Who is the Next William Karlsson?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Can’t speak for other teams, but I think of the Stars that Faksa has a good deal of untapped offensive potential. He’s always been buried in the defencive zone with less than idea line mates. Doubt he’s score 40 goals but I could see him being a 55 point second line centre with great defence.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The Jets' depth is going to create a few Karlsson-lite situations. Armia, as mentioned, and perhaps Petan & Dano, since they'll never get a chance to succeed while never getting minutes and being buried in the minors or pressbox. All three could probably benefit from a change of scenery. They weren't really mistreated by the Jets, they just can't compare to Wheeler/Laine/Ehlers/Connor.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
No one.

I don't think people understand just how out of the blue this transformation of William Karlsson is. There were reasons to believe Marchessault might be a star, there were reasons to believe Reilly Smith was much better than he showed last season, there were reasons to believe McNabb and Schultz could step up in bigger roles. It was all a matter of researching. Not with Karlsson. From what I remember, he was even lousy in the preseason for Vegas. And then the season started and the world turned upside down.

It would surprise me if we saw a story like that again.

William Karlsson was SHL rookie of the year. I was less surprised by him than by Marchessault or yanni gourde.

There is a pretty solid pattern of young SHL rookie of the years becoming good NHLers after a few seasons. Watch out for Andreas Johnsson and Andreas Borgman next.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't know who but if there is one, the situation the player emerges from will be similar to Vegas' first year where oodles of ice time is given to a couple dozen players that normally would not get it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Came here to say Armia, although we keep saying that and it hasn't happened yet

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Who do you think the next player is to come out of nowhere and put up insane offensive numbers?

My guess is Joel Armia. I've been impressed every time I've seen him. Like Karlsson, he is great defensively, posesses a good shot with an incredible release, and has a ton of skill. He is being pushed down the lineup by guys like Laine, Connor, Ehlers, and Roslovic, but I think he could break out in another team's top 6.
He's far from great defensively. He's got the tools to do well in another team's top 6, though.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Armia? He had 12 goals this year alone. That's twice as many as Karlsson had last year. Almost as many as Karlsson had in the last 2 years combined. Armia is too good and productive already.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Well I just said Nail Yakupov might pull it off a few minutes ago so might as well do it again here. Assuming he doesn't bolt to the KHL of course.

Yakupov has always strangely produced incredibly well when placed on lines with offensive minded Centres.
I am not joking, and I totally understand that he will never get a shot on Crosby or Malkins line. But the data is sort of there.

Yakupov CAN'T drive the play. This just isn't in his repetoire, and if you expect him to, he will fail dramatically.

When he flanked RNH, and Hall, he lead the Oilers in goals with 17 in the lockout shortend season.
Then a lot of nothing, when he was placed with offensive blackholes like Eric Belanger.

Playing with Derek Roy Yakupov had 21 points in 30 some odd games.

Then he went a PPG with McDavid for the first 12 games of McD career. (and no, no other player went a PPG with McDavid, not Eberle, not Maroon.. so don't say anyone can get that with McD).

He played with scrubs in St.L, and was terrible.

Then he seemed to do well with Duchene and then he was traded.

I know no team would is ever likely give Yakupov a chance to play with a Star Center who is capable of carrying the play, but Yak have proven he can produce there.

** AND NO NOT EVERY PLAYER CAN SO PLZ STOP THAT NONSENSE*

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Karlsson was drafted in 2011 so I looked at the 2013 draft and picked players that will not be protected.

Peter Cehlarik, Andreas Johnsson
and Jonny Brodzinski

This would be easier to do next year as 1 more season is a lot of data.

fwiw i don't think this will happen. Vegas was a one off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad