Prospect Info: Who is the most overrated/underrated Jets prospect?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
[mod] The following posters listed Poolman in the most overrated category.

ruffus23
grind
captain chef
ps241
Brian from AIH
Daximus
Channelcat
Ducky10
rehf
truck
clubkid75

Still feel that way lads?(and/or lasses).

To be clear I said I overrate Niku, I fear our board is overrating Poolman, and this thread is overrating Stanley. :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I've been saying that Poolman is undervalued for several years. Although I also though Kosmachuk would be a third or 4th line winger someday so take my thoughts on Poolman with a grain of salt.
Also always been a big fan of JC Lipon and still think he can be a decent 4th liner one day.

Think Nogier is undervalued.
Comrie overvalued.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

ruffus23
grind
captain chef
ps241
Brian from AIH
Daximus
Channelcat
Ducky10
rehf
truck
clubkid75

Yes.

Even if he makes it as a decent third pairing dman, it's not really anything to get too excited about.

GMs that aren't as poor at identifying what's a good dmen find 25 year old bottom pairing dmen quite easily in fa for league minimum.

Don't get me wrong, if he pans out that's still good. It's still good value for a depth pick, but it's not exactly "amazing". Your essentially getting one/two years of additional value over any random half decent bottom pairing UFA.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

I never thought he would be top pairing and still don't. At the time our defense was in shambles and people were looking for a savior in the system.

That said, mmmm Crow, this guy looks like a better third pair than we have had in years. Better than i expected, for sure.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes.

Even if he makes it as a decent third pairing dman, it's not really anything to get too excited about.

GMs that aren't as poor at identifying what's a good dmen find 25 year old bottom pairing dmen quite easily in fa for league minimum.

Don't get me wrong, if he pans out that's still good. It's still good value for a depth pick, but it's not exactly "amazing". Your essentially getting one/two years of additional value over any random half decent bottom pairing UFA.

I won't be surprised if Poolman turns out good enough to be a decent 2nd pairing D.

He developed late, but he's looked very good in pre-season, and he was a very good NCAA defenseman.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
yeah I am kinda liking Lemieux these days too. you can sense how much the kid wants to make the show. I think he will.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
yeah I am kinda liking Lemieux these days too. you can sense how much the kid wants to make the show. I think he will.

I still think if the name on the back of his jersey said Johnson he would get a fraction of the attention especially inside the organization. He is not a bad player by any means but so much of the notoriety comes from the Lemieux brand in my opinion. Not sure why some inside TNSE are such label ****** but at least Brendan is much better than Lucas Sutter.

Lemieux is ok but the way it looks to me if things break right (50-50) he will be a role player on the 4th line one day?

Like Jet said about slick Nic I really hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I won't be surprised if Poolman turns out good enough to be a decent 2nd pairing D.

He developed late, but he's looked very good in pre-season, and he was a very good NCAA defenseman.
If he turns out to be top four worthy then absolutely it was a great pick/value.

Most of my "downness" on poolman has been his age level vs comp. This is pretty much the first time in his career he's actually in line and even then, a strong ahl season would be akin to the second or third year for most prospects.

Essentially, if he's a bottom six dman this year... Hell be close to being rated properly. If hes a good ahl dmen, he'd still qualify as overrated by many imo, if he's the type of top six that can actually play top four then the hype will be about right.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If he turns out to be top four worthy then absolutely it was a great pick/value.

Most of my "downness" on poolman has been his age level vs comp. This is pretty much the first time in his career he's actually in line and even then, a strong ahl season would be akin to the second or third year for most prospects.

Essentially, if he's a bottom six dman this year... Hell be close to being rated properly. If hes a good ahl dmen, he'd still qualify as overrated by many imo, if he's the type of top six that can actually play top four then the hype will be about right.

Really don't think too many are projecting him as a top 4; maybe down the road but not for the foreseeable future. And given where he was drafted, a solid third pairing D-man would be more than fine for most. If he turns into a solid 2nd pairing d-man, thats superb.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Really don't think too many are projecting him as a top 4; maybe down the road but not for the foreseeable future. And given where he was drafted, a solid third pairing D-man would be more than fine for most. If he turns into a solid 2nd pairing d-man, thats superb.

My point was if he's not a solid third pairing dman this year... He's not really adding value as a draft selection.

It's not super difficult to pick up third pairing dmen from UFA, and because of his age, if he's not able to do it till he's 26, it's kind of a wasted pick (since he's UFA eligible after that season and it's not that tricky to find those types of guys on fa)

Does that logic make sense?

It's the same thing with drafting guys that become fourth liners at 25. What's the payoff? You can find a sgarbossa or a Hendricks any year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't see him as a top-4 this year because of experience and opportunity, but I see that potential (if the Jets were really thin there). Even if he becomes a top-4 at age 26 or 27, that is a very good result. In a way, it might be a bit like Zaitsev last year, but he came to a team that was very thin on RD.

I guess it's my way of saying that I've been very impressed by Poolman. He looks to have all the elements needed for a good NHL D.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
My point was if he's not a solid third pairing dman this year... He's not really adding value as a draft selection.

It's not super difficult to pick up third pairing dmen from UFA, and because of his age, if he's not able to do it till he's 26, it's kind of a wasted pick (since he's UFA eligible after that season and it's not that tricky to find those types of guys on fa)

It's the same thing with drafting guys that become fourth liners at 25. What's the payoff? You can find a sgarbossa or a Hendricks any year.

You realize he was picked in the 5th round right? Doesn't matter how many years you have to wait for a guy picked that late, if they become a dependable NHL player, thats far from a wasted pick.

And you can't just go out & reliably find a dependable UFA to put on your 3rd pairing, especially one having higher upside down the road. How can you compare him to Hendricks or Sgarbossa for instance; not the same position, nowhere near the same caliber of player.

Lastly, his age doesn't bother me. Yes, peak years have often been reached by the time you're 26, but D-man often stay very dependable or even improve well into their 30s

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Your logic makes complete sense. That being said Poolman has been a late bloomer so we will need to let the movie play out this season and maybe next. He has an intriguing blend of skills and who knows. All bottom paring D men are not created equal and if Poolman ends up being a cost controlled talented #5 that is forced to play up in the top 4 he may provide real value.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I guess it depends on overrated/underrated by who?

In my view, Petan is way overrated by this board (as a whole). Underrated I'd say Stanley just because he is so heavily ragged on, that no one can be that bad. I only ever played community club and beer league and I don't think I'm as bad as Stanley is accused of being around here.

Overrated/underrated by the organization? I think it would be fair to say Tanev seems to be overrated. I like his hustle but he doesn't seem to bring much more than that. Underrated I don't know.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Underrated: Spacek - I think he looked like a 1st round pick last night

Overrated: Dano - Hasn't shown much IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad