Who is the Next Captain? (When we name one, not necessarily right now)

Who is the Next Captain?

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Mika Zibanejad

• Chris Kreider

Results are only viewable after voting.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I wouldn't go that far....it's a challenging positon.

Leetch sucked the 3 years he had it and that was the beginning of the dark ages, Mess was a shell of himself after Vancouver, Jagr was gone after two years, Drury had one good season and then his knees fell off, Callahan was dope in 2012 but was never able to live up to that again, McDonagh sucked from the second he got it and then nearly killed Zucc, was always injured and barely played in Game 7 against Tampa which slammed that window shut.

Between Jagr, Drury, Callahan and McDonagh I dont even think we got like 10 full seasons of them wearing the C. 4 captains in barely 10 years is really really bad.

Last edited:

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
I think in general, fans put way more importance into the captaincy of a team than most of the players probably care about. At the end of the day the true leader(s) of any locker room will find their way into a leadership role by:

1) Being one of the better players on the team
2) Being one of the hardest working players on the team
3) Being vocal in the locker room and calling out guys when they're slacking off
4) Being 100% focused on hockey during the season
5) Being well liked by teammates

Being officially recognized as captain of the team doesn't change any of the above, which is why it really doesn't matter.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Leetch sucked the 3 years he had it and that was the beginning of the dark ages, Mess was a shell of himself after Vancouver, Jagr was gone after two years, Drury had one good season and then his knees fell off, Callahan was dope in 2012 but was never able to live up to that again, McDonagh sucked from the second he got it and then nearly killed Zucc, was always injured and barely played in Game 7 against Tampa which slammed that window shut.

Between Jagr, Drury, Callahan and McDonagh I dont even think we got like 10 full seasons of them wearing the C. 4 captains in barely 10 years is really really bad.
As I said, it's a challenging position.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

seems absurd at his age with some Vets like Kredier yet Sidney Crosby was named Captain of the Pens at 19 years. Weird i thought at the time but he did wear the C.

I would this to be Laf and Kakko’s team yet think the Vets like Kreider and Zibby have to be gone.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Rangers should abolish the Captain designation. It brings only misfortune.

I think Kreider is going to be named captain soon but I feel like it will end badly. Kreider is already on thin ice with the fanbase for that contract he signed. Not looking forward to hearing people bitch about him for the next 7 years.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I think in general, fans put way more importance into the captaincy of a team than most of the players probably care about. At the end of the day the true leader(s) of any locker room will find their way into a leadership role by:

1) Being one of the better players on the team
2) Being one of the hardest working players on the team
3) Being vocal in the locker room and calling out guys when they're slacking off
4) Being 100% focused on hockey during the season
5) Being well liked by teammates

Being officially recognized as captain of the team doesn't change any of the above, which is why it really doesn't matter.
This. Look at Roy and Luongo. Didn’t stop them from being vocal and leading by example on the ice.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Nobody this year. Laf next year. This is going to be his team for the next decade or so. Give him the keys early if he has a solid rookie year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The fact that Lafreniere has more votes than ZBad or is tied with Kreider is crazy. Let the kid play one game at least.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think they are hesitant to give the C to Mika. I mean...They could have done that already. They didn't. Same for #20. I think the Org gave the team plenty of time for a leader to emerge and thus far i don't think a true captain has stepped up. I do hope is LaFreniere.

Just based off points i don't think any one player should ear a captaincy. I think it about stepping up. Leading on the ice and off the ice. Points are a factor. Cant remember the last time a bottom 6 guy wore a C. But i think he has to do more. Get the team going when they need the boost. Raise the play of other players. Be vocal in the room. Stand up for a teammate or two. Be the guy they rely on when the club is down 1 and there a minute left to play.
That just about sums up Tony DeAngelo ....if they retain him. It sounds crazy...but he probably has the most captain on ice traits at this time . Anybody that will stand there and entertain fighting Ross the Boss and attempting to do so...deserves some honorable mention . We know he is rah rah...and he can raise the level of play . Other teams would HATE him .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
But..will likely never happen....
Tony wearing a C....but if he stays at the very least he should get an A as well as Mika and I say Kreider the C by default .

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hell would freeze over before Tony DeAngelo is named captain of the Rangers lol

If the trend of our captains being traded holds true, than I want Kreider to get it

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
That just about sums up Tony DeAngelo ....if they retain him. It sounds crazy...but he probably has the most captain on ice traits at this time . Anybody that will stand there and entertain fighting Ross the Boss and attempting to do so...deserves some honorable mention . We know he is rah rah...and he can raise the level of play . Other teams would HATE him .

Tony wearing the C bothers me significantly because I dont want him as the face of the franchise. I understand that from a fan standpoint and a player standpoint those are two different things.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I like that idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad