Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lol so Tavares might have a permanent home arena by the time he is 30? That’s not a great selling point.
The players are absolutely ectatic to be playing games at the Coliseum. Having some games there is the exact opposite of a negative.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
You don't consider Beauchemin, Hamhuis, Cole to be over the hill when one has already retired and the other two should?
The concept of signing one player to a one year deal out of players I mentioned is hard for you to understand. I get it..

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The players are absolutely ectatic to be playing games at the Coliseum. Having some games there is the exact opposite of a negative.

They’ve been a joke of a franchise for most of his time there. Hockey players are loyal to a fault so I wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed, but there’s about 25 other teams that give him a better chance to win. They are so far away from contending when you look at their defense and goaltending and no matter how you spin it, it’s unlikely a player would view bouncing back and forth from arena to arena as a positive.

Reactions: Rebels57

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Still think the odds are in the Isles favor of him re-signing there. I think worst case scenario is they’ll work out a sign & trade so the other team gets him on an eight year deal & the Isles don’t lose him for nothing.

Has that happened in the NHL in the last 20 years? Like an actual sign and trade where that was the intention. I remember Setoguchi getting moved shortly after a deal but that wasn’t an NBA style sign and trade.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They’ve been a joke of a franchise for most of his time there. Hockey players are loyal to a fault so I wouldn’t be shocked if he stayed, but there’s about 25 other teams that give him a better chance to win. They are so far away from contending when you look at their defense and goaltending and no matter how you spin it, it’s unlikely a player would view bouncing back and forth from arena to arena as a positive.
Their defense was almost entirely due to coaching. Dead Weight essentially implemented a system that instructed guys to do the exact opposite defensively of what every player is taught to do starting in mites. Other players publicly laughed at how ridiculously coached they were. The point of Weight's scheme was to allow as many clean shots on goal as possible. And no, I am not joking. That's why if you saw the Isles this year you would notice nobody closed in on a shooter. Again that was by design. If they had a real coach this past season not only do they make the playoffs, they probably make it comfortably. I really can't overstate just how horrible Weight is as a coach.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Has that happened in the NHL in the last 20 years? Like an actual sign and trade where that was the intention. I remember Setoguchi getting moved shortly after a deal but that wasn’t an NBA style sign and trade.

No but the CBA has obviously changed a lot reducing your chances of seeing players worthy of that term reach UFA as well as a 7-8 year limit (8 to the original team) on the term. The Lightning, Stamkos, & other teams were discussing it though before he ultimately ended up re-signing. LeBrun & McKenzie have said before that New York will be exploring the same thing if a deal can’t get done.

If New York offers $10-12M per year for 8 years Tavares isn’t going to take that big of a discount so you’re gonna have make up most of that one year difference jacking up the AAV/caphit.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Their defense was almost entirely due to coaching. Dead Weight essentially implemented a system that instructed guys to do the exact opposite defensively of what every player is taught to do starting in mites. Other players publicly laughed at how ridiculously coached they were. The point of Weight's scheme was to allow as many clean shots on goal as possible. And no, I am not joking. That's why if you saw the Isles this year you would notice nobody closed in on a shooter. Again that was by design. If they had a real coach this past season not only do they make the playoffs, they probably make it comfortably. I really can't overstate just how horrible Weight is as a coach.

You overstating the quality of that roster. No way do they comfortably make the Playoffs with that roster.

Reactions: duffy9748

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Can Bozak skate ? If I recall, he is a good S O guy as well. Prob would be a darn good 3 rd line center and hope Vorobyev makes it as 4th Line Center.

Raff Vorb NAK could be a good 4th Line. Heavy and good speed

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You overstating the quality of that roster. No way do they comfortably make the Playoffs with that roster.
The roster isn't perfect but their top 2 lines were a murderer's row. If they even just got garden variety bad defense that top 6 carries them into the postseason.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The roster isn't perfect but their top 2 lines were a murderer's row. If they even just got garden variety bad defense that top 6 carries them into the postseason.

Their offensive numbers were so good because they played no defense :laugh:

Reactions: Tripod

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
No but the CBA has obviously changed a lot reducing your chances of seeing players worthy of that term reach UFA as well as a 7-8 year limit (8 to the original team) on the term. The Lightning, Stamkos, & other teams were discussing it though before he ultimately ended up re-signing. LeBrun & McKenzie have said before that New York will be exploring the same thing if a deal can’t get done.

If New York offers $10-12M per year for 8 years Tavares isn’t going to take that big of a discount so you’re gonna have make up most of that one year difference jacking up the AAV/caphit.

I’d like to see where Steve Yzerman leaked that they were discussing that. He had the best poker face possible that entire season in regards to Stamkos. If Tavares leaves, it’s to win. He’s not going to hurt the team he decides to go to.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

I’m just saying that Tavares has been there since 2009 and they’ve won one playoff series. Sure, Lamoriello is miles better than Snow, but it’ll take a pretty incredible pitch to get him to stay. He’s had 10 months to resign.

In regards to the defense, they don’t have any legitimate top pairing defensemen and there aren’t any on the horizon that they can count on. Easier in hindsight, but the move was to trade him at the deadline and build around Barzal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’d like to see where Steve Yzerman leaked that they were discussing that. He had the best poker face possible that entire season in regards to Stamkos. If Tavares leaves, it’s to win. He’s not going to hurt the team he decides to go to.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-sign-and-trade-possible-for-tavares-1.1028621

There’s not a single player in sports that values winning over money to that degree. If New York offers an eight year/$80-96M contract ($10-12M AAV) the other team is gonna have to make at least most of the difference up but do in a seven year term making the AVV higher than those $10-12M AAV figure.

Tavares already took less in his previous contract for the opportunity to cash out on this contact as a 27 year old UFA. His agent Pat Brisson has all his top clients go this route Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, etc.

There’s value to the other team to get him on the eight year contract to make the caphit/AAV more manageable than what it would be if it was seven years.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-sign-and-trade-possible-for-tavares-1.1028621

There’s not a single player in sports that values winning over money to that degree. If New York offers an eight year/$80-96M contract ($10-12M AAV) the other team is gonna have to make at least most of the difference up but do in a seven year term making the AVV higher than those $10-12M AAV figure.

Tavares already took less in his previous contract for the opportunity to cash out on this contact as a 27 year old UFA. His agent Pat Brisson has all his top clients go this route Crosby, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, etc.

There’s value to the other team to get him on the eight year contract to make the caphit/AAV more manageable than what it would be if it was seven years.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

It is kinda a shame that the CBA changed the rules. I always enjoying free agency and seeing big players go elsewhere.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It is kinda a shame that the CBA changed the rules. I always enjoying free agency and seeing big players go elsewhere.

They’ve actually lowered the age restrictions over the years. But with no salary cap, no luxury tax, & little revenue sharing there obviously a lot more player movement via trades because of money back then.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Adding a bottom pairing defensemen at best does nothing for the Flyers. It doesn’t improve the team & it just takes up ice time for younger players.
I agree. if they are going to add to the defense it should be a legit top four guy otherwise I'm not sure I see the point. With that being said, I do like Cole a lot and think he'd be a great third pairing guy to play with a young guy. As long as MacDonald and Gudas are around though there is no room.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Adding a bottom pairing defensemen at best does nothing for the Flyers. It doesn’t improve the team & it just takes up ice time for younger players.
O no? So adding a guy that can elevate our shitty PK from 29th to lets say 15th will do nothing? Yeah ok.
He does not even have to skate, just help us out on PK.. That's By the way Hal Gill was awesome on PK, @OzFlyers. Older Hal Gill is what doctor ordered for this team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad