Who is the next Ranger to get his number retired?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Basically the 9 for Bathgate (more than Graves) the 3 for Harry Howell--the 7 could work for either Frank Boucher or Rod Gilbert, the 11 for Messier, the 2 for Leetch (more than Park), the 30 for Henrik. Those are the numbers that should be retired. Giacomin's 1 is kind of iffy to me. I liked Jean Ratelle and Brad Park but too significant a part of their careers were spent elsewhere and no championships. Vic Hadfield a very good player who had had one fantastic year. Richter's 35 and Graves 9 both iffy--very good players for sure but hardly elite. Richter may have bordered on elite for maybe 3-4 years. Graves for maybe 2. Kreider is a very good player too but I just don't see it.

2,3, 7, 9, 11 and 30 those are the numbers that should be retired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ching Johnson wore #3, Bill Cook #5, Fred 'Bun' Cook #6. I worked with this guy Cliff Annis who was related to the Cook's by marriage. He married Bun's granddaughter and when Bun was elected to the HOF back in the 1990's they all went up to the ceremony. Cliff and his wife are dead now--there's Cliff's son Chuck who is a Rangers fan and also has a couple kids and maybe (or maybe not) other strands to the family tree in other marriages but that's about it. The thing is to have a jersey retirement there would be no actual player to receive the honor and no living teammates or even people who really remember seeing them play and you'd have to search far and wide even to connect to people related to them. There's not even much video. It would be a very very short ceremony and I don't see how you could give it anywhere near the pomp that the Rangers have done with others of these events. And you'd be taking No. 5 and No. 6 out of jersey selection. Not worth it really at this point for any player left out up into at least the 50's if not 60's.

I liked Greschner but again very good player---I just don't think there's enough 'there' there.

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If I was forced to give it to a second post lockout Ranger, I’d probably end up going with Zuccarello. He’s the only one who led the team in scoring 4 times.

But I think that pretty well illustrates the fundamental flaw of that era.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Leave it up to the teams he played for. When all is said and done, he played 3.5 seasons here. Is that enough?

No. I see no reason to retire no 68. Numbers they should retire:

2: Park
4: Greschner
30: Lundqvist (after he retires of course)

HM: Emile Francis. Maybe a special coach banner of something

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
No. I see no reason to retire no 68. Numbers they should retire:

2: Park
4: Greschner
30: Lundqvist (after he retires of course)

HM: Emile Francis. Maybe a special coach banner of something

Park I see no reason not to seeing how they have already retired the same number for two different players.

Hank is a lock obviously.

I go back and forth on Greschner. Certainly can see it (a la Daneyko in NJ). Maybe he's a better example of what a NYR HOF would be perfect for.

Do a banner with a cats paw for Francis!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Park I see no reason not to seeing how they have already retired the same number for two different players.

Hank is a lock obviously.

I go back and forth on Greschner. Certainly can see it (a la Daneyko in NJ). Maybe he's a better example of what a NYR HOF would be perfect for.

Do a banner with a cats paw for Francis!

Yeah. If you can have 9 twice (Bathgate, Graves) and 11 twice (Hadfield, Messier), they can sure retire no 2 a second time :laugh:

Deleted member 23124

I still believe Greshner should be up there...he broke most of Howell's records and held them until Leetch came.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Basically the 9 for Bathgate (more than Graves) the 3 for Harry Howell--the 7 could work for either Frank Boucher or Rod Gilbert, the 11 for Messier, the 2 for Leetch (more than Park), the 30 for Henrik. Those are the numbers that should be retired. Giacomin's 1 is kind of iffy to me. I liked Jean Ratelle and Brad Park but too significant a part of their careers were spent elsewhere and no championships. Vic Hadfield a very good player who had had one fantastic year. Richter's 35 and Graves 9 both iffy--very good players for sure but hardly elite. Richter may have bordered on elite for maybe 3-4 years. Graves for maybe 2. Kreider is a very good player too but I just don't see it.

2,3, 7, 9, 11 and 30 those are the numbers that should be retired.
Oh boy....Jean Ratelle played 861 games with the Rangers, and 419 games with the Bruins.

And if you retire Gilbert's number, you should retire Ratelle's number. Ratelle is just as much of a Rangers legend as Gilbert, but he wasnt as flamboyant as Gilbert (both should...and do....have their numbers retired).

Retired numbers dont have to be for elite players....they are usually for players that are considered legends for their franchises (or died under tragic circumstances). The HHOF is for the elite players.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oh boy....Jean Ratelle played 861 games with the Rangers, and 419 games with the Bruins.

And if you retire Gilbert's number, you should retire Ratelle's number. Ratelle is just as much of a Rangers legend as Gilbert, but he wasnt as flamboyant as Gilbert (both should...and do....have their numbers retired).

Retired numbers dont have to be for elite players....they are usually for players that are considered legends for their franchises (or died under tragic circumstances). The HHOF is for the elite players.

Point taken but IMO a number of his best years was as a Bruin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad