Who is the next Ranger to get his number retired?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Marc Staal - raising a #81 would be as confusing as his contract extension.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
214p1_xlg.jpg

Purinton.

#22 Fotiu

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hank's a lock. No issue with Park's 2 going up either. Anyone else, I'm not really in favor of (excluding the Cook brothers and such since that's just an era so far gone that the team wouldn't revisit at this point).

As someone mentioned earlier, I could see Kreider's number going up if they win the Cup. If he plays out his full contract, you're looking at him playing 16 seasons (including 11-12 which was playoffs only and 12-13 where he was up and down with the minors) and you gotta imagine he'll have a big hand in the Cup as well.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Hank and Park. I liked the idea a writer had in the Athletic. Create a Rangers Hall of Fame (or Hall of Honor or something) at the Garden. Use that to honor many more players, fan favorites, etc. Shorter ceremonies for Gresch, Fotiu and many others.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Re: #68 - Someone will have a better memory so correct me where I am wrong. In Jagr's last season as a Ranger, he had a clause in his contract that would have triggered another year or a team option for another year, if he hit certain scoring totals. Amazingly, Jagr went through a ridiculous slump. I can't remember how bad it was but I just remember it being inexplicably bad, and the option did not trigger. Jagr signed with a KHL team one day after the Rangers were eliminated from the PO's. Instead of taking what was believed to be a Ranger 1 year offer with a low base salary and incentives, Jagr went to Russia and earned the equivalent of $11M per season ($7M tax free in Russia) on a 2 yr deal with an option for a 3rd.

In Jagr's defense, I believe there was a second trigger for the option year based on PO scoring and he had a very good PO's.

Another thing I remember about that season is everyone knew the Rangers needed a secondary scorer and a defensive Dman. The Pens had the same needs and acquired Hossa and Hal Gill and won the Cup. Hossa put up 26 points in 20 games. Jagr put up 15 in 10.

Pens lost to the Wings that year they beat us , won the Cup the following year.

I'm watching Rangers at Islanders late in the 2006 season on MSG rewind. Jagr has 4 assists and probably should have at least 5 more.

No Ranger will ever come close to the dominance he had that year. What a joke he didn't win the Hart.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hank's a lock. No issue with Park's 2 going up either. Anyone else, I'm not really in favor of (excluding the Cook brothers and such since that's just an era so far gone that the team wouldn't revisit at this point).

As someone mentioned earlier, I could see Kreider's number going up if they win the Cup. If he plays out his full contract, you're looking at him playing 16 seasons (including 11-12 which was playoffs only and 12-13 where he was up and down with the minors) and you gotta imagine he'll have a big hand in the Cup as well.
I think at least one 40G season needs to accompany that ring for him to be even considered.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It is just something we in the Netherlands aren't used to. They don't even allow official number retirement in football in most leagues. Retiring numbers is a typical American thing, and the Rangers having retired only 2 numbers in 78 years were sort of the odd man out IMO.

I have no problem with retiring other numbers, as long as they are earned and not like Graves and Richter just shoehorned in because they won a Cup.

Even with the 52 goals and the Cup win, I don’t think Graves gets in without his off ice stuff. I get the debate on whether that should ever matter for jersey retirement, of course.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Even with the 52 goals and the Cup win, I don’t think Graves gets in without his off ice stuff. I get the debate on whether that should ever matter for jersey retirement, of course.

Agreed. I do think that with the Graves , the Rangers put their own stamp on qualifications for a number retirement. Sure there's the on-ice production, but also what you have meant to the organization, city and community.

Reactions: Tawnos

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
When his jersey retirement was announced, his off-ice contributions were specifically mentioned. Made me think they wouldn't without them. I think it was Leetch who announced it at his number retirement?

Reactions: Tawnos

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When his jersey retirement was announced, his off-ice contributions were specifically mentioned. Made me think they wouldn't without them. I think it was Leetch who announced it at his number retirement?

Park is a Hall of Famer and along with Leetch one of the 2 best defensemen in the entire 90 something years team's history.

Graves going before Park took away the whole reason for retiring a player's jersey and changed it into a nonsensical honor. It was so he could be in the rafters with his buddies.

I think Kovalev was more important than Graves during the Cup run, so it can't be argued that it's because Graves won a Cup.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
2 has already been retired for Leetch, deservedly so.

But It should have been also recognized as to Park.
2 will be 're-retired' or what have you to honor Park.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Park is a Hall of Famer and along with Leetch one of the 2 best defensemen in the entire 90 something years team's history.

Graves going before Park took away the whole reason for retiring a player's jersey and changed it into a nonsensical honor. It was so he could be in the rafters with his buddies.

I think Kovalev was more important than Graves during the Cup run, so it can't be argued that it's because Graves won a Cup.

I agree, Graves was a turning point for Ranger jersey retirements. It was bad enough Graves was even allowed to wear 9, and then they retire it for him instead of Bathgate. Just brutal. Had more to do with Graves' off-ice contributions than anything, and because the other three in the "core 4" went up. If Richter doesn't go up, I don't think Graves gets serious consideration.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad