Who is Who on the Sabres Board (Introduce Yourself Here!)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Name: swiper

Current Occupation: MD

Sabres Fan Since: 1972

Season Ticket Holder? (Y/N): N

All Time Favorite Sabres: Perreault

Current Favorite Sabres: Jokiharju

Favorite Sabres Moment: 2006-2007 play-off run

Sabres Jerseys You Own: none

Team You Hate Most: Penguins, Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Capitals

Personal (Pick 3) 3

Favorite Musical Artists: Queen, Saga

Favorite Movies: Night Shift
Night Shift is under-rated. Feed the tuna mayonnaise.

Reactions: swiper

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Not sure where to put this, but my good friend and long time active member machpo suddenly passed away the other night. I’m heartbroken. He was too young to go, barely 51. Every year for the past 25 years we would meet up in Buffalo with a couple other buddies and take in a game and just enjoy a fun weekend together. We hung out more than that, but those game weekends were something special and I cherish the memories. See you on the other side brother. May you Rest In Peace.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not sure where to put this, but my good friend and long time active member machpo suddenly passed away the other night. I’m heartbroken. He was too young to go, barely 51. Every year for the past 25 years we would meet up in Buffalo with a couple other buddies and take in a game and just enjoy a fun weekend together. We hung out more than that, but those game weekends were something special and I cherish the memories. See you on the other side brother. May you Rest In Peace.
So sorry. I definitely recognize @machpo. It's one thing to lose posters on here for disillusionment with the Sabres, life's priorities like kids & family etc., and another altogether to lose them through their passing on.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm sick of my username. I don't want to be Diaspora anymore -- I wanna come home.

Anyone that would like to give me guidance? (Please be kind.) :rolleyes:

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I have no doubt that, if left to my own devices, whatever I pick will be exceedingly stupid.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I have no doubt that, if left to my own devices, whatever I pick will be exceedingly stupid.
It is difficult to choose a nickname for you without knowing anything about you. I mean, it doesn't matter to you what this nickname will be about? Just some word or maybe some character from the movie.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
It is difficult to choose a nickname for you without knowing anything about you. I mean, it doesn't matter to you what this nickname will be about? Just some word or maybe some character from the movie.
Fair enough. Grew up in Buffalo a long time ago. My father was an original Sabres season ticket holder, so I got to see live games from time to time when his friends had last minute changes of plans. My heroes growing up were Gilbert Perreault and O.J. Simpson (win some, lose some). One of my two favorite childhood Sabres memories is Jim Schoenfeld knocking Wayne Cashman through the zamboni entrance at the Aud.

Schoenfeld vs. Cashman, 12/13/72

I can talk about the other one another time.

Left Buffalo during the Rust Belt depression era. Moved around. Made some money. Lived a life. Raised some kids.

I somehow lost touch with the Bills. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that football on TV is eleven minutes of action sandwiched between four hours of commercials. Allen is drawing me back in a little, but I'm still at an arm's length.

But I always cared about the Sabres most. It was harder back in the eighties and nineties, but today it's easy to maintain a connection even from a distance (New England).

Now that I'm getting close to winding down my workforce commitments, my wife and I are considering (given her Canadian roots and the rebound going on in the city) a move back to Buffalo. She doesn't like hot weather and I don't like divorce lawyers so we're mostly in agreement. I have a few more years still, but I'm hoping to be a season ticket holder if and when we get there.

I don't take myself seriously. I like ethnic food, punk rock, quirky TV shows, cannabis, the Jetsons, witchy chicks, and lazy dogs. I'm in favor of true love, free love, stank love, puppy love, muskrat love. I'm faithful. I want the Sabres' goal song to be The W.A.N.D by The Flaming Lips (recorded in Batavia, NY, I think). In fact, I'm seeing the future of the franchise being the biggest, weirdest, most joyous party the NHL has ever seen. Bills Mafia on acid with an awesome laugh track.

Jesus Christ. I think I just wrote a dating app profile.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Fair enough. Grew up in Buffalo a long time ago. My father was an original Sabres season ticket holder, so I got to see live games from time to time when his friends had last minute changes of plans. My heroes growing up were Gilbert Perreault and O.J. Simpson (win some, lose some). One of my two favorite childhood Sabres memories is Jim Schoenfeld knocking Wayne Cashman through the zamboni entrance at the Aud.

Schoenfeld vs. Cashman, 12/13/72

I can talk about the other one another time.

Left Buffalo during the Rust Belt depression era. Moved around. Made some money. Lived a life. Raised some kids.

I somehow lost touch with the Bills. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that football on TV is eleven minutes of action sandwiched between four hours of commercials. Allen is drawing me back in a little, but I'm still at an arm's length.

But I always cared about the Sabres most. It was harder back in the eighties and nineties, but today it's easy to maintain a connection even from a distance (New England).

Now that I'm getting close to winding down my workforce commitments, my wife and I are considering (given her Canadian roots and the rebound going on in the city) a move back to Buffalo. She doesn't like hot weather and I don't like divorce lawyers so we're mostly in agreement. I have a few more years still, but I'm hoping to be a season ticket holder if and when we get there.

I don't take myself seriously. I like ethnic food, punk rock, quirky TV shows, cannabis, the Jetsons, witchy chicks, and lazy dogs. I'm in favor of true love, free love, stank love, puppy love, muskrat love. I'm faithful. I want the Sabres' goal song to be The W.A.N.D by The Flaming Lips (recorded in Batavia, NY, I think). In fact, I'm seeing the future of the franchise being the biggest, weirdest, most joyous party the NHL has ever seen. Bills Mafia on acid with an awesome laugh track.

Jesus Christ. I think I just wrote a dating app profile.
This is a very good summary, although obviously we have a huge difference in age, in the experience of rooting for Buffalo and in mentality. :)

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Been here for many years, drifting in and out, but realized this morning that I never did this. Probably a little rude. I don’t want to be rude!

Name: Andrew

Current Occupation: HR Services

Sabres Fan Since: 90's, but if I'm being honest, my real fanship started 05-06

All Time Favorite Sabres: Turgeon, Tallinder, Vanek, Tyler Myers, Briere, Kaleta,

Current Favorite Sabres: Girgensons (of course), Dahlin, Samuelsson, Cozens, Thompson, Skinner

Favorite Sabres Moment: Drury vs Rangers. Magical moment that I will never forget where I was, who I was with, etc.

Sabres Jerseys You Own: oh… Vanek somewhere. Not a big jersey guy, TBH. Although the new jerseys are IMO the best in the league and I’d like to own one at some point.

Team You Hate Most: Rangers, Toronto

Favorite Musical Artists: Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, DM Stith, the Bad Plus, Andrew Bird, Bill Frisell, Wilco

Favorite Movies: Miller’s Crossing, Lebowski, Bladerunner 2049, There Will Be Blood, Dumb and Dumber, Blue Valentine, Eternal Sunshine, Network

Reactions: cybresabre

Herman Hessian

Bleed Green !
Oct 1, 2010
Brighton; UK
ok, so - this is a bit self-indulgent, but please bear with...

it's almost exactly 25 years since Kevin Dineen scored the last goal in Hartford Whalers hockey history before the team was ripped up and flushed down the toilet. I supported them as a kid, in the UK – as hard though it was to keep up to date - made a point of watching them on infrequent trips to the US, and was generally distraught when they disappeared. I still loved the game, but it was unrequited, as my team had gone. So, I watched bits and pieces, here and there (even at The Aud !), joined (and won) fantasy leagues, and kept the interest going; eventually - about a dozen years ago, I tipped up on HFBoards and subscribed to the Sabres forum - another blue collar team, downtrodden, workmanlike, unspectacular, unsuccessful - there was some common ground, some affinity - hey, Buffalo were about as crap as Hartford had been !

So, I’ve watched from afar as the Rochester core was torn down, through numerous rebuilds, tanks, management changes, disasters and mis-steps - hell yeah, I even thought that Ville Leino was a good signing – obviously you've all lived the story at first hand; but all that time, I was still a Whalers fan who kinda liked the Sabres as I had no real choice – it was ok, it did the job, it filled the void.

But having watched through the last few weeks and seen the team grow together, and especially last night’s game, I have to say that of a sudden I’ve never felt so invested and emotionally involved in the game or with a team, since Hartford were kerb stomped. And I realised that RJ’s commentaries went a long way towards keeping me engaged and enthralled in those intervening years - last night was a tear-filled watch. So, that’s it – no longer a hockey fan without a team, but a fully paid-up fan of the Buffalo Sabres – the long-time Whale mask avatar has gone, been replaced – move on…

As long - of course - that you all realise and accept that Pucky will always be better than Sabre Tooth and that green is better than royal blue, I think we’ll get on just fine – go Sabres ! Oh – and I hate Boston more than any of you guys...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
ok, so - this is a bit self-indulgent, but please bear with...

it's almost exactly 25 years since Kevin Dineen scored the last goal in Hartford Whalers hockey history before the team was ripped up and flushed down the toilet. I supported them as a kid, in the UK – as hard though it was to keep up to date - made a point of watching them on infrequent trips to the US, and was generally distraught when they disappeared. I still loved the game, but it was unrequited, as my team had gone. So, I watched bits and pieces, here and there (even at The Aud !), joined (and won) fantasy leagues, and kept the interest going; eventually - about a dozen years ago, I tipped up on HFBoards and subscribed to the Sabres forum - another blue collar team, downtrodden, workmanlike, unspectacular, unsuccessful - there was some common ground, some affinity - hey, Buffalo were about as crap as Hartford had been !

So, I’ve watched from afar as the Rochester core was torn down, through numerous rebuilds, tanks, management changes, disasters and mis-steps - hell yeah, I even thought that Ville Leino was a good signing – obviously you've all lived the story at first hand; but all that time, I was still a Whalers fan who kinda liked the Sabres as I had no real choice – it was ok, it did the job, it filled the void.

But having watched through the last few weeks and seen the team grow together, and especially last night’s game, I have to say that of a sudden I’ve never felt so invested and emotionally involved in the game or with a team, since Hartford were kerb stomped. And I realised that RJ’s commentaries went a long way towards keeping me engaged and enthralled in those intervening years - last night was a tear-filled watch. So, that’s it – no longer a hockey fan without a team, but a fully paid-up fan of the Buffalo Sabres – the long-time Whale mask avatar has gone, been replaced – move on…

As long - of course - that you all realise and accept that Pucky will always be better than Sabre Tooth and that green is better than royal blue, I think we’ll get on just fine – go Sabres ! Oh – and I hate Boston more than any of you guys...
Three comments:
1. I recognize the username, good to hear from you.
2. The Whale is the second-best (BUF) non-original-six (CHI) logo in NHL history, in my opinion.
3. It is possible you and @sabremike were separated at birth. If either of you ever needs a kidney, you might want to exchange contact info...

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Been here for many years, drifting in and out, but realized this morning that I never did this. Probably a little rude. I don’t want to be rude!

Name: Andrew

Current Occupation: HR Services

Sabres Fan Since: 90's, but if I'm being honest, my real fanship started 05-06

All Time Favorite Sabres: Turgeon, Tallinder, Vanek, Tyler Myers, Briere, Kaleta,

Current Favorite Sabres: Girgensons (of course), Dahlin, Samuelsson, Cozens, Thompson, Skinner

Favorite Sabres Moment: Drury vs Rangers. Magical moment that I will never forget where I was, who I was with, etc.

Sabres Jerseys You Own: oh… Vanek somewhere. Not a big jersey guy, TBH. Although the new jerseys are IMO the best in the league and I’d like to own one at some point.

Team You Hate Most: Rangers, Toronto

Favorite Musical Artists: Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, DM Stith, the Bad Plus, Andrew Bird, Bill Frisell, Wilco

Favorite Movies: Miller’s Crossing, Lebowski, Bladerunner 2049, There Will Be Blood, Dumb and Dumber, Blue Valentine, Eternal Sunshine, Network
Nunda ???

I live in Dansville

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Been on this board recently. Lifelong Habs fan from Syracuse, Cournoyer obviously my all time favorite! Have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Sabres, excited to see them on the uptick and always enjoy them beating the Leafs. Better days are coming folks, enjoy!!!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Been on this board recently. Lifelong Habs fan from Syracuse, Cournoyer obviously my all time favorite! Have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Sabres, excited to see them on the uptick and always enjoy them beating the Leafs. Better days are coming folks, enjoy!!!
I still remember the joy he had on his face hoisting and skating his first Cup as captain. He just exploded around the ice (true to his nickname), back when it wasn't a media spectacle with the ice covered in carpet and cords and people in suits and it's a middle-school slow-dance with the Cup now. I know those 1970s Habs teams were stacked, but I'd put #12's four years as captain and four straight Cups (10 Cups total) as an accomplishment up there with both Richards (I only saw Henri play), Beliveau (retired before I followed hockey), and any other player (Hab or not) past/present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad