Who is the Next Captain? (When we name one, not necessarily right now)

Who is the Next Captain?

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Mika Zibanejad

• Chris Kreider

Results are only viewable after voting.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kid hasn't skated a second of pro hockey and he's already being penned in as captain for his sophomore season.

Absolute joke. That NY Post interview really got some folks...hook, line, and sinker.

Has nothing to do with the Post interview. And I don’t think most people are expecting him to be named captain next week.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Has nothing to do with the Post interview. And I don’t think most people are expecting him to be named captain next week.

I mean if we're laying odds on who will be the NYR C on opening night for the 21-22 season Lafreniere would have to be even money, no?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I mean if we're laying odds on who will be the NYR C on opening night for the 21-22 season Lafreniere would have to be even money, no?

I think he definitely is a prime candidate.

This is going to be his team sooner than some may realize, and his personality and approach are going to be a big part of that identity.

I don’t see the Rangers naming a captain, just to re-think that decision in a few years.

Moving on from Lundqvist was part of that shift.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If you watch any interviews of Laf he exemplifies everything a captain should be, he's also someone who plays with an edge which can't be said of Zibanejad. Zibanejad has basically the opposite personality, he's a guy who doesn't seem to live & breathe hockey like the Laf's, the McDavids, the MacKinnon's of the world do

I think Laf is a leader for sure. But for the immediate future, i dont see him wearing any letters. Have to earn it right? Im hoping he can be the guy. Im pulling for him. But...for the next season or two im not sure he will wear any letters.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think Laf is a leader for sure. But for the immediate future, i dont see him wearing any letters. Have to earn it right? Im hoping he can be the guy. Im pulling for him. But...for the next season or two im not sure he will wear any letters.

Totally agree. But if he has a 25/35/60 rookie season would you give the C to anyone else the following year? Seems like this is the last chance to go with Mika or Kreider imo.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Totally agree. But if he has a 25/35/60 rookie season would you give the C to anyone else the following year? Seems like this is the last chance to go with Mika or Kreider imo.

I think they are hesitant to give the C to Mika. I mean...They could have done that already. They didn't. Same for #20. I think the Org gave the team plenty of time for a leader to emerge and thus far i don't think a true captain has stepped up. I do hope is LaFreniere.

Just based off points i don't think any one player should ear a captaincy. I think it about stepping up. Leading on the ice and off the ice. Points are a factor. Cant remember the last time a bottom 6 guy wore a C. But i think he has to do more. Get the team going when they need the boost. Raise the play of other players. Be vocal in the room. Stand up for a teammate or two. Be the guy they rely on when the club is down 1 and there a minute left to play.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The thread is asking who is the next captain, nowhere is it meant to imply we are naming a captain right now
I'll add to OP

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Kreider was my pick before the extension. He’s the right guy for the C at this moment. The type of game he plays, to me, will only benefit from the added motivation instead of crumbling under the pressure of the letter.

I don’t think Zib can’t handle it, I just think Kreider is a better fit for a young team that needs a player that leads by example on and off the ice the way Kreider does.

And let’s let Lafreniere get his skates on the ice before we hand him anything. I don’t doubt he’ll wear a letter for this team at some point, but this isn’t that time.

This will likely ruffle some feathers, but I think a sleeper option is Trouba.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It goes beyond the post article lol.

Guys like Toews and Landeskog got the C in their sophomore seasons. Didn't hinder their games at all. Some guys are just meant for the role.

Yes but they didn't have quality vets like Panarin Mika, and Kreider on the team. I highly doubt a second year player gets a C and I don't care if he scores 100 points.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kid hasn't skated a second of pro hockey and he's already being penned in as captain for his sophomore season.

Absolute joke. That NY Post interview really got some folks...hook, line, and sinker.
Lafrieniere: "I would like to win the Stanley Cup"

Rangers fans:
AnyFineAsianporcupine-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Irishguy42

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
When was the last time the Rangers went so long without a captain? If not this season it’ll be 3.5 seasons.

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Mika certainly could be the Captain
But there is a good chance he's traded before his contract is up in a couple years
Not sure they can afford another 10+mil player
Examples of sophomore stars getting the C have already been presented and so it shouldn't be shocking Laf is our C in 2 years. Go with just the A's this year

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
There has to be a leader if there's ever going to be any kind of structure within the team.

Kreider has seniority in this organization and the kids need to have someone to look up to IMO.

Not sure he needs the added pressure but someone has to step up!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Mika certainly could be the Captain
But there is a good chance he's traded before his contract is up in a couple years
Not sure they can afford another 10+mil player
Examples of sophomore stars getting the C have already been presented and so it shouldn't be shocking Laf is our C in 2 years. Go with just the A's this year

Unless we go from having almost no proven centers to having an abundance of them in the next two years I'd say the odds are quite high Mika is re-signed. I wouldn't be surprised if they started talking extension well before his current contract is up.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Going beyond the C, who rocks the A's? Lost Staal, Fast. Z and CK20 are still here but if there's no C, they'd still need a 3rd guy. Trouba would be my guess since they seem to like to have a letter on the backend.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Going beyond the C, who rocks the A's? Lost Staal, Fast. Z and CK20 are still here but if there's no C, they'd still need a 3rd guy. Trouba would be my guess since they seem to like to have a letter on the backend.
Kreider, Zibanejad, Trouba, for sure with the A's.

If they want to do to split two home-two away, then I'd go Eichel for the fourth A

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Cant remember the last time a bottom 6 guy wore a C.

Current NHL captains:

Jordan Staal 3C, hurricanes
Nick Foligno, 3LW, blue jackets

Previous seasons:

'18: Derek McKenzie 4C, panthers
'18: Andy Greene 2LD, devils
'17: Shane Doan 3RW, coyotes (*granted, he wasn't bottom 6 when he earned it)
'17: Brian Gionta 2/3RW, sabres
'17: Mike Fisher 3C, predators
'16: Willie Mitchell 2LD, panthers

Reactions: Lion Hound

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

It's completely ridiculous. You don't saddle a rookie, or second-year player with the Captaincy, or an Alternate. You gotta earn that honor first. But before that, skate a shift in the NHL and work from there. No one remembers the tragic tale of Vinny Lecavalier when was given the Captaincy in his 2nd season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad