Who is the slowest player ?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Ah! Thanks for clarifying. Again, agreed that DD doesn't really belong on this list. He finished 2nd in the skating comp last year.

Desharnais has mediocre top speed, especially compared to others on this team, but he has pretty good acceleration and is faster than most when it comes to things like skating around the corner. Desharnais is far from slow, he's just slower than you'd expect from a player of his size, but his overall speed is just behind the team's elite skaters.

When it comes to dump and chase footraces, Desharnais would be far from the first choice, but he's relatively agile overall.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
There seems to be a contradiction in this paragraph. Generally, if you've caused a 2-on-1 at your blueline because of a turnover, it's because you made a poor defensive play - not because you lost a footrace. The footrace typically occurs after you've turned the puck over and are trying to recover. And Markov, I would say, doesn't make a large amount of turnovers or bad plays at the blueline. However, they are certainly amplified when he does because he can't get back as quickly as someone like Subban or Diaz might be able to.

turnovers will happen on the point. sometimes its bad ice, other times its player error, etc... his issue is that unless its the opposing teams goon it will result in an odd man rush.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Markov is pretty damn slow though, I wouldn't say it's "not close" considering some of the grinders but he's the slowest of our defenders easily.

It's not as clear cut as it was with Gill last year at least. :laugh:

if reach counts and is allowed to make up for speed than gill and markov would be kneck and kneck lol

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Fail for listing DD who's clocked very fast in intersquad comp... Probably Markov because of his knee? Armstrong? White?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The only three names that should be on this poll are Armstrong, White and Markov. The inclusion of Desharnais and Moen is downright laughable.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Markov is not our slowest player :laugh: he's not the fastest but he's definitely faster than a few of them.. Definitely Moen in my opinion

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Probably Armstrong or Markov.

Desharnias, while probably not a candidate for this list, definitely isn't what I'd call a "quick" player either. His first step, and acceleration need work, and at times he can actually look fairly slow out there. But when he gets going he's usually fine.

I think people would be fooling themselves though, if they didn't wish Desharnais was quicker on his skates.

As for this specific list, this is how I'd rank them from slowest to fastest:

1. Colby Armstrong
2. Andrei Markov
3. Ryan White
4. Travis Moen
5. Francis Bouillon
6. Alexei Emelin
7. David Desharnais

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fail for listing DD who's clocked very fast in intersquad comp... Probably Markov because of his knee? Armstrong?

While I completely agree that Desharnais doesn't belong in this poll it should be pointed out that those lap times are not at all a true indication of a players speed. These races are won in the turn behind the net and is as much a reflection of line choice and bravery/stupidity when the player decides how far they will push this potentially dangerous turn. Most of the elite players in the NHL don't care enough to take the risk necessary to post a fast time.

If you want a true measure of speed then you go from hash marks to hash marks, d-zone to o-zone.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Markov can at least move well laterally. Emelin is slow as hell.

White's pretty fast, and Moen and Armstrong get breakaways in which they are not caught by a backchecker often enough to not be considered the slowest on the team.

Bouillon and DD skate pretty well.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004

1. Colby Armstrong
2. Andrei Markov
3. Ryan White
4. Travis Moen
5. Francis Bouillon
6. Alexei Emelin
7. David Desharnais

I somehow agree to this list. I'd go:
1. Armstrong / Markov
3.White
4. Emelin
5. Bouillon
6. Desharnais
7. Moen.

Lizard King*

Cole has been looking pretty slow as well probably not the slowest but he's one player I'd want to be not slow.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec

Desharnias, while probably not a candidate for this list, definitely isn't what I'd call a "quick" player either. His first step, and acceleration need work, and at times he can actually look fairly slow out there. But when he gets going he's usually fine.

I think people would be fooling themselves though, if they didn't wish Desharnais was quicker on his skates.

1. Colby Armstrong
2. Andrei Markov
3. Ryan White
4. Travis Moen
5. Francis Bouillon
6. Alexei Emelin
7. David Desharnais

There is no way Desharnais is in the lower tier. I think that it is tough for us to discriminate a “top tier player” with another “top tier player” but when we compare a “lower tier player” with a “top tier player”, we can reach an acceptable picture.

For instance, among mid tier players (in terms of speed), I do think that Desharnais is not slower than Eller and Galchenyuk but I won’t fight tooth and nail if you rank Galchenyuk ahead of Desharnais. However, ranking Desharnais in the lower tier, like you did, is plain wrong imo.

EDIT:

I think Markov does look slower this year but it's mainly observable when he needs to make a pivot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad