Speculation: Who is the next Habs captain?

Next Habs captain

• Total voters

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
Koivu was youngest named captain at 24 so no need to break that record.

I agree with posters above go with 3 A's this year out of respect to shea until it is formally confirmed he is done forever.

Then I'd give it to Petry for the couple years left on his deal and THEN review the new young core for a captain long term. Possibly Suzuki then as he would also be around 24 to 25 entering his prime.

But bergy will flex his biceps and give it to Gallagher at camp this year.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
What is it about Nick Suzuki that so many Habs fans are enamored with him and want to make him the next captain? I don't believe he will be even close to the greatness that Paul Kariya showed.

Reactions: jessie33333

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
Gally would be the worst choice possible,

You need to have a captain who the refs respect, and a captain who respects the refs,

Gally doesn't fit either of those,
100 percent agree. Just saying what Marc will do. Not the smart thing just what he believes is good idea.

If they bring danault back they could make him captain. Might be enough of a PR move to get the media in Quebec off the draft controversy

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Gally would be the worst choice possible,

You need to have a captain who the refs respect, and a captain who respects the refs,

Gally doesn't fit either of those,

That is utter nonsense, typical fan viewpoint that has nothing to do with reality. The captain needs to be someone who is respected by their teammates and coaches on and off of the ice and is the type of player that other players want to follow into battle. This referee nonsense is laughable, players don't talk officials into or out of calls.....ever.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think they should go with three As until is is 100% confirmed Weber will never return. I think that gives enough time for Guhle to come in and establish himself. Personality wise, dude is a cross between Toews and Weber. He should probably captain team Canada this coming year too

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I’m pessimistic about Gally. I feel his physical crash and bleed style exposes him to falling off a cliff at a point (or more often). How much harder does he become to trade or bench if he’s the C? Like “malaise’. Can a C be 3rd line struggling winger? He’s a warrior and the org loves him. Is a C mostly player-facing as is suggested in the thread, like a good team-lead on projects?

Reactions: WickedPegJets

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
What is it about Nick Suzuki that so many Habs fans are enamored with him and want to make him the next captain? I don't believe he will be even close to the greatness that Paul Kariya showed.
Why, of the thousands of NHL players would you compare Suzuki to Kariya???

Oh yeah ..kariya.... that famous habs captain??????

I guess its got nothing to do with certain origins...

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
I would like Gallagher to get the C as he is the work horse of the organization, but most probably they will give it to either Suzuki or Petry.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I hope they will just unceremoniously put the C on Gallagher's jersey right at the the start of the season instead of making a long process and make it look like the captain carries the weight of the world on his shoulders.
Don't put too much pressure on one guy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That is utter nonsense, typical fan viewpoint that has nothing to do with reality. The captain needs to be someone who is respected by their teammates and coaches on and off of the ice and is the type of player that other players want to follow into battle. This referee nonsense is laughable, players don't talk officials into or out of calls.....ever.

The captain will do the most verbal communication with the official. You want it to be someone who the officials respect.

It's not about the officials getting talked into or out of a certain call. It's about the overall perception the habs create among the officials by naming him captain.

Even though I'm sure some officials take alot of pride in being as non biased as possible, they are only human, and I don't want them to have anymore ammunition to have a negative view of the habs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I have not heard anybody call him Paul Kariya here or anywhere else. Wherever you got that from has to be looked at in isolation.

Is it because of the Japanese heritage or something? Whatever the case, they are two completely different styles.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I’m pessimistic about Gally. I feel his physical crash and bleed style exposes him to falling off a cliff at a point (or more often). How much harder does he become to trade or bench if he’s the C? Like “malaise’. Can a C be 3rd line struggling winger? He’s a warrior and the org loves him. Is a C mostly player-facing as is suggested in the thread, like a good team-lead on projects?

This organization has no problem trading/not re-signing captains.

Reactions: PaulD

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
What is it about Nick Suzuki that so many Habs fans are enamored with him and want to make him the next captain?

Good question. I don't think I would want him to be captain now. I just wouldn't put the pressure on him at 21, But he does have some qualities we all saw in the playoffs that make him a consideration in a lot of people's minds in the future. He is a good player. He seems to have good head for the game, and he plays the game responsibly defensively. He played like a leader in many ways. He constantly gave a good effort. He was good when other player's were just bad. Comes across as having a pretty good head on his shoulders and also a lot of heart to go with it.

Who would you pick to be our captain?

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Voted Gally but they should go without a captain next year, and we all know Price is the real leader of this team.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
Exactly. There was a thread made almost exactly the same weeks ago and I said the same thing. Gally is like a horse with eyes protector that don't see the side of his face. He sees one way and crash. That's fine to have soldiers like that on a battlefield, giving their all but you need someone that sees the whole picture to be Captain. Petry fits that role better because as a D you see the whole game, esp. an offensive D like him that set up the plays. And he has the calm demeanor to be captain and this regime tend to like guys like that.

Plus given Petry's age, they could transition to Suzuki as Captain quicker.
I agree 100%; it's all going to depend on what the boys in the locker room believe...

I would give the Captaincy to Suzuki over Gally.

I like Gally; i don't want to harp on him.
He got pile drived into the ice by Sergachev.

Would that have happened to Weber? We all know what Weber would have done to him.

I do not want a Captain that other teams can so easily put a bounty on.

Gally is the warrior in the trenches

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3