Who is the slowest player ?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There is no way Desharnais is in the lower tier. I think that it is tough for us to discriminate a “top tier player” with another “top tier player” but when we compare a “lower tier player” with a “top tier player”, we can reach an acceptable picture.

For instance, among mid tier players (in terms of speed), I do think that Desharnais is not slower than Eller and Galchenyuk but I won’t fight tooth and nail if you rank Galchenyuk ahead of Desharnais. However, ranking Desharnais in the lower tier, like you did, is plain wrong imo.

EDIT:

I think Markov does look slower this year but it's mainly observable when he needs to make a pivot.

Maybe you misunderstood my post? Of the 7 players in the poll, I have Desharnais as the least slowest of the bunch.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Desharnais is not a slow skater. Heck... in fact, guys like Eller and Galchenyuk are not faster than him.

EDIT2:

I voted White but Markov sure isn't a speedster. He never was one to be honest. I think he does look slower this year but it's mainly observable when he needs to make a pivot. What's the English word for "pivot"?

EDIT1:

@ginu

You really think that, among the 6 choices, Desharnais is the slowest?!

Yeah, um I don't think DD is faster than Galchenyuk, especially in a game situation.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Markov is the slowest but by no means is it a detriment to his game, he is also probably the smartest guy out there. It would be a definte asset if he was faster but it does not affect his ability to be a good d man.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Moen is not slow at all, he's just passive on his forecheck which looks like he his slow.

Armstrong or Markov are.

And I would say this is a good thing because theyre not super slow.

Tom Pyatt was blazing. Must be the fastest in game player I've seen.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
I'm thinking in terms of top speed, not first step. Moen's actually very fast once he gets going. I voted Desharnais, but Markov's probably a fair choice too. If you're talking first step quickness, that's a different story. Desharnais is decently quick, but when was the last time you saw him pull away from someone in open ice?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Markov seems like he has lost a step. Seen him beaten a couple of times when other years that wouldn't have been the case. He's nearing 35, to be expected

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
How the hell is Armstrong very firmly in second? Guy is a quick skater.

The thing about all these players is that they have different kinds of speeds. "Slowest player" encompasses so much. DD is not roadrunner, but he has moments where he bursts through a seam. Emelin can also get to a puck to keep it in where you would otherwise think he wouldn't be able to (maybe he conserves energy in his stride while in the D zone). Markov...well, I guess I understand that. Weird since he's previously been a very agile skater (still is, but lacks the legs late in the game). He's still probably the quickest with his stick.

Again, what am I missing about Armstrong? He skates the puck pretty quickly out and faster without it. Not that he's been doing more than what White does, but he's still quick. Moen is actually pretty sneaky. He can be quite fast when he needs to be. Wouldn't want him chasing someone on a breakaway, but like DD, he can very quickly accelerate to the right pocket. How is there no Plekanec, Gio or Subban on this? So biased! Actually, this kind of does deserve a Kaberle. He is still on the team.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
An important point is being missed: What good goes it do to get to a certain point in a straight line in the fewest seconds if the brain governing the legs is slow? A player with good vision of the entire ice and an understanding of the game has a great asset. A player who recognizes a second too late where he should be going or where the pass is most likely to go or what player to cover when there's a turnover or what the breakout pattern will be is a fringe player no matter how fast he skates.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
An important point is being missed: What good goes it do to get to a certain point in a straight line in the fewest seconds if the brain governing the legs is slow? A player with good vision of the entire ice and an understanding of the game has a great asset. A player who recognizes a second too late where he should be going or where the pass is most likely to go or what player to cover when there's a turnover or what the breakout pattern will be is a fringe player no matter how fast he skates.

I read your post and a name came to mind: Russ Courtnall. The guy was lightning fast but he often was... ahead of the puck/play... way ahead!

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I read your post and a name came to mind: Russ Courtnall. The guy was lightning fast but he often was... ahead of the puck/play... way ahead!

0401103.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Markov is the slowest but by no means is it a detriment to his game, he is also probably the smartest guy out there. It would be a definte asset if he was faster but it does not affect his ability to be a good d man.

How can you say that it is not a detriment to his game when he has been beaten badly multiple times this season by faster forwards.

He is still a good d-man but he can be a liability at times due to his poor mobility.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
How can you say that it is not a detriment to his game when he has been beaten badly multiple times this season by faster forwards.

He is still a good d-man but he can be a liability at times due to his poor mobility.

In all honesty if Habs could get the big return on Markov....given his name and he is signed another year we probably can....I would trade him. Deal our 2nd pick for a PP d-man to replace Markov. Somebody like Streit, we only gave up a 2nd for Wisniewski.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
How the hell is Armstrong very firmly in second? Guy is a quick skater.

You're kidding right? Armdog is slower than molasses and skates like he's going through quicksand with snowshoes on. That's always been the knock on him and he's slower than ever now after the beating his body has taken over the years. That's why he's gone from perennial 20+ goal guy to a 4th liner. He's effective at his role though and he's a team first character guy. I'd however like to see him throw one of the predator types of body checks he used to throw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad