Who is the next Chris Pronger?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Anybody predict who the next Chris Progner will be? A big nasty dman that can do it all?

Does Martin Marincin fit the bill at all? Seems to have a bit of anasty streak along with good pffensive insticts.

The only concern is his weight, he is currently 190 pounds at 6'4.

I guess he is only 18 years old though...

Who do you think is the next Gap Toothed Warrior?

This prospect has a bit of a nasty streak and you are comparing him to Pronger?

Pronger has one of the nastiest streaks out of any NHLer ever. I don't think fully realize how much of a ***** he really is or has been.

In his junior days he was also a nightmare to play against. The most notable moment being when he turned midplay and fired a puck at the bench of the Sault Greyhounds head coach Ted Nolan.

And there was never any doubt about whether Pronger was going to be a top defencemen unless drinking got in the way. He liked the bottle quite a bit in his junior days.

Trust me on this I grew up watching him and was a friend of the family that billeted him with the Petes.

decadentia

Jun 21, 2007
New Brunswick
If there was a Chris Pronger out of any prospects that currently exist, you'd know about it and it. I'd go as far to say it wouldn't even be debated, that's how good/well rounded he'd have to be.

To me, Chris Pronger is the Lindros of defensemen, an amazing physical specimen. It simply doesn't happen very often.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
EJ = Pronger
Pietrangelo = Lidstrom

EJ is not as physical as Pronger which might be good considering how the game is becoming less physical. Hope EJ can bounce back from a sub-par year, he has the talent to be great. Pietrangelo looks amazing, will be very good if he keeps on this track but I see him as a Scott Niedermayer type of d-man which Ill be happy with.

I don't see any prospect that has the talent, size, and physical play that Pronger has.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
EJ is not as physical as Pronger which might be good considering how the game is becoming less physical. Hope EJ can bounce back from a sub-par year, he has the talent to be great. Pietrangelo looks amazing, will be very good if he keeps on this track but I see him as a Scott Niedermayer type of d-man which Ill be happy with.

I don't see any prospect that has the talent, size, and physical play that Pronger has.

Pietrangelo has not, does not, and will not play like Niedermayer. Same level of impact? Maybe. Same offensive skill/contribution? I can buy it. But otherwise dissimilar.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Chris Prongers don't come along every day, or even every decade. He's a heck of a lot more rare than 100-point scorers, in terms of prospects.

Puck movers come along often enough... at five foot ten. Puck-moving defense with the size of a caber and snarl is a very rare package.

It's far more likely than not that there is no current prospect or prospect on the immediate horizon with Chris Pronger's career ahead of him.

The last defenseman to win the Hart Trophy was Chris Pronger. The next last is Bobby Orr in 1972. That's a grand total of two since the Summit Series, or 40 years.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not a prospect, but Shea Weber is probably the closest thing to Pronger of any current young dman. Not as tall as Pronger, worse passer, and worse defenensively, but he's still a massive dman with a great shot and otherwise solid all around game.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
There can only be one.

correct answer.

Pronger is the last of a dying breed. Guys that are world-class and a top 10 at their position, tough as nails, intimidating, can control a game, and clutch.

Guys like that, of semi recent note, were Scott Stevens and Messier. Pronger is the only current player that combines ALL of those characteristics. Mike Richards was close... but he's not really intimidating.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Not a prospect, but Shea Weber is probably the closest thing to Pronger of any current young dman. Not as tall as Pronger, worse passer, and worse defenensively, but he's still a massive dman with a great shot and otherwise solid all around game.

i thought about him too. He's close... reminds me of Stevens. Funny.. as great as Weber is, he's still not on the same planet as Pronger (or Stevens)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad