Post-Game Talk: Who is worried about 97?

Are you worried about McDavid?

• Total voters

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I actually tend to agree with this. The two of them are put out in almost every situation. Take incredibly long shifts. Play two minutes straight in 3on3, take a 30 second break and are then back out there. Play almost all of the PP, even if they can't generate a thing (they won't come off). It's gotta be pretty disheartening for the other guys in that they're rarely given a chance. I know it's a double-edged sword in that you've gotta produce to get a chance, but subconsciously I think the others end up relying too much on MdDrai to fix everything because that's how they're treated.

Absolutely. it's time we start to think why do almost all players brought in seem to play way worse offensively and just in general as far as confidence and swag. This has been going on for almost a decade. I think it's because this org likes to have different standards, opportunities, longer leash and requirements for the few elite and everyone else seems to get the short end of the stick.

We wonder why this org can't develop any offensive talent other than the 2 or so elite guys. Well it's because some of them arent given a REAL chance/opportunity to get their mojo going. It's basically the mentality of give ALL the good opportunities and ice time to the few elite and let the others figure it out on their own. A part of it is our offensive guns have always been the young guys still focused on developing their own game. Sometimes you can feel the body language of guys like Drai, Connor, Hall in the past etc sag and kinda give up when they are saddled with young guys or other vets that maybe don't have the same elite talent. They don't battle through and try as hard as when they play together. They don't seem to want to help get that other player going... it's more like you can feel that they have more of the attitude of "well dam, i'm stuck with this pigeon". Part of it is because they're young and make no mistake their point totals matters a lot to them and they probably don't like it when they dont have optimal linemates to gain optimal points.

But ya, there needs to be better and smarter nurturing of offensive development and confidence in our other young players and vets that are brought in and the answer may have to be short term loss (con/drai decrease production) for long term gain.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Absolutely. it's time we start to think why do almost all players brought in seem to play way worse offensively and just in general as far as confidence and swag. This has been going on for almost a decade. I think it's because this org likes to have different standards, opportunities, longer leash and requirements for the few elite and everyone else seems to get the short end of the stick.

We wonder why this org can't develop any offensive talent other than the 2 or so elite guys. Well it's because some of them arent given a REAL chance/opportunity to get their mojo going. It's basically the mentality of give ALL the good opportunities and ice time to the few elite and let the others figure it out on their own. A part of it is our offensive guns have always been the young guys still focused on developing their own game. Sometimes you can feel the body language of guys like Drai, Connor, Hall in the past etc sag and kinda give up when they are saddled with young guys or other vets that maybe don't have the same elite talent. They don't battle through and try as hard as when they play together. They don't seem to want to help get that other player going... it's more like you can feel that they have more of the attitude of "well dam, i'm stuck with this pigeon". Part of it is because they're young and make no mistake their point totals matters a lot to them and they probably don't like it when they dont have optimal linemates to gain optimal points.

But ya, there needs to be better and smarter nurturing of offensive development and confidence in our other young players and vets that are brought in and the answer may have to be short term loss (con/drai decrease production) for long term gain.

For once, hk is based.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Boy Stauffer and Staples making very valid points regarding refs now regressing to mean of not calling anything on McDavid's opponents.

Back to being horsesh*t I guess. Look at the play last night with Dumba waterskiing off him and no call... McDavid needs to learn to lead, and part of that is sticking up for yourself.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Not worried, but spreading out the offense over two lines might be worth doing in games where we have nothing going.
Even just for a few shifts, for example:
Winger McDavid Kassian
Neal Nuge Drai
The winger on McD's line could be whoever is playing well, Chaisson or Jurco come to mind.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Boy Stauffer and Staples making very valid points regarding refs now regressing to mean of not calling anything on McDavid's opponents.

Back to being horsesh*t I guess. Look at the play last night with Dumba waterskiing off him and no call... McDavid needs to learn to lead, and part of that is sticking up for yourself.

Good teams get respect, great teams get favorable calls, Oilers are neither.

It sucks but it is what it is, the league won't do us any favors until we start actually dominating and making a team with Mcdavid watchable where the ratings will indicate a positive net return because most times nobody wants to watch a loser team no matter how good a star player is. Its a business and bottom feeders don't get calls.

So while the refs do suck, the team has to take responsibility for what they can control.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
for the next game i suggest Nuge Drai Kassian, PRussel McDavid Neal, Jurco Sheahan Gagner, and just pressbox four forwards. Throw in Persson and Lagesson as extra forwards.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
If Khaira is still in the lineup tomorrow night then I don’t like our chances of winning .

We need to add someone that will give this lineup a boost . Like Gagner.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
for the next game i suggest Nuge Drai Kassian, PRussel McDavid Neal, Jurco Sheahan Gagner, and just pressbox four forwards. Throw in Persson and Lagesson as extra forwards.
Gross Russel belongs nowhere near the top 6 and Kassian should be bounced down, too.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm sure we'll all shocked that the 27+ minutes a night for McDrai turns out to be not sustainable.

I know I thought they could maintain that pace for 82 games because hockey is such an easy sport.

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
Hey we still 7-2-1. Its not a panic situation yet. Mcdavid doesnt look good but he still over 1 point a game. Same with Leon. Goaless streak on road is better than home. And if McDavid is hurt then give some rest. Team success more than player success.

Sorry about my English...I was a poor student haha

Reactions: Dashh

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
I'm always loyal to my team. Even though we were so bad for so long I still love my oilers. I put my son in hockey, he make the oiler and give his dad some money. Haha.

But oiler my house is too quiet these last two game. I get up 6 am an no goal! Come on drai this isn't stalingrad pick it up! I still love you my man. And Nuge my girlfriend loves you. Dont break her heart so early. Go oilers from Omsk, Russia! And klefbom quit being so obvious on the power play! But you're pretty cool for a Swede

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If Khaira is still in the lineup tomorrow night then I don’t like our chances of winning .

We need to add someone that will give this lineup a boost . Like Gagner.
I didn’t know Khaira was the integral part of who wins or loses. Please read what you just wrote

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
And some people thought the Winnipeg game was bad. What a pathetic effort in this one. Changes need to be made asap.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I didn’t know Khaira was the integral part of who wins or loses. Please read what you just wrote

A winger that provides absolutely nothing offensively and doesn’t really do anything for us is basically an anchor at this point and I would rather see someone with some offensive spark such as Gagner.

Is that clear enough for you ?

Oct 15, 2008
A winger that provides absolutely nothing offensively and doesn’t really do anything for us is basically an anchor at this point and I would rather see someone with some offensive spark such as Gagner.

Is that clear enough for you ?
giphy.gif

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wouldn't be opposed to splitting McDrai for a couple of games. It's a long season, and there's no issue giving different looks at various points.

One nice thing about splitting McDavid and Drai, is you can toss Gagner on the 2nd line RW wing, and not have to worry about size.

RNH-McDavid-Kassian/Chiasson
Gagner-Draisiatl-Neal
Jurco-Sheahan-Kassian/Chiasson
Khaira-Granlund-Russell

Really starting to miss Nygård and Haas... I dislike how there isn't a single above average skater in the bottom 6.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Gross Russel belongs nowhere near the top 6 and Kassian should be bounced down, too.

There is no better. Everybody plays just below avaerage. Styill better than last year, withzero depth But right now, the depth is meh. Granlund. Archibald, Chiasson, Khaira hasnt stepped up, they have been from OK to below average.
If I could, i wiiuld have placed two of the D´s om forward positions, and benched all of them 4, maybe give Archibald a extra chance, because he has played least.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I wouldn't be opposed to splitting McDrai for a couple of games. It's a long season, and there's no issue giving different looks at various points.

One nice thing about splitting McDavid and Drai, is you can toss Gagner on the 2nd line RW wing, and not have to worry about size.

RNH-McDavid-Kassian/Chiasson
Gagner-Draisiatl-Neal
Jurco-Sheahan-Kassian/Chiasson
Khaira-Granlund-Russell

Really starting to miss Nygård and Haas... I dislike how there isn't a single above average skater in the bottom 6.

Says Gagner at 2nd line RW
Puts Gagner at 2nd line LW

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad