Who is the next 'fall guy' after Spezza?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Turris not producing, Ryan not scoring, Murray bad team

Anderson should provide #1 level goaltending, and Karlsson will at least serve his offensive duties

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apologies if this has been posted, but who is the next 'fall guy' when things don't go well for us? Who will some of us implore Murray to 'trade ______ ' until it becomes a meme?

Whoever we get back when we trade Spezza...

For example, I can't believe we only got the 21st OA! We suck trade the 21st OA, what a POC!

But seriously, I think I'll probably scapegoat Stone, he seems like a nice kid.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
It might be easier to pick out the players that will not be scapegoated in one way or another.

The incumbents in that category are Turris, MacArthur and...that's it. Hah.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Well Phillips is already there with many of the fans on this board anyway.

I don't know if they'll ever be a "Trade Karlsson!" thread led by the fans, but Brennan already has it out for him and he's another offense first player.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Karlsson. People are going to start getting on him for his mental mistakes pretty soon. So far he has gotten a free pass but the young kid label is going to come off this year.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Karlsson for sure. Saying anything else is wishful thinking. Brennan already has it out for him and he's another offense first player.

Who cares what that pathetic waste of skin has to say about anything? He's the writer version of Mike Milbury. If Milbury and Glen Healy had a love child, it would be Don Brennan.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Karlsson vs Spezza

There is clearly a Karlsson vs Spezza split on this board and irl. No one straight out says it but theres always subtle comments that make it obvious.

I dont understand why people target Karlsson? Is it purely spite and/or untruthful? Are people seriously not going to like Karlsson just because a large group of fans dont like Spezza anymore?

Are we seriously about to try to run Karlsson out of town just because of how the fans treated Spezza and absolutely nothing to actually do with Karlsson?

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Who's to say that Karlsson won't get the same treatment that Spezza got?

People have had polarized opinions of him since his career began, much like Spezza. Karlsson is a 1-dimentional player. He is. After his injury he isn't the same dominant player that he was prior to it. Will he come back to form? Who knows? People are always gonna hold him to a higher standard, much like Spezza. When he doesn't deliver, it could get ugly.

There's a ton of similarities between them. Spezza's history could be re-writing itself in the shape of a young swedish defenseman.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
They're pretty similar. Offensive wizards but defensively they have deficiencies. Karlsson is younger and has more room to grow but if he doesnt improve defensively in the next few years I think he might end up like spezza.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can see people ragging on Turris...he's a good player, but not a legit #1C. If he's forced into that role permanently people will lose patience with his "lack" of production quickly (meaning people will expect Spezza-like production he simply isn't capable of doing).

Karlsson. Many of the big Spezza boosters have been insanely jealous of the love Karlsson has gotten and will be the first ones to go after the kid out of spite. (Difference is, Spezza had over a decade to get his defensive game in order and didn't, whereas Karlsson is still young and growing.)

Phillips & Neil. Last of the old guard. Last of the country club crowd. No longer good enough to play the roles Paulrus will likely put them in next season.

Whoever comes back in the trade (if it's made). That player will never match Spezza's offensive totals, so we will automatically "lose" the trade in the minds of some.

Ryan. Kid is streaky and has a bit of a different personalty for an athlete, so he'll draw wrath during his slumps.

Andy/Lehner....no shutout and we lost? Goalie's fault!

...that about covers it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is clearly a Karlsson vs Spezza split on this board and irl. No one straight out says it but theres always subtle comments that make it obvious.

I dont understand why people target Karlsson? Is it purely spite and/or untruthful? Are people seriously not going to like Karlsson just because a large group of fans dont like Spezza anymore?

Are we seriously about to try to run Karlsson out of town just because of how the fans treated Spezza and absolutely nothing to actually do with Karlsson?

Yes.

It's not a coincidence the biggest Spezza boosters are also the biggest Karlsson critics.

Sibling rivalry, fan-style.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Karlsson. People are going to start getting on him for his mental mistakes pretty soon. So far he has gotten a free pass but the young kid label is going to come off this year.

Karlsson is what? 23? When he reaches 27 and starts hitting his peak, he will be the best player in the NHL bar none. No way I can scapegoat that kid.

damianthesensfan

Alfie!!!
Feb 3, 2010
OTTAWA
Someone needs to take this post down, its like everyone enjoys this.. The next fall out guy is the next person everyone wants to cry about.. Be happy were getting something for spezza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad