Who is the worst player to have his # retired by a franchise?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Al Hamilton (Edmonton) had a worse career than Danyeko, but he was a special case representing Edmonton's transition from the WHA.

Probably also by virtue of him being an original Alberta Oiler from their inception in 72-73, I believe the only one to remain with the team through to their NHL debut.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
I'm not arguing that Clark deserved (or didn't) to have his number retired. I'm just saying, he did a little more than have one good season!

(Btw, he was pacing for 41 goals as a rookie, on a terrible team, in 1985-86. Had he hit that total, he'd have been very, very close to beating Gary Suter for the Calder.)

While I'm usually all for fighting and rough stuff, Wendel Clark was one of those players who fought way too much. Especially when he was younger.

With the elite wrist shot Clark had, it was just plain stupid to fight 32 times(!) in 1986-87. No wonder he got his hands messed up for the rest of his career. Had Clark been more disciplined and jumped less to unnecessary fights, he would have been probably a 50 goal scorer more than once. (idk how many non-hand related injuries he had, though)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->