Post-Game Talk: Who is worried about 97?

Are you worried about McDavid?

• Total voters

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Manning was alright this game, Russel/Klefbom were not.
Jujar can go back to Bako for the season now, have seen way too much of him not doing anything

Agree. For the hatred Manning gets, he has been okay IMO. Nothing fancy but getting the job done. Man we miss Persson, Nygard, and Larsson. Maybe we can call up this Swede?

tenor.gif

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don't think McDavid is sick or injured or exhausted... something is just off with him and it's been off all season with the exception of a game or two.

Only thing that makes sense is rust from his off-season recovery. Even though he was putting up points, it wasn't in usual McDavid fashion. These past few games though are just bizarre... he's never looked as clumsy on the ice as he has, even when he's had the flu in previous seasons.

Flu going thru? I just had it and lost 10 on the toilet

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Draisaitl - McDavid - Chiasson
Kassian - RNH - Neal
Gagner - Granlund - PRussell
Jurco - Sheahan - Archibald

Next game, please.

And it's about time the start prioritizing a second unit PP, even if it means giving RNH his own unit. They are burning those guys out early on.

I agree with ya on Chiasson. He needs to get scoring. Looks lost out there so it would be good to get him firing

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
On a serious note, Manning has been fine. He could score two, have two assists, and knock someone out in a scrap and there would still be calls to send him back to the PB.

He is not the issue. Im actually starting to like him. He has some fight in his game for sure. I watched him when he played for Philly. He played with an edge I must say

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I stop going to church on sundays, because of Mc. D. :DD

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Been saying since the Chicago game that McDavid is off. Disengaged, a word a previous poster used, is bang on. Who knows why though.

We generated next to nothing.

On a positive, outside of that ugly 5 minute stretch, it is not like we gave up much in our own zone.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They're an easy nut to crack I guess. Who knows. Poor performance, in what should have been a bounce back.

I don't know what to say, but I guess they can be both a team having a dip after a good start and a team that was a fluke heading back to the mean. Whichever suits you.

Edit: This team needs to make a move, Manning for Pysyk, get a veteran depth forward, something to change this up.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Completely irrelevant. Call me when Jack Hughes is Connor McDavid and Nico Hischier is Leon Draisaitl.

We should have the best 2nd line in hockey. One that could give Connor/Leon a break once in a while. We don't because of stupidity and people are dumbfounded at why Connor/Leon are gassed.

It's directly tied back to that trade and it's more and more obvious as more and more time goes on.

Yup, the Hall trade is an unmitigated disaster and set this team back close to a decade.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Been saying since the Chicago game that McDavid is off. Disengaged, a word a previous poster used, is bang on. Who knows why though.

We generated next to nothing.

On a positive, outside of that ugly 5 minute stretch, it is not like we gave up much in our own zone.
I don’t agree. They had around 10 grade A chances by my eye. We had maybe 2-3 at most. If not for Smith that was a blowout.

Oct 15, 2008
Yup, the Hall trade is an unmitigated disaster and set this team back close to a decade.
Total nonsense. He is doing zero for his current team. He didn’t do much for the Oilers either. Never once made the playoffs with Hall on the team.

The Gretzky trade. The Pronger trade. Those are trades that set the team back a decade. They made a huge difference every night.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm not so sure about that. There has been more bad than good this season despite the record, very similar to the start of the Hitchcock era.

Not to give myself too much credit, but I said exactly the same thing before the losing started and was told how much different it is with a full training camp, etc.

IMO, the team looked better for that initial stretch under Hitchcock than they have at any point this season. Layered defense, moving feet, crisp passes, neutral zone rushes... haven't seen any of that this year minus the first two games.

Team looks apathetic, sloppy-lazy-hopeful, and disengaged.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
This team would be perennially last in the league without McDavid. You cannot expect one or two players to basically be responsible for 100% of a team's offense.
It just won't work. We have 5-6 NHL caliber forwards (Sheahan/Chiasson are basically fringe NHLers). Until that changes and some actual depth scoring is added, we have many more long seasons ahead.

Reactions: TB12 and Beerfish

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I don't think that it's coincidence that the team has played a bunch of below average to awful games in a row as soon as Persson went down. Not because Persson is any kind of world beater, but because of the domino effect it has on the rest of the defense.

Russell is a pretty good bottom pair left side D, but a terrible second pair right side D. He literally can't make a breakout pass on that side and Klefbom's game has disintegrated pretty much right when Russell was plugged alongside him. Manning has actually done alright, but he isn't as strong as Russell in the bottom pair left side position and doesn't seem to click with Benning at all.

Went from having two pretty good puck moving pairs when Persson was in, to one pair that can move it and two pairs that are a mess in their own end and punt to the neutral zone as a means to break out. A lot is being made of the poor play of all of the forward group (which is justified), but offense starts with good clean break outs and the Oilers haven't really had that from the Philly game on forward. Hopefully Persson is back tomorrow and some of the issues in their own end can sort themselves out.

If a right shot puck mover goes down at any other point this year they have to either trade for someone or call up Bouchard. Russell on Klefbom' (or Nurse for that matter) right side just doesn't work.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This team would be perennially last in the league without McDavid. You cannot expect one or two players to basically be responsible for 100% of a team's offense.
It just won't work. We have 5-6 NHL caliber forwards (Sheahan/Chiasson are basically fringe NHLers). Until that changes and some actual depth scoring is added, we have many more long seasons ahead.

Forget just forwards, pretty much just 5-6 NHL caliber players and that includes the goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad