Who is the next 'fall guy' after Spezza?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm actually surprised no one has brought this up but as much as I dislike even looking at this thread, whoever we get as a return for Spezza could be subjected to some fairly big criticism/expectations.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It's all about perception...that gliding slow skating style he has looks lazy. When you look lazy, people will say you are lazy. When the legs are moving, people think you're hustling. All about perception.

That and his -23, is a couple of reasons why Team Canada doesn't give him a second look.

MURRAY has to be the next fall guy, because not only are we no better than we were 5-6 years ago, but worse, rebuild or no rebuild. He's let too many good people walk with **** in return.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Team Canada doesn't need him because Team Canada can only take so many centres

No one here thinks Spezza is a top 5 centre in the NHL

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Team Canada doesn't need him because Team Canada can only take so many centres

No one here thinks Spezza is a top 5 centre in the NHL

Im pretty sure theyre talking about World Championships here...

The rumour this year was that he declined because his wife is expecting another baby...

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
That and his -23, is a couple of reasons why Team Canada doesn't give him a second look.

MURRAY has to be the next fall guy, because not only are we no better than we were 5-6 years ago, but worse, rebuild or no rebuild. He's let too many good people walk with **** in return.

This will never, ever, ever happen.

Did you listen to Steve Lloyd and Chris Stevenson this morning? Lloyd was drooling over the fact they'd talked 15 minutes with the GM and Stevenson was speaking as if he were Murray's spouse, the affection was gushing out of him. It's sad, they had the opportunity to corner Murray on the Alfie topic, to bring up Spezza's potential trade demands in 2010, to ask questions about why so many players are leaving...or why he hasn't supported Spezza as much in the media.

I mean, we deserve better. I'd love to trade the TSN1200 and Sun boys for Montreal or Toronto's crew, Murray would never handle it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This will never, ever, ever happen.

Did you listen to Steve Lloyd and Chris Stevenson this morning? Lloyd was drooling over the fact they'd talked 15 minutes with the GM and Stevenson was speaking as if he were Murray's spouse, the affection was gushing out of him. It's sad, they had the opportunity to corner Murray on the Alfie topic, to bring up Spezza's potential trade demands in 2010, to ask questions about why so many players are leaving...or why he hasn't supported Spezza as much in the media.

I mean, we deserve better. I'd love to trade the TSN1200 and Sun boys for Montreal or Toronto's crew, Murray would never handle it.

If you ask questions you're told not to ask, you will never interview Murray again. Not only that, but the team can stop anyone involved with the franchise from being interviewed by anyone they choose.

It's not always as simple as media personalities being too fanboy to ask questions. Im not saying that Murray is some tyrant that gives a list of approved questions before interviews, but the hosts have to walk a fine line and not piss off those they interview or they'll have a hard time lining up guests in the future.

Listen to some interviews. Hosts will ask a couple of probing questions, and depending on the tone of the answers they'll either dig deeper or move onto another topic.

It's especially bad in Ottawa since the Senators are the only game in town. if a radio host or newspaper columnist pisses off the team they're finished in this city.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thread title could also be :

"who do we push out of town after Spezza?"

My hope : Cowen. And then watch him flourish elsewhere. This fanbase is a few years away for being a bit reasonable and patient, but will need more adversity first

Frankly this fanbase reminds me a bit of the Habs 20 years ago (when I started disliking the Habs because of it), you know that sense of entitlement "we're the center of the universe", that can drive players like Patrick Roy out of town in a heartbeat

Back to topic, it could really be literally anyone who has a bad year. See Kuba in 2010-11

For now, I think the HF Sens board will concentrate on Phillips, Neil and Greening because they make money while they don't

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't need a fall guy this team is littered with non NHL'ers. Cowen and Phillips are astonishingly bad already and will deserve all the negativity and complaining that will come naturally to an educated fan base.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Why has everyone given up on Cowen having a much improved year next season? He could struggle again, but he could also breakout into a 30 pt wiser and better defensively 20-22 minute top 4 D next season. Frankly I expect Karlsson, Spezza (wherever he goes) and Cowen to all be a lot better next season. A year off from injury sometimes takes 2 seasons to fully recover from. Both mentally and physically. Karlsson was decent but not what he was before the injury all over the ice. Spezza took until about February to return to the scoring dominant form he usually shows.
Cowen has so much more to recover from because he is so inexperenced as well.
Not saying a Cowen breaking out into a really good physical 2 way top 4 D is for sure, but it certainly is within the realm of possibility, especially if the team can implement and play a system effectively like they did in the previous 2 seasons.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
Don't need a fall guy this team is littered with non NHL'ers. Cowen and Phillips are astonishingly bad already and will deserve all the negativity and complaining that will come naturally to an educated fan base.

LOL, youve taken a post about fall guys, and actually started complaining about yours. Well done.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
¡El Mullet de Bonk! @BonksMullet
I'm surprised Brennan was able to stab Karlsson in the back with the knife still lodged in Jason Spezza. pic.twitter.com/qRmqpYVDDG

SensChirp
‏@SensChirp Spezza will soon be turning in that target that has always been on his back. Looks like Erik Karlsson is next in line

Brennan will never forgive Karlsson for not giving him his post divorce interview.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
¡El Mullet de Bonk! @BonksMullet
I'm surprised Brennan was able to stab Karlsson in the back with the knife still lodged in Jason Spezza. pic.twitter.com/qRmqpYVDDG

SensChirp
‏@SensChirp Spezza will soon be turning in that target that has always been on his back. Looks like Erik Karlsson is next in line

Brennan will never forgive Karlsson for not giving him his post divorce interview.

Wow these guys from the Sun could at least wait til Spezza's out of town before they're on to the next one.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I would love to leave my insight on Don Brennan but i dont think the rules here can handle it.

But i do remember Telling Erik Karlsson , I think Brennan is a POS, and he replied thats obvious, and we shared a chuckle over it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Here's specifically Brennan's quote, as per the Bonk'sMullet tweet:

Bqw6DkFCYAAx0LR.png:large

... BUT OUR TOWN DOESN'T DO THAT, RIGHT GUYS?!?

Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour has come to be expected from our embarrassing, barely-literate, "dropped-out-of-clown-college" media. For those of you asking "WHY DOES THIS THREAD EXIST?!?11"... well, this is why. THIS RIGHT HERE. It was inevitable, and lo and behold, here we are.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour has come to be expected from our embarrassing, barely-literate, "dropped-out-of-clown-college" media. For those of you asking "WHY DOES THIS THREAD EXIST?!?11"... well, this is why. THIS RIGHT HERE. It was inevitable, and lo and behold, here we are.

A :handclap: for your edit.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

brilliant....I don't know why anyone on here would take this thread to mean anything else other than being tongue in cheek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad