Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I think there's almost no chance he leaves there, and even less now that Old Lou is handling the negotiations.
Still think he leaves. Lou is an impressive FO guy, a proven winner. The number of miracles it would take to turn the Islanders into a contender are too vast even for Lou though. If JT stays, what can they possibly do to make him a winner? They can play him lots of money, but I think that's it. IF JT wanted to stay, he could've called that shot a long long time ago.

Edit: Thought experiment from the 31 Thoughts podcast- JT signs a max 3-yr deal with a current contender, vastly improves his shot at a ring. Then, goes back for another mega-deal at age 31, a bit more selective for only slightly smaller money (Oshie comparable, but more) to take him to 36/37. I could see him returning to the Island, but think he leaves now.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Still think he leaves. Lou is an impressive FO guy, a proven winner. The number of miracles it would take to turn the Islanders into a contender are too vast even for Lou though. If JT stays, what can they possibly do to make him a winner? They can play him lots of money, but I think that's it.

I'm not saying he should stay - God knows he should get out of there - but I think he will. I just can't see him bailing on them (ironically, since that swimming pool of a rink needs to be bailed) because of all the things he has ever said about the organization, which is a God-awful embarrassment to team sports, not least because they got gifted what should have been our third Cup.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I voted Stastny simply because I don't think Tavares is an actual realistic possibility.

Neither is Statsny at 6 mill for the 3rd line. He would be the perfect 3rd line center tho.

I voted T Myers, something with our pick and then extend him at around 5 mill per

I guess Bozak is most likely tho

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i'd do 6m/3 yrs for Stastny. but I think he'll probably get more than that elsewhere. he would be the perfect 3C.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't think he gets more personally ?
It's a years vs. $ ratio. I think he signs for similar, maybe slightly less money, but for longer term. If folks want him around for three years, I think you're paying more money for him. Regardless of the combination, I think this contract he's going to make somewhere in the $21m-$26m range. He was recently a $7m/yr player, doubt he's coming far down from that number.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
i'd do 6m/3 yrs for Stastny. but I think he'll probably get more than that elsewhere. he would be the perfect 3C.
I would too. Not sure that contract is enough to entice him to come here though. I am more concerned with term than AAV in the Flyers situation. I would be more apt to overpay on the AAV and keep the contract to two or three years.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
While I ultimately would guess he can get it (and/or an extra year) from someone else he prefers more, 3/18 for Stastny really isn't an impossibility. For what it's worth, Matt Cane's model has that solidly in his likely range.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers is ready to go, he's further advanced than Sanheim last fall and is more physical.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Sucks to hear the news about Kane. Oh well. 7 million might look like a lot right now but it won't in a couple of years, hell it might not look that bad in a couple of months. What I don't like about the deal is the seven year term. That's an awful lot of security for a guy who has a bit of a checkered past around the league.

Not all that interested in JVR or Perron so if they are going to add a LW it might have to be via trade (Skinner) or more of a depth guy who won't break the bank like a Grabner or Comeau. As much as I hate the prick and hate to say this I would have some interest in James Neal on a two or three year deal.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Keeping it realistic, Bozak. 3 years at about $4.5m would be comparable to his current contract value. Might be enough as he had a down year and reduced role.
After seeing the type of deal Kane got I am inclined to agree at this point. They will probably be looking at guys like Bozak, Riley Nash, Grabner, Comeau, Calvert etc to improve the 3rd and 4th lines. I think it also makes it more likely that Simmonds is traded this summer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Accounting for salary cap inflation since the deal was struck, Giroux/Voracek would be equivalent to $10M in 2018-19.
Which makes Kane a slight overpay (probably worth $5-6M), the length is the problem given his history.
Also suggests JT is worth $10-11M so $12M would also be a slight overpay.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Almost no chance? He’s been looking at his options since the trade deadline IMO. They don’t even know what building they’ll be a playing in for the next 3 years. This feels a lot closer to Parise than Stamkos.
That is simply not true. This coming season the team will be playing 11 games at the Coliseum and 30 at Barclays. In 2019-20 the team will play 21 games at the Coliseum (and possibly more) and 20 at Barclays. If you believe Lou (who has experience dealing with these things) Belmont will open for 2020-21. I think it is highly likely at this point he stays.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
That is simply not true. This coming season the team will be playing 11 games at the Coliseum and 30 at Barclays. In 2019-20 the team will play 21 games at the Coliseum (and possibly more) and 20 at Barclays. If you believe Lou (who has experience dealing with these things) Belmont will open for 2020-21. I think it is highly likely at this point he stays.

Lol so Tavares might have a permanent home arena by the time he is 30? That’s not a great selling point.

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Still think the odds are in the Isles favor of him re-signing there. I think worst case scenario is they’ll work out a sign & trade so the other team gets him on an eight year deal & the Isles don’t lose him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad