Status
Not open for further replies.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I chose Halak

Oshie-no reason to move him, fan favorite and all heart
Perron-I would like to give him one more year, he has a skillset nobody else on the team has
Stewart-I don't think we should give up on him yet, I really believe he took a step in the right direction last year and could continue to improve to the player we need
Berglund-He just signed a prove it contract. Let him prove it
Elliott-He rebounded from one of the worst goaltending performances I have ever seen and played very very well. If we get 2-3 more goals, we win the series against LA who lit us up last year.

Halak-I want nothing more than to see him play like he did in the PO's with Montreal, I just dont see it. He costs too much to pass up and we can get our other deals done by moving him. I am comfortable with Elliott and Allen next year. I think Allen has the tools to be our goalie in the future and I would like him to continue to get NHL exposure with the safety net of a vet in front of him

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Has to be Halak. He's a great player and he's on a reasonable deal, but I don't see much between any of the 3 goalies and we need the cap room his contract would clear. I'm pretty sure that we could sign Allen, Stewart, and Petro if we can move him on.

ZaphodBeeblebrox

Dec 21, 2011
To me the perfect goalie for the Blues doesn't have to be a big name of any sort, just someone who works hard by constantly skating for the best angle on the puck. A blue collar goalie who tracks and takes the angle on a shot even when his team is possession of the puck. Someone who keeps his stick on the ice the whole time as a matter of habit, not just when he sees a shot coming. Basically someone who stays ready and in position and doesn't give up the cheap shots.

Other than that, it would be someone with good lateral movement, so that he can keep his position and with the pass to the shot to react on those rare defensive breakdowns. Finally a good glove side high as he'll be up more than making the save with his leg pads (see keeping the stick on the ice), and someone who prefers to use the paddle rather than the blocker so that he doesn't have to cheat on that side up high at all.

Sorry, I guess that means I'd rather have Halak than Elliott, but I know that Halak is certainly more expensive, so if we're talking about the odd man out for saving dollars it's Halak. Why? Because I think the goalie position is really first and foremost a product of the system since most goalies adapt to their teams, which to me is almost as natural to cheating to your glove or stick side depending on your strengths :)

Perhaps Perron would be my first choice if it were about value, as I think he is one player that could be more valuable in a different system to a different team, thus his value to us as a trade chip.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I voted for Halak, as I'd rather keep the rest of the group in tact, but I just don't know if there is a trade to be made involving him right now. I'd say Perron would be next in line or Stewart if he is asking for way too much and Army can get good value...

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I went with Halak. His cap hit is enough to make sure we're under the "umbrella" with Stewart/AP/Allen, and his play over the three years here has done nothing but underwhelm. It's nice that he had one great play-off run with a completely different team in a completely different Conference. However he's played for 1 and 1/3 play-off games in the three years here. I think Brian Elliott and Jake Allen can handle a regular season until the trade deadline, where we can trade for a top-flight goalie if need be.

Berglund is second on my list if he's not going to play Center. The only thing that has kept him below Perron/Stewart throughout this debate for the last three months is that he plays Center. Other then his above-average shot (Not elite, but above average) and his size, he has no other tools......hence why his position gave him immunity. However if he becomes a Winger he IMMEDIATELY jumps to the top of my GTFO list. I also don't want him to play Wing, b/c that means we're once again looking at Sobotka as our #3C, which I think is a huge mistake. Sobotka should start on the 4th line and move up as necessary to spark a line/send a message to someone else to pick it up.

Edgar

Dec 29, 2009
I said Halak because Elliot is cheaper and we don't need a stellar goalie with the system that we play. I would be afraid of losing Stewart is he didn't decline. Perron, I would be sad if we lost his hands (as much as others want him gone). I have a man crush on Oshie. Berglund fits so nicely in our organization that I would be sad if we lost him. Also, I think Allen will be a stud one day, and also Binnington is a beast in the OHL and plays for my home team, so I'd like room to be made for him to develop in the AHL, which means Allen moving up to share time with Elliot. There are my reasons. The only flaw is that we don't clear room for Cannone to come up, since he is going to be great (you can bank on it). I still stand by my choice. Good night everyone

The only problem with this logic is that we would move a goal

Last edited by a moderator:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I want to keep ALL the forwards. I'd be for trading Halak for a better, more reliable goaltender. But that is not going to happen this offseason. NONE of the other NHL teams is now looking for a #1 goaltender. I'd rather go with Halak/Allen than Elliott/Allen. Elliott is the only player on the team I'd want to leave, whose salary $1.8 million, leaving, could potentially get The Blues under the cap, allowing them to keep all their starting 18 skaters.

So, if Elliott being traded for a draft choice is needed to avoid moving Perron or Stewart, then I'm all for it. The Blues won't need all 3 NHL-level goalies. No one wants to take on Halak's salary. So, IF The Blues can't get under the cap keeping all the forwards, I think Elliott is gone.

If Elliott's salary is subtracted, then Allen's is added to the team total. And you have to figure he signs for around 1M/yr most likely. I'm not sure the extra 800K to 1M is going to be enough to squeak under the cap. Hopefully it is.

(Sorry, hadn't read to the end of the thread to see this has already been stated a couple times.)

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I voted Halak, but besides Oshie, I dont think anyone else one the list would bring us much more than a draft pick or two. Stewart has put up some decent regular season numbers, but is a ghost in the playoffs. Halaks salary would also open up more cap room for signing Petro.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I agree Halak will eventually be moved but I just don't see that happening now, I really don't feel that Elliott and Allen are ready to carry the load. Also with all three still in the organization that should create a nice competition, because I don't believe Hitchcock will give anyone of them the job right out of camp. I like that Halak will be playing for his next contract.

If I had a say I would pick Perron, although he's very skilled and has time to mature because he's still young, I believe he could be a problem for the team chemistry because of his "me me" attitude and if they are serious about winning now I think he would be the best choice at this time if you have to move one.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I voted Perron although I protest (somewhat).

The Odd man out on this team with this management has to be Perron. But, I put some of that blame on management.

Kelly Chase (and others) have said over the last few years, multiple times that without a doubt Perron is the most skilled player on the Blues.

If that's true, then management hasn't gotten the most out of Perron. I don't fault management 100% but surely they hold some of the blame.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I voted oshie for a few reasons. First off, trade value is probably higher than anyone on that list. Second, He will be 27 this season and is older than the other forwards on that list. Third, he has shown signs of deterioration with his physical play. This season was the second time in his career he has missed significant time due to injury and I think that could continue unless he changes his style of play. In his best season as a pro he scored 54 pts getting top line minutes, so he isnt exactly a goal scorer. Lastly, I believe Perron, Stewart, and Berglund all have a greater potential than Oshie. Don't get me wrong, I love Oshie, but I view him as more expendable than the others.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I have to admit, hearing Halak is busting his ass training in St. Louis this summer kinda makes me think he in fact, isn't going anywhere. They said he is in the best shape of his life. We could see a very pissed off, very determined Jaro this season. So it sounds like its going to be someone else moved.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I have to admit, hearing Halak is busting his ass training in St. Louis this summer kinda makes me think he in fact, isn't going anywhere. They said he is in the best shape of his life. We could see a very pissed off, very determined Jaro this season. So it sounds like its going to be someone else moved.

Thats good and bad. Good, because it shows commitment, but bad, because its apparently commitment to his next contract, not to the team.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010

I thought he had health problems that forced him to be at his personal peak.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I voted oshie for a few reasons. First off, trade value is probably higher than anyone on that list. Second, He will be 27 this season and is older than the other forwards on that list. Third, he has shown signs of deterioration with his physical play. This season was the second time in his career he has missed significant time due to injury and I think that could continue unless he changes his style of play. In his best season as a pro he scored 54 pts getting top line minutes, so he isnt exactly a goal scorer. Lastly, I believe Perron, Stewart, and Berglund all have a greater potential than Oshie. Don't get me wrong, I love Oshie, but I view him as more expendable than the others.

I voted for Oshie also. But my reasoning is slightly different. Unlike both Perron and Stewart, we have a replacement in Jaden Schwartz for Oshie. Jaden plays the same game, with better play making skill (if Backes could only finish). He is just as tenacious on the forecheck and is great at creating turnovers. He and Steen had a ton of chemistry.

My next one would be Perron - and that is because I think Tarasenko could fill in for him eventually if he gets in shape. Getting rid of Stewart - just cant do it because he is the most natural proven scorer on the team. And Hitch says he wants to score more on the rush - Stewart is better on the rush then the other forwards.

As for Halak, I don't trust Elliott as a full time starter. And while the team won with Allen - take a look at his numbers and tell me he is ready to be a full time NHL backup. The big issue is neither Elliot nor Halak has been able to carry the load for a 70 games. Which with Allen is something you need.

As for Halak training like a demon this summer, no one was training last year. And his injury two years ago in the playoffs was due to a teammate taking him out. He had a great year prior to that.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
i picked Elliott, Perry was my 2nd choice...

btw

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10 5h

Doug Armstrong also said that he doesn't feel like he has to trade any of the team's three goalies (Halak, Elliott & Allen). #stlblues

Doug Armstrong again said today he's "comfortable" Alex Pietrangelo & Chris Stewart will be signed to contracts at some point.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
At some point a trade will have to be made as well, that's just a fact. I'm not worried, we just have to wait and see what happens.

Armstrong said on the radio July/August is actually a pretty active time for GM's to be calling around if they didn't get what they wanted in free agency.

So, I get the feeling this will play itself out sooner rather than later. Within the next month we should know.

Last edited:

GrandPapillon*

I agree Halak will eventually be moved but I just don't see that happening now, I really don't feel that Elliott and Allen are ready to carry the load. Also with all three still in the organization that should create a nice competition, because I don't believe Hitchcock will give anyone of them the job right out of camp. I like that Halak will be playing for his next contract.

If I had a say I would pick Perron, although he's very skilled and has time to mature because he's still young, I believe he could be a problem for the team chemistry because of his "me me" attitude and if they are serious about winning now I think he would be the best choice at this time if you have to move one.

What "me me" attitude exactly for Perron? I see a guy that gets legitimately excited when his teammates score and has even actively campaigned to get points taken away from himself and awarded to the player who deserved them (I think Stewart). Seriously, if you are going to criticize Perron, at least have a valid reason

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I picked Perron 1st, I would hate to see him go somewhere else, but he is just not making it happen here. But, if we don't get rid of him by the beginning of the season here is to hoping he makes a turn-a-round...2nd, Boyes, er I mean Stewart, I just get that cold and non-fuzzy feeling all over again. 3rd, Elliot, dude is just one step away from falling on his face. Yeah in "our system" he looks pretty good, but come on now, how many teams did he bounce through before we got him?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I picked Perron 1st, I would hate to see him go somewhere else, but he is just not making it happen here. But, if we don't get rid of him by the beginning of the season here is to hoping he makes a turn-a-round...2nd, Boyes, er I mean Stewart, I just get that cold and non-fuzzy feeling all over again. 3rd, Elliot, dude is just one step away from falling on his face. Yeah in "our system" he looks pretty good, but come on now, how many teams did he bounce through before we got him?

Just two. Sens and Avs swapped goalies(Elliott for Anderson), and then he came here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad