Who is the Next William Karlsson?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Sam Bennett

I think if Peters puts Bennett with Monahan and Gaudreau next year he'd have a real good chance to be a 60+ point man. Not really the same as Karlsson though as even at Bennett's worst he still demolishes Karlsson's pre-Vegas numbers.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Who do you think the next player is to come out of nowhere and put up insane offensive numbers?

My guess is Joel Armia. I've been impressed every time I've seen him. Like Karlsson, he is great defensively, posesses a good shot with an incredible release, and has a ton of skill. He is being pushed down the lineup by guys like Laine, Connor, Ehlers, and Roslovic, but I think he could break out in another team's top 6.

I am confident that Joel can be more consistent, and work on that last bit of finish that he lacks.

Not that confident about his health, though.. He has Enstroms disease. Enstrom-Perreault syndrome. Terminal.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Who do you think the next player is to come out of nowhere and put up insane offensive numbers?

My guess is Joel Armia. I've been impressed every time I've seen him. Like Karlsson, he is great defensively, posesses a good shot with an incredible release, and has a ton of skill. He is being pushed down the lineup by guys like Laine, Connor, Ehlers, and Roslovic, but I think he could break out in another team's top 6.

William Karlsson didn't come from nowhere.
If you followed him, you knew he is a capable scorer.
It's the Cbus poor coaching that buried him on the 4th line from where you don't score much no matter how hard you try, that should be discussed in such threads.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Jakub Vrana for the caps. Always looks like he is about to score, never does (so far!).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The unique thing about Karlsson is the opportunity for a historic 3c/4c to play big first line minutes. This doesn't really happen with other clubs, especially centres, where a relative no-namer can eat up close to twenty minutes per game of first line time. I haven't looked at his PP TOI but I assume it's high.

He went up over 5 minutes per game of average time on ice from last year to this year and went from 3c/4c to 1c. That just doesn't really happen in this league, outside of exceptional circumstances like the expansion draft.
...or the first ten or twelve years of the Columbus Blue Jackets' existence.

Not that that stops our Whine Brigade from constantly bringing him up as the ultimate argument for why anything and everything having to do with our team still sucks or something.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

He'd have to get consistent first line ice time, of course. However, that's a good choice.

To stay with the Jets, I'd say Brandon Tanev (don't laugh, let me explain) on a much smaller level. I think we can see a consistent 15 goal seasons from him, and maybe a Cinderella 20 goal season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Who knows, every year a random players rides a sky high shooting % and then falls back to earth the next year. See Eberle, Kadri and the other numerous examples.

In 5 years this thread will be looked at alot differently when Karlsson gets a massive pay raise and fails to score half of the number of goals he scored this year

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
William Karlsson didn't come from nowhere.
If you followed him, you knew he is a capable scorer.
It's the Cbus poor coaching that buried him on the 4th line from where you don't score much no matter how hard you try, that should be discussed in such threads.
And he didn't even get his start on the Vegas first line. He started on the third line after a really poor preseason. Gallant saw something in him and he tried him with Smith and Marchessault. They had instant chemistry and the rest was history at least for this year.

But to add Karlsson really did improve his game offensively in terms of moving his feet to get to the high quality scoring chances his line was generating. Without hard work on Wild Bill's end he likely wouldn't have had the same numbers. I mean there's a reason he's still been productive in the playoffs and puck luck isn't it. Granted he's been really timid in the Finals and I hope that changes.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I was sure Lindberg would break out for Vegas. Rangers fans were excited about him. We were okay with letting him go in the draft, but some of us thought he might break out and debated it a lot on the boards.

Not much happened, though.

Reactions: SAS and Viqsi

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Not a Preds fan but after watching my team (Wpg) play them, I agreement with whomever said Kevin Fiala. He is on the verge of something big I think.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Well I just said Nail Yakupov might pull it off a few minutes ago so might as well do it again here. Assuming he doesn't bolt to the KHL of course.

I think for Yakupov to have any success he needs to be in a situation similar to Gagner when he was with Columbus. Put him on the 4th line of a deep team and give him 1st unit PP time with a right shot playmaker. Even in the perfect situation I doubt he would hit 30 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad