Prospect Info: Who is the most overrated/underrated Jets prospect?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Stanley becomes overrated by being listed as underrated and then becomes underrated again because he's called out as being overrated in the thread where he's called underrated. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::handclap:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Honestly I haven't seen much of him(as I missed the Memorial Cup), has he proved his worth of the 1st Pick back yet. Basically just wondering why you picked him..

His foot speed even for WHL standards is atrocious imo. I hope he turns out down the road though as he is a big body.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I toyed with Appleton as underrated but im afraid that would set the expectation too high.

I also actually don't think Stanley's overrated at this point. If you took an aggregate of everyones opinion he'd fall right in the middle :P

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
By TNSE:
Overrated: Stanley, Lemieux
Underrated: Petan

By fans:
Overrated: Lemieux, Poolman
Underrated: Foley (myself included), Dano (if we're still counting him)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Not sure what our criteria is for "rated". Are we talking around here? In hockey circles?

Anyway, I'll use the Hockey News future watch ratings:

Overrated: Logan Stanley (3rd on Jets, 58th overall)
Underrated: Erik Foley (10th on Jets)

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I get why many people think Comrie is overrated, but for myself, having season tickets near the glass in the defending zone, watching Comrie has been special. He's incredibly athletic and knows his basics extremely well, but there's something mental that's stopping him from getting to the next step. I think once he puts it altogether, slowly and with experience, he'll be a special goaltender.

Along the same lines, no one has mentioned Mikhail Berdin. For the performances he's had at the age of 19, he's definitely underrated in my books. That was a solid pick in the sixth round by the Jets.

The jury is still out on Phillips. I'm not quite sure what to make of him.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
surprised more don't think connor is underrated even though he is considered jet's top prospect. i don't think people appreciate the tear with the moose to end the season and he also looked very impressive last game of season with the jets. could become a perennial 25 - 30 goal scorer.

ever since laine was drafted and connors quiet nhl start it seems he was forgotten. he must still rank top 20 prospects in the league.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I get why many people think Comrie is overrated, but for myself, having season tickets near the glass in the defending zone, watching Comrie has been special. He's incredibly athletic and knows his basics extremely well, but there's something mental that's stopping him from getting to the next step. I think once he puts it altogether, slowly and with experience, he'll be a special goaltender.

Along the same lines, no one has mentioned Mikhail Berdin. For the performances he's had at the age of 19, he's definitely underrated in my books. That was a solid pick in the sixth round by the Jets.

The jury is still out on Phillips. I'm not quite sure what to make of him.

I agree with regards to Comrie's tools. He needs to gain consistiency albiet i think Vincent rode him into the ground that stretch of games prior to that one brutal cold stretch last year that tanked his numbers. He's a smart and hardworking kid who I'm sure learned last year.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
surprised more don't think connor is underrated even though he is considered jet's top prospect. i don't think people appreciate the tear with the moose to end the season and he also looked very impressive last game of season with the jets. could become a perennial 25 - 30 goal scorer.

ever since laine was drafted and connors quiet nhl start it seems he was forgotten. he must still rank top 20 prospects in the league.

Id probable rank him no further than 10

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Underrated is Connor or harkins

Over is poolman.

Connor can't be under rated
He's our highest rated prospect

Edit: people took notice
There was a lot of talk about how Connor picked up his game and got a good flow going
He scored like 16 goals in his last 20 games over 20 points or something(I think I'm making this stat up, But something very similar)

He's under rated in the sense that the jets held him very high going into this last season and didn't really make the cut
Now he's kind of forgotten in the rest of the boards

The marner/Matthews/nylander vs connor /ehlers/ Laine thread didn't help either

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Overrated - I don't really know. Maybe Spacek? I love the kid, but for every sweet move you see in the highlight reels I make, he tries it 5 more times unsuccessfully and loses the puck.

Underrated - Mikhail Berdin. He'll have the Jets choosing between him and Comrie soon enough. Athletic as all hell and he can actually play the puck.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Overrated - I don't really know. Maybe Spacek? I love the kid, but for every sweet move you see in the highlight reels I make, he tries it 5 more times unsuccessfully and loses the puck.

Underrated - Mikhail Berdin. He'll have the Jets choosing between him and Comrie soon enough. Athletic as all hell and he can actually play the puck.

I'd like Berdin to play at least a game or two some day, just to see what it looks like to have a goalie who can play the puck. As a group, the Jets goalies are the worst in the NHL in puck-handling. It's not even close.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
I'd like Berdin to play at least a game or two some day, just to see what it looks like to have a goalie who can play the puck. As a group, the Jets goalies are the worst in the NHL in puck-handling. It's not even close.

Agreed and sadly that could really help out a more two-way/offensive d core like ours.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
In the general fan base (maybe not around here), I'd say

Eric Comrie is the most overrated (he still has a chance but needs to show something; plus he's a goalie so is overrated by nature)

and

Jack Roslovic is the most underrated (I think he's going to be 1b to Mark Scheifele for a long time and I don't think the general fan base appreciates that)

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

OK, but that was a dangerously stupid play that could have bitten him on the ass. We have too many players already that like to get cutesy with the puck in our zone, often to the detriment of our GAA.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
I think the expectations of our prospects are quite balanced here so there are no obvious examples of over or under rated players.

Personally I do not see Poolman as being overrated by people on this board. He has received a lot of attention here because he is an intriguing prospect that would fill a definite area of need in our bottom pairing but the expectations are for the most part quite reasonable I think. Even his most ardent backers would be pleasantly surprised if he were to develop into something more than a bottom pairing d-man. If anything I see him being underrated by some here because of his advanced age and concern that because of this his game will not translate well to the next level or leave much room for future growth. He has become a personal favourite of mine because of the potential for beating the odds and I am really interested to see how he performs in camp and early in the year.

For me Connor took a positive step forward last year after a slow and less than auspicious start. His production in the minors along with the evolution of his overall game have allayed my fears that his overall game will not translate well to the NHL. So even though he is our top prospect it is possible he may be underrated by some.

After seeing Spacek highlights for the year I might have underrated his game and his potential. What caught my eye with his highlights that on both his goals and primary assists it seemed that he was the key driver on almost all the goals being scored.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Over: Niku (not convinced, but limited viewings).

Under: Appleton (took two huge leaps in development since being drafted. Projectable frame, toughness and passing ability)

HM: Harkins (his offensive ability will pleasantly suprise many Jets fans)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad