Who is the worst player to have his # retired by a franchise?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
List of National Hockey League retired numbers - Wikipedia

My opinions:

Worse career than Daneyko: Yvon Labre (Washington). He's the only one I see without an injury or illness involved.

Al Hamilton (Edmonton) had a worse career than Danyeko, but he was a special case representing Edmonton's transition from the WHA.

But I see a few on a similar level to Danyeko. What about Bob Nystrom (NYI)? Nystrom seems quite similar to Daneyko to me, albeit at a totally different position.

Was Stan Smyl (Vancouver) any better than Daneyko?

I'm going to get a lot of slack for this, but I don't see Wendel Clarke (Toronto) as having anything over Daneyko, except the one Gilmour-aided regular season.

Was Glen Wesley (Carolina) better than Daneyko? Maybe a little.

Danny Gare (Buffalo) and Vic Hadfield (NYR) were better, but I don't think by a whole lot.

So to answer the question in the OP, I'm going to say Yvon Labre of the terrible 70s Capitals.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Leafs retired Wendel Clark's number!? Yikes.

Right? Like I understand Daneyko - fan favorite who represents the Devils' transition from a Mickey Mouse franchise into a near-dynasty.

Vancouver, Edmonton, and Washington didn't really have any histories when they retired Smyl, Hamilton, and Labre* (Devils didn't have any history before Daneyko either really).

But for a team as storied as Toronto to retire Clark's number is pretty baffling.

*I have to keep looking up Labre's name, because to be honest, this is the first time I heard of him, lol.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Okay, time to Devils-fan out a little bit. First off, to get it out of the way - Daneyko is clearly towards the bottom of players with retired #s. That said, his jersey retirement isn't at all controversial among Devils fans who watched the team through the 1990s (and earlier) because, as I said, he was the man who did everything for the team, through years of Mickey Mouse quality hockey, through the first time the franchise ever made the playoffs, through 3 Cups. Even on his last legs, he provided emotional inspiration for the team in 2003 - when he was announced in the lineup for Game 7 of the finals, he got a standing ovation, and the team seemed to feed off the energy. John MacLean was at least as important to the team as Daneyko through Mickey Mouse, the first playoffs, and the first Cup, but then he left. Daneyko was all that remained of the core of the miracle team of 1988 to last through the 2nd Cup in 2000... and he was still there in 2003.

Another way to put it...

From the 1995 finals (and sometimes before then) until Daneyko's legs starting figuratively falling off late in 2003, this was the core of the best defensive team of its era:

Scott Stevens - X
Ken Daneyko - Scott Niedermayer

Martin Brodeur

(X was Shawn Chambers, then Tommy Albelin, then a string of rookies until finally rookie Brian Rafalski stuck).

Obviously Daneyko was least important of the 4 regulars from 1995-2003, but as said, his jersey retirement is about the continuity from 1988 (and even before) through 2003.

Okay, end fanboy rant.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Shocked by the fact that Wendel Clark's number is retired. WTF?

Also a little surprised Gilmour's number was retired by them as well, even though he was fantastic there for a couple of years it seems like too short of time spent.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Shocked by the fact that Wendel Clark's number is retired. WTF?

Also a little surprised Gilmour's number was retired by them as well, even though he was fantastic there for a couple of years it seems like too short of time spent.
It wasn't at all surprising when the Leafs retired Wendel's number. In fact, it would've been very surprising if his number wasn't retired. Wendel is beloved by Leafs fans, and he's loved (or at least liked) by many non-Leaf fans too.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It wasn't at all surprising when the Leafs retired Wendel's number. In fact, it would've been very surprising if his number wasn't retired. Wendel is beloved by Leafs fans, and he's loved (or at least liked) by many non-Leaf fans too.

Yeah, I know, but he wasn't even remotely a great player and in reality represents a pretty dark period of Leafs history for the most part. Not even close to the other guys retired either.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Surprised that Belfour’s number hasn’t been retired by either Chicago or Dallas. I figured at least Dallas would since he backstopped them to the Cup.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Yeah, I know, but he wasn't even remotely a great player and in reality represents a pretty dark period of Leafs history for the most part. Not even close to the other guys retired either.
I know what you're saying, but in a sense, it does feel right.

As I mentioned, Wendel was very much loved by a lot of fans. I happen to know many people who regard Wendel as their favourite hockey player of all-time. I was thinking about why people liked him so much, and I think a lot of it, of course, is about his combination of toughness and talent, but also that he always looked good on the ice, he looked good when he was fighting (and he was a very good fighter), he looked good when he was hitting, he had a very good and beautiful shot, he had talent, he was nifty. He was kind of stylish in everything he did. And he was fearless.

Wendel missed a lot of time due to his many injuries. He could've put up some points if he hadn't missed so many games. He was a good scorer. He was invited to try out for Team Canada in the '87 Canada Cup.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

As I mentioned, Wendel was very much loved by a lot of fans. I happen to know many people who regard Wendel as their favourite hockey player of all-time. I was thinking about why people liked him so much, and I think a lot of it, of course, is about his combination of toughness and talent, but also that he always looked good on the ice, he looked good when he was fighting (and he was a very good fighter), he looked good when he was hitting, he had a very good and beautiful shot, he had talent, he was nifty. He was kind of stylish in everything he did. And he was fearless.

Wendel missed a lot of time due to his many injuries. He could've put up some points if he hadn't missed so many games. He was a good scorer. He was invited to try out for Team Canada in the '87 Canada Cup.

Yeah...now, what do you think about Gilmour? He was legitimely great, had a couple of great playoff runs, but I just feel like it is too short of a time spent there. He didn't win the cup after all. Had it been a less storied franchise I could've understood it completely. But this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, man.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Yeah...now, what do you think about Gilmour? He was legitimely great, had a couple of great playoff runs, but I just feel like it is too short of a time spent there. He didn't win the cup after all. Had it been a less storied franchise I could've understood it completely. But this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, man.
The Leafs haven't been very successful for a long time, though.

They have retired the numbers of 5 players who've played their entire careers in the last 50 years - Salming, Sittler, Clark, Gilmour, and Sundin.

I think that feels like the right 5 guys from the perspective of Leaf fans, considering both quality of player and popularity with fans. Lanny McDonald was also popular, but only played 6 1/2 seasons. The young guys, Matthews and Marner, will get their opportunity. But I think these are probably the 5 guys (from the past 50 years) that most Leaf fans would choose.

I'm not a Leaf fan, so perhaps some Leaf fans can give their opinion as well.

Last edited:

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is a great post. He is an icon for the TML. At that time, fighting was a much bigger part of the game and Wenedel’s a prototype for the power forward.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
You guys are being way too hard on Ken Daneyko. The Devils were barely around for 20 years when he retired. He was there basically the entire time. When you're a newer franchise and have a guy play over 1,000 games, there's a good chance that player will have his number retired. Same with Glen Wesley.

I'd much rather see those kind of retirements than see Ray Bourque get his number retired by a team he played several seasons for.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

I never thought of Wendel Clark as a handsome man. If anything, he always reminded me of Mike Keenan. Interesting take.

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
Okay, time to Devils-fan out a little bit. First off, to get it out of the way - Daneyko is clearly towards the bottom of players with retired #s. That said, his jersey retirement isn't at all controversial among Devils fans who watched the team through the 1990s (and earlier) because, as I said, he was the man who did everything for the team, through years of Mickey Mouse quality hockey, through the first time the franchise ever made the playoffs, through 3 Cups. Even on his last legs, he provided emotional inspiration for the team in 2003 - when he was announced in the lineup for Game 7 of the finals, he got a standing ovation, and the team seemed to feed off the energy. John MacLean was at least as important to the team as Daneyko through Mickey Mouse, the first playoffs, and the first Cup, but then he left. Daneyko was all that remained of the core of the miracle team of 1988 to last through the 2nd Cup in 2000... and he was still there in 2003.

Another way to put it...

From the 1995 finals (and sometimes before then) until Daneyko's legs starting figuratively falling off late in 2003, this was the core of the best defensive team of its era:

Scott Stevens - X
Ken Daneyko - Scott Niedermayer

Martin Brodeur

(X was Shawn Chambers, then Tommy Albelin, then a string of rookies until finally rookie Brian Rafalski stuck).

Obviously Daneyko was least important of the 4 regulars from 1995-2003, but as said, his jersey retirement is about the continuity from 1988 (and even before) through 2003.

Okay, end fanboy rant.
That's really not a fanboy assessment IMO. I'm an old Avs fan (10 and played when they moved to Denver) and Daneyko ALWAYS stuck out to me, and not in a good way as an Avs fan lol. I've followed hockey off and on for about 25 years and I'm having a hard time thinking of many players who played quite like him. He wasn't the best at anything, but that dude would take a G****** bullet to keep the puck out of his net. I know the whole heart and sole for an organization is overused, but I think NJD, I think Marty, Scott and Daneyko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad