at the end of the season when the Blues will have to shell out at least 10m dollars to keep Steen and Bouwmeester. Looking at some of the forward contracts being handed out this offseason, he will probably be looking at a contract worth more than Oshie's or Perron's which IMO isn't worth the investment.

Finally, people say Perron has to go because he can't play for Hitchcock. I seem to recall Bergund being bounced down to the 4th line on more than one occasion last season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Bouwmeester and Steen will cost somewhere in the $9m's, not getting $10m+. Berglund is unlikely to be getting a rise of any real significance.

I like Sobotka as much as any Blues fan, and at some point he probably will be a #3C you can win a Cup with... he is not that now. He can absolutely play that position during the regular season with success, but we need the depth come the post-season.

And yeah, Berglund has spent a combined 2 periods on the 4th line in 125+ games under Hitchcock... that is telling.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Perron also started a game on the 4th-line as well, so the Berglund thing means nothing.

And Stewart did as well in the 2011-2012 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad