Who is the next Chris Pronger?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Nobody played the game like Pronger did before he came to the NHL, and I highly doubt someone will play it like him in the future. He's a fantastic player, and he's a top 20 defenseman of all time in my books, especially considering that he's taken three different teams to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Victor will never be as mean as that.

As mean. He'll still be a mean defenceman that logs huge minutes and a hard player to play against. I see too many similarities between two around the way they play the game, without as many you know... cheap shots that Pronger is accustomed to.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Tyler Myers.

In terms of priospects, I'd say Doubie Hamilton might have more potential than Gudbrandson of becoming a Pronger type, although that is a bit of a reach.

Myers skates like Pronger when he was young. He plays a good defensive game too but I don't think he has a shot as good as Pronger. Is he mean and dirty? Not sure I haven't seen him play enough. They look similar in their size and skating style more than anybody though.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Marincin has the mean streak to be Pronger 2.0 (just ask Jason Zucker), but whether he can convert his offensive abilities from the dub into the NHL I dunno.

I'd say he has about as good a chance as any.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
4 Pages and only two people mention the obvious Candidate in Tyler Myers? Sure, he looked like a offensive guy so far in his career, but that was very similar to Chris Pronger. Give him time to get stronger, refine his game, get nastier, become more conservative, and he has Pronger 2.0 written all over him. A lot of people only think of the nastiness when it comes to Chris Pronger, not realizing that he is a very skilled defenceman. The guy is 6'6 and only weighs 220 lbs, he doesnt' really have a lot of muscle on him, he just uses his size very well. That's something Myers is going to have to learn as he develops.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
4 Pages and only two people mention the obvious Candidate in Tyler Myers? Sure, he looked like a offensive guy so far in his career, but that was very similar to Chris Pronger. Give him time to get stronger, refine his game, get nastier, become more conservative, and he has Pronger 2.0 written all over him. A lot of people only think of the nastiness when it comes to Chris Pronger, not realizing that he is a very skilled defenceman. The guy is 6'6 and only weighs 220 lbs, he doesnt' really have a lot of muscle on him, he just uses his size very well. That's something Myers is going to have to learn as he develops.

You don't "get" nasty, you are nasty or you aren't. Myers isn't.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I know Nick Ebert! He was only playing regular high school hockey 2 years ago in NJ (Then drafted to USHL, now in OHL) I played with him in travel and against him in high school, and I must say he is a fantastic player. He has skill, grit, and determination.

Also, he scored 2 SHG on the same penalty kill once:handclap:

Bah, I did that too, but we were 2 guys down, less than a minute to play and it won us the championship to boot.

Ok, so I was only 8, I guess I peaked a little early :D

cheesed-off*

But his head is about the size of a softball, so if he had a normal-sized head, we are looking at a good 6-7 more pounds.

6'6 227 sounds pretty sweet.

cheesed-off*

The neck and head are almost the same diameter.

chris-pronger.jpg

beeker.jpg

lindros_pronger1.jpg

beeker2.jpg

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Honestly, before skill or nastiness, what I think of when it comes to Pronger is "smarter."

He doesn't have crazy stickhandling, but he's so smart that he puts himself in position to never have to worry about it.
He shoots it hard and fairly accurately, but there are defensemen on nearly every team with better shots in a vacuum - what Pronger brings is the intelligence to know what shot to take and how to get it through.
He does "have it all," but he's not an impressive skater. His size and passing are probably his only truly superior tools. His intelligence and burning competitiveness are his real assets. Fortunately, he's skilled enough and physically gifted enough that he is able to put his intelligence and competitiveness to great use.

This may exist in Meyers, but I don't see it right now.

Last edited:

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
EJ, Myers, Weber are the nhl guys i think of, maybe siemens? But i dont think theres the same offensive flare there

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Gudbranson. Anyone who follows him knows that he has a much better potential offensive game than he's given credit for. And no one needs to explain if he's physical or not.

Analyzer*

Agreed with the people who said Reinhart. Hes the only person who plays anything like him, Jones could be, but he'll likely be a Chara since its not unlikely to imagine he'll be 6'11 or 7' by the time he reaches the NHL.

Ebert is definitely not a Pronger. Hes a high octane offensive defensemen.

What's Jones' first name ?

Dylan Mcilrath :sarcasm:

He could be like S.S.

Tinordi doesn't have the skill and is too aggressive to be like Pronger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad