Speculation: Who is your odd man out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I have listed the six usual suspects in the poll. Assume for the sake of argument that one needs to be traded this offseason. Who do you trade, and why?

NOTE: This thread is an attempt to consolidate the discussion from various threads and to get a general reading on the pulse of the fanbase. If it gets personal, you will be removed from the discussion, at minimum.

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013
Besides Stewart being #1, while I love him, my vote would be Perron. I believe he has reached his ceiling. He may be one of those guys top out at 80 points for one season, but will hang around 60 for most of his career.

I think Berglund should stay. I don't think we've seen what he can really do. I don't believe he's been used properly to his strengths. I would love to see what he can do on the wing though with a good center to pass it to him. I still believe he could be 1st line winger material.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm perfectly content to go into next season with Halak and Elliott as the goaltending duo, but I have little faith in an Elliott/Allen tandem. I think Oshie is a perfect winger for what we're trying to do here, so he's a keeper for me. Berglund stays to maintain our newfound center depth (I don't believe the talk about moving him to wing).

That leaves me torn between Perron and Stewart by process of elimination.

I think Perron will be the better value, and I like his spirit/compete level, his puck possession skills, and his ability to create offense for himself. My concerns with him are that he often seems to be on a different page than the rest of the team (making indirect instead of direct plays, etc.), and that he tends to lack discipline.

I like the progress that Stewart made last year as a player in terms of puck management and responsibility within the system, his physical toolbox, his ability to withstand punishment in the middle of the ice, and that he adds an element of danger off the rush for the Blues. My concerns with him are his fluctuating compete level, his relative inability to create scoring chances for himself (relative to his talent level), and that he's still a work in progress when it comes to structured team play and general hockey IQ.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Who do I want out and who do I trade are two different questions. I voted Stewart to trade. Considering his goal scoring number he probably has good value, he kind of seems like the odd man out at this point. If we keep Stewart I would like to see him play LW honestly. It's highly unlikely, but I think it might be a good move. I want Berglund out. I don't think he is good, but I see the benefits of keeping an extra center. I think Perron will go on to light it up somewhere playing with a legit play making center. I've recently came to the conclusion there is nothing wrong with keeping 3 capable goalies and like the idea of it.

if Perron-Roy-Stewart can be a good line, (highly unlikely i know) the potential for the other lines is unbelievable.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I want Halak out.

BUT, if they are planning on moving Berglund to wing, he needs to be dealt. Playing center is literally the only advantage he has on Perron and Stewart. Those two are much better impact players than Berglund.

I have no idea why Oshie is in this poll. He's nothing like the other 5 IMO.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I voted Elliott. Him being traded probably doesn't help whatever cap issue that may arise as the others, but I'd be perfectly fine rolling with Halak/Allen next year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I voted Elliott. Him being traded probably doesn't help whatever cap issue that may arise as the others, but I'd be perfectly fine rolling with Halak/Allen next year.
See, I wouldn't be opposed to shopping Elliott while he has value, but the reason I like Elliott/Allen more than Halak/Allen is I'm pretty comfortable that Elliott/Allen could actually stay healthy and play the full season.

Halak just really worries me that he'd get injured and then we'd be going with Allen/??? which would just be a bad situation even though I love Jake. I think we all know he shouldn't be forced into the starter role yet.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I think the last season wasn't really an indicator since it was very different and strange.

I'd like to see us getting somehow under the cap and give those guys a final chance with a normal summer training, the first full Hitch camp and the total focus on NHL hockey (IMO some guys, especially Perron took the lockout crap to personal).

If they fail, once again, trade em till the deadline. I don't care who it would be in this case.

But I guess Army already knows pretty exactly who the guy out will be if we aren't fitting under the cap.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Halak is the one I would want moved. The last 2 playoffs we didn't have Halak anyways. I really prefer our whole team to Roy though. I would have rather kept the team together for a whole season and training cap.

Maybe I am crazy but I actually would be confident with Allen as our starter this year.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
I'm perfectly content to go into next season with Halak and Elliott as the goaltending duo, but I have little faith in an Elliott/Allen tandem. I think Oshie is a perfect winger for what we're trying to do here, so he's a keeper for me. Berglund stays to maintain our newfound center depth (I don't believe the talk about moving him to wing).

That leaves me torn between Perron and Stewart by process of elimination.

I think Perron will be the better value, and I like his spirit/compete level, his puck possession skills, and his ability to create offense for himself. My concerns with him are that he often seems to be on a different page than the rest of the team (making indirect instead of direct plays, etc.), and that he tends to lack discipline.

I like the progress that Stewart made last year as a player in terms of puck management and responsibility within the system, his physical toolbox, his ability to withstand punishment in the middle of the ice, and that he adds an element of danger off the rush for the Blues. My concerns with him are his fluctuating compete level, his relative inability to create scoring chances for himself (relative to his talent level), and that he's still a work in progress when it comes to structured team play and general hockey IQ.
Agree 100%. Not easy decision, but I chose Perron. There does seem to be a lack of discipline with him, and frankly I see him as being very self-centered. I also think he has good trade value and could eventually be replaced within the system(i.e. Ty Rattie). That said, I wouldn't move him just to move him. It would have to of course be a move that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I wish this was multiple choice. I voted for Perron, but I'd prefer Elliott be gone too. If I had my druthers, we'd roll with Halak/Allen or someone like Miller/Allen.

But I'm beyond frustrated with Perron. I still believe Berglund is going to be a good player in this league and I like what Stewart brings to the table more than Perron.

Perron was the only player on the team I think that I really didn't like. He makes it hard to root for him at times (at least for me).

OCTA8ON*

Halak is the one I would want moved. The last 2 playoffs we didn't have Halak anyways. I really prefer our whole team to Roy though. I would have rather kept the team together for a whole season and training cap.

Maybe I am crazy but I actually would be confident with Allen as our starter this year.

Yeah, and what happened to us during the last 2 playoffs? We cannot get far in the playoffs with Elliott with our current roster. Even LA has Quick that steals them at least 2 games per series. Elliott has played solid this past playoff series but did not steal any games for us. The playoffs before, he completely **** the bed.

This is why I want Halak. He has proven that he can rise to the occasion. We have too few players on our team that have proven that.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Perron has still only played in 3 full seasons, and his best season in terms of point production was in his first full year. I do not believe he has come near his ceiling. Good god, he has become what Stewart was to this team last year, one bad season and everyone wants to trade him.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, and what happened to us during the last 2 playoffs? We cannot get far in the playoffs with Elliott with our current roster. Even LA has Quick that steals them at least 2 games per series. Elliott has played solid this past playoff series but did not steal any games for us. The playoffs before, he completely **** the bed.

This is why I want Halak. He has proven that he can rise to the occasion. We have too few players on our team that have proven that.

Elliott played well this past season in the playoffs. We just did not score. We would have lost this season with anyone in net because we did not score enough.

I also think Allen is the goalie that will end up stealing games for this team. As I said he is the goalie I see the most potential in.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I want to keep ALL the forwards. I'd be for trading Halak for a better, more reliable goaltender. But that is not going to happen this offseason. NONE of the other NHL teams is now looking for a #1 goaltender. I'd rather go with Halak/Allen than Elliott/Allen. Elliott is the only player on the team I'd want to leave, whose salary $1.8 million, leaving, could potentially get The Blues under the cap, allowing them to keep all their starting 18 skaters.

So, if Elliott being traded for a draft choice is needed to avoid moving Perron or Stewart, then I'm all for it. The Blues won't need all 3 NHL-level goalies. No one wants to take on Halak's salary. So, IF The Blues can't get under the cap keeping all the forwards, I think Elliott is gone.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I want to keep ALL the forwards. I'd be for trading Halak for a better, more reliable goaltender. But that is not going to happen this offseason. NONE of the other NHL teams is now looking for a #1 goaltender. I'd rather go with Halak/Allen than Elliott/Allen. Elliott is the only player on the team I'd want to leave, whose salary $1.8 million, leaving, could potentially get The Blues under the cap, allowing them to keep all their starting 18 skaters.

So, if Elliott being traded for a draft choice is needed to avoid moving Perron or Stewart, then I'm all for it. The Blues won't need all 3 NHL-level goalies. No one wants to take on Halak's salary. So, IF The Blues can't get under the cap keeping all the forwards, I think Elliott is gone.

We will probably only pick up somewhere around 1million or less in savings going from Elliott to Allen so Armstrong will have to get Pietrangelo and Stewart on the cheaper than expected side of things for that to work.

I do agree with you about favoring a Halak/Allen combo if we are going to deal one of them but if an injury happens things could get real dicey in goal for us. Not that I am in love with any of our goalies(I've been a Blues fan long enough not to trust one further than I can throw em) but my personal preference would be keeping all three goalies and dealing from the forward position.

I voted Perron in the poll. Not that I don't like him, but because he has good value and could net us a nice return. I'm hoping that return ends up being a center prospect rated around where Schwartz was as a prospect if not a tad bit higher. Sure you are losing some production on the roster now but if you get the right prospect that is a year or two post draft you have a much better handle on their development and less time to wait before they hit the roster.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
To say Elliott didn't steal any games in the playoffs is pretty harsh. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have won either of the first two games. He continues to get flack for a bad 10-15 game stretch. He had a bad MONTH.

To those saying Halak "steps up" in big game situations, but
There is a big problem with that, he isn't healthy when we need him the most.

Elliott isn't best goalie in the league, not by far. But fact is, he is much durable than Halak and his style fits the teams better than Halak. Not to mention he's a hell if a lot cheaper than Jaro.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jaro, I hope he succeeds elsewhere, but he isn't the answer here.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Moving Elliott only saves about $800k in cap space. That works if getting Stewart at $4.25m and Pietrangelo at $6m is realistic. Otherwise someone else needs to move.

Despite the posturing from Armstrong, going into the season with 3 goalies would only work for a month or two. We gain nothing in the long term from having Allen splitting time with Climie in the AHL and Binnington in the ECHL for the season. I don't think there is a doubt Halák was the odd man out, but it looks like Armstrong overplayed his hand and it is now going to be very hard to move him.

The only way Stewart gets moved if he is wanting too much money. Let's remember back to the Av's fans *****ing and moaning about a Chris Stewart that had had 41-53-94 in 113 games in his last season and a half with them. He has basically had 1 good season with us (33-26-59 in 74 games) and 1 disaster (15-15-30 in 79) when he came back with too much muscle. He'll always frustrate, but he's shown a significantly higher offensive upside than any other winger we have and is a luxury we can afford with players like Steen and Oshie.

The only way Oshie gets moved is if we get crazy value. He fits our system perfectly, and Steen is a potential UFA after next season.

Berglund's value lies in his ability to play centre. Even if we are planning on getting a good look at him on LW, his value to play centre doesn't disappear.

That leaves Perron. I'd rather keep him, but (unless Stewart is looking for crazy money) I think there are better arguments for keeping the other forwards ahead of him.

OCTA8ON*

Elliott played well this past season in the playoffs. We just did not score. We would have lost this season with anyone in net because we did not score enough.

I also think Allen is the goalie that will end up stealing games for this team. As I said he is the goalie I see the most potential in.

I also agree that Allen will be a game stealer, but our window is now. We don't have time to wait and discover whether or not Allen will turn into a better goalie than Elliott. Our other players are entering their prime.

Also, if we had Quick or any other elite goaltender, we would have won at least 1 game from games 3-6, assuming the first 2 games were also won by us. The reason why the Cardinals have had such post season success is that one of their pitchers, analogous to goaltender in hockey, is able to steal at least 1 or 2 games per series. We have had no such goaltending performance. LA sure has.

OCTA8ON*

If Crawford can win a cup Brian Elliott can win a cup.

Not true for us. Chicago's team is structured completely differently than we are. Their focus is primarily scoring on the rush with good defensive positioning, and they are damn good at it. Us, on the other hand, focus on defense, and goaltending is a big part of that. We can't count on having superstars like Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp (although overrated) score 3 goals per game. We squeeze out victories. Chicago doesn't have to.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Halak. The thing is, he hasn't actually proved he's a number one goalie. He had one good playoff run for MTL, and then he had a good season playing in the Blues system which shelters the goalies to a large degree. There's no great evidence the you can hand him the reins for 4 years and he will produce. Add in the injuries...The worst part is, there's no reason for another team to pay a #1 goaltender return for him.

Am I psyched about Elliott/Allen for a whole season? Not especially, but other than one stretch last year where the whole team was floundering, Elliott has been practically as good as Halak, for a lot less $$. Neither is the Blues goaltender of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad