Speculation: Who is the next Habs captain?

Next Habs captain

• Total voters

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Gallagher

Suzuki is still really young he doesnt need no media pressure from being captain
let him focus on hes game he will be the captain after Gally
For this year, the three A's should be Gallagher, Petry, Suzuki with Lehkonen and Byron in the wings. No captain for now, see what happens with Shea. If he is in LTIR, leave it this way for two years, if he retires this year, then one year before naming a captain.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
From our seat it's virtually impossible to tell. There's no obvious answer like Weber out there.

I would tend to say that we spend next year without a Captain, and then, after Suzuki is extended (probably to an 8 years deal) we make him the Captain.

Reactions: Redux91

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It feels like Gally is the right answer now, maybe Petry.

But I expect that Montreal doesn't name a new Captain any time soon. Petry likely wears an A (along with Gally and Byron).

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I voted Brett Kulak... to be different and cool.... but somebody beat me to it! Damn... I'm such a loser

Reactions: Saxon

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
It’s gotta be Gallagher, no? Felt some type of way about him getting passed over Pacioretty, and then Weber (though Weber is an obvious great choice). I understand wanting to anoint Suzuki, and see the rationale of essentially handing the franchise keys to the future star, but I like my captains with a touch of sentimentality, and from pretty much his first game here, I’ve wanted to see Gallagher with the C.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I believe that Suzuki will captain this team down the line. However, he has 1 full regular season under his belt and 1 shortened season. Let him continue to grow without the C on his jersey for a couple of years. He's still improving and learning. Why add unnecessary pressure on his shoulders? I want him to focus entirely on the sport, not on public relations.

I voted Gallagher because he's the obvious choice. But I would have preferred if his contract was 2 years less. 4 years would have been a good buffer period between Weber and Suzuki. Otherwise, give the C to Price like Vancouver did with Luongo.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Picked Suzuki because I think they’ll go all A’s for a season or two.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would not be surprised if they go with 3 A to start the season until a final decision is made by Weber as to his future.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Gonna catch some flak but I don't see Gallagher as a captain. "Pests" (talking reputation here) usually don't become captain - refs simply don't respect them. Then again, MB has a hard on for him so it's quite possible he's next in line. He certainly has the team to heart so I'll give him that. To me a A is perfect for him.

I would wait at least a year without a captain then see what happens with Weber and re-evaluate (maybe give it to Gallagher then). Just run with three As in the meantime.

I kind of agree with this rationale but I just think it would be too disrespectful to Gallagher since the guy is such a leader and a warrior and has been on this team for so long. He has bled for this team and also has been an alternate captain for a long time. He has paid his dues.

I would prefer Petry but I just can't see them passing over Gallagher like that.

The only thing I hate is that I think Gallagher is going to slow down a lot and be overpaid so we will basically have a 6M 4th liner captain for a bunch of seasons, trying to win the Cup. Not sure if that's the best recipe, though Dustin Brown was captain in LA for some time and they did win it all.

Chris Clark was captain for a while in Washington but they sucked back then.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad