Who is the next Ranger to get his number retired?

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Walter Tkaczuk as deserving as any past Ranger in the last fifty years. Currently living in St. Mary's Ontario I believe.

14 year lifelong Ranger.
227 G. 451 A. Regular season
19 G. 32A. Playoffs

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's absolutely ridiculous to retire so many classic numbers. From the numbers 1 to 11, 6 numbers are retired. An absolute farce and it has become more of a gimmick than it holding any value.

You almost start applauding the fact that we haven't won that many cups, because if so, there wouldn't be a single number left.
Meh, the Habs have retired 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, and a half-dozen more. I think it’s cool that their players now have to wear weird numbers; It’s become part of their identity.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
The darkest answer to this would be that the next two numbers retired are 30 and then 31. After 31 puts up a dozen great years here without a cup. Sorry for ruining your weekend with that thought.

In reality, someone probably goes up to the rafters before then. Park would probably have the best odds. Staal and Girardi would be dumb but I can see it happening. Wouldn’t mind Greschner. If Kreider plays out the rest of his contract here with a few more deep playoff runs, I can see that too.

Darker still

The last phenom we had wearing #31 looked like the next Pat Roy with his style, flair, and effortless saves, then wound up retiring 2 or 3 years later and has to wear two blockers when he is invited to celebrity games because of a freak injury.

Loved Blackburn. When Ricky was getting those concussions, Blackie made it more bearable with his hope.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How is this a thread? It's going to be Lundqvist as soon as 2021 but probably more realistically 2022-2023.

Frank Boucher should be honored already for having a hand in the first three Cups but unfortunately it's not realistic because he's not contemporary or has no ties to 94 :(

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
I mentioned Bill Cook and Frank Boucher earlier, they should have been the first 2 numbers that the Rangers retired. 50 years ago.

Walt Tkaczuk was mentioned.

Bryan Hextall (Ron’s Grandfather) was a great player for us in the late 30’s and 40’s. He scored the 1940 cup clincher in OT. Frank Boucher also was the coach of that team.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Meh, the Habs have retired 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, and a half-dozen more. I think it’s cool that their players now have to wear weird numbers; It’s become part of their identity.

Agreed. I like the weird numbers.

I think it would be really cool to have some great player skating around with something bizarre like 57 on his jersey lmfao.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018

The Habs also have won 6 times the amount of Stanley Cups that we have.

But it's ok that there are different opinions to this, I guess I just really like the lower numbers :D

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017

Can someone explain to me why the Rangers haven't retired #99 yet??? It was retired by the league but yet doesn't hang in the rafters of one of the arenas he called home. I have been wondering this for years. I remember he was asked about the Rangers retiring his number around the time of his retirement and he said #11 had to go up first...well, it did.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Re: #68 - Someone will have a better memory so correct me where I am wrong. In Jagr's last season as a Ranger, he had a clause in his contract that would have triggered another year or a team option for another year, if he hit certain scoring totals. Amazingly, Jagr went through a ridiculous slump. I can't remember how bad it was but I just remember it being inexplicably bad, and the option did not trigger. Jagr signed with a KHL team one day after the Rangers were eliminated from the PO's. Instead of taking what was believed to be a Ranger 1 year offer with a low base salary and incentives, Jagr went to Russia and earned the equivalent of $11M per season ($7M tax free in Russia) on a 2 yr deal with an option for a 3rd.

In Jagr's defense, I believe there was a second trigger for the option year based on PO scoring and he had a very good PO's.

Another thing I remember about that season is everyone knew the Rangers needed a secondary scorer and a defensive Dman. The Pens had the same needs and acquired Hossa and Hal Gill and won the Cup. Hossa put up 26 points in 20 games. Jagr put up 15 in 10.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Re: #68 - Someone will have a better memory so correct me where I am wrong. In Jagr's last season as a Ranger, he had a clause in his contract that would have triggered another year or a team option for another year, if he hit certain scoring totals. Amazingly, Jagr went through a ridiculous slump. I can't remember how bad it was but I just remember it being inexplicably bad, and the option did not trigger. Jagr signed with a KHL team one day after the Rangers were eliminated from the PO's. Instead of taking what was believed to be a Ranger 1 year offer with a low base salary and incentives, Jagr went to Russia and earned the equivalent of $11M per season ($7M tax free in Russia) on a 2 yr deal with an option for a 3rd.

In Jagr's defense, I believe there was a second trigger for the option year based on PO scoring and he had a very good PO's.

Another thing I remember about that season is everyone knew the Rangers needed a secondary scorer and a defensive Dman. The Pens had the same needs and acquired Hossa and Hal Gill and won the Cup. Hossa put up 26 points in 20 games. Jagr put up 15 in 10.

I forget the exact specifications but I think he was only a few points shy (4 rings a bell) from triggering the auto-extension. Another stipulation that would've done it was if he had won the MVP in 05/06. He got robbed. Pretty sure if he hit any of these, we'd have avoided the Wade Redden fiasco.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's absolutely ridiculous to retire so many classic numbers. From the numbers 1 to 11, 6 numbers are retired. An absolute farce and it has become more of a gimmick than it holding any value.

You almost start applauding the fact that we haven't won that many cups, because if so, there wouldn't be a single number left.

It is just something we in the Netherlands aren't used to. They don't even allow official number retirement in football in most leagues. Retiring numbers is a typical American thing, and the Rangers having retired only 2 numbers in 78 years were sort of the odd man out IMO.

I have no problem with retiring other numbers, as long as they are earned and not like Graves and Richter just shoehorned in because they won a Cup.

Reactions: DutchNYR

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Hank will be next. I think Zibanejad is trending to one day have his number up in the rafters too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
214p1_xlg.jpg

Purinton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad