Who is the most overrated coach in the league?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I find it refreshing that most leaf fans are agreeing with rival fans of their assessment of Babcock. Must not be that popular of a guy if the general assessment is that hes just not that good.

Detroit Alumni seem to be overrated in general with the exception being Scotty Bowman. That dude turned Yzerman from a wuss into a man.

Reactions: Slicknitty

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Babcock is over rated, Matthews is over rated, Marner is over rated, etc

It's a miracle the Leafs can avoid being the worst team in the NHL with all of these overrated people let alone a playoff team.

I'll say Quenneville. I think he's a great coach but there was a time there when the Hawks were winning that a lot of fans thought he was the absolute best. I think he was a great coach with a team that was loaded to win.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Quenneville.

That doesn't mean he's a bad coach, not by any means. There was a time I honestly believe he was ahead of the curve as far as systems and skillsets that actually won games. But the game has changed, he hasn't changed with it, and a lot of the Blackhawks current problems are every bit as much his fault as management or the weaker roster at his disposal.

There's a reason that the last 3 cup winners all featured top4 dmen that Joel Quenneville deemed unfit to play.

Let's sum it up this way... his record before he was handed the keys to the Blackhawks Ferrari, was basically that of Bruce Boudreau. He's gained a lot of respect off the back of an elite roster.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Babcock may be overrated but then again why is he ALWAYS the default coach for Canada on best on best tournaments? the powers at be must know something we don't. He is extremely well respected amongst the elite of the elite players Canada has from his 2010, 2014 Olympic Golds and 2016 World Cup.

Babcock will be the coach for Canada if NHL players go to the games in 2022.

He took a basement dwelling Maple Leafs team in 2015 and 2016 to a few points outside of a top 5 team in the league, yes he got an injection of talent but it still counts.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Babcock may be overrated but then again why is he ALWAYS the default coach for Canada on best on best tournaments? the powers at be must know something we don't. He is extremely well respected amongst the elite of the elite players Canada has from his 2010, 2014 Olympic Golds and 2016 World Cup.

He took a basement dwelling team Maple Leafs team in 2015 and 2016 to a few points outside of a top 5 team in the league, yes he got an injection of talent but it still counts.

You want the real answer?

The guy in charge of putting together the team (Yzerman) worked with him in Detroit at the time of his first Olympics.

Then he won.

And they weren't going to change after he won.

So he got another shot.

And he won again.

Repeat as necessary until he loses.

Which is not to say that Babcock is a bad coach. He's a great coach. But let's not pretend his connections didn't get his foot in the door for that particular honor. Which is fine. It's the same as any other industry.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

He took a basement dwelling Maple Leafs team in 2015 and 2016 to a few points outside of a top 5 team in the league, yes he got an injection of talent but it still counts.[/Q

wrong post...oops

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Quenneville.

That doesn't mean he's a bad coach, not by any means. There was a time I honestly believe he was ahead of the curve as far as systems and skillsets that actually won games. But the game has changed, he hasn't changed with it, and a lot of the Blackhawks current problems are every bit as much his fault as management or the weaker roster at his disposal.

There's a reason that the last 3 cup winners all featured top4 dmen that Joel Quenneville deemed unfit to play.

Let's sum it up this way... his record before he was handed the keys to the Blackhawks Ferrari, was basically that of Bruce Boudreau. He's gained a lot of respect off the back of an elite roster.

Nailed it...A baboon couldve won with those teams.What's he done when the chips are down??

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
You want the real answer?

The guy in charge of putting together the team (Yzerman) worked with him in Detroit at the time of his first Olympics.

Then he won.

And they weren't going to change after he won.

So he got another shot.

And he won again.

Repeat as necessary until he loses.

Which is not to say that Babcock is a bad coach. He's a great coach. But let's not pretend his connections didn't get his foot in the door for that particular honor. Which is fine. It's the same as any other industry.

This is a good excuse in life and hockey, it can be applied to either. Well done

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Babcock. Not that i think he's a bad coach, but he's made out to be legendary whereas he hasn't really done anything of note in the nhl since 2008. And 2008 was behind probably the best team of the post lockout era.
It's not hard to imagine that Americans would rather forget the last Olympics with NHL players where Babcock won gold in 2010 in Vancouver (over the US) and gold in 2014 in Sochi (over Sweden). He is only the second coach to win back-to-back Olympic gold (after Victor Tikhonov). It's not like the Canadian men's team would have won anyway -- they had finished out of the medals in 2006 at Turin under Pat Quinn, who won gold in 2002 at Salt Lake.

Mike Babcock has every right to be a highly celebrated coach.

I would actually say he is underrated by many of the posters in this thread.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I agree with most people here and say it's Babcock.

He's 2-10 in his last 12 playoff series as an underdog. Those are terrible numbers in a sport where underdogs win all the team. Yes he's won with Canada, but a lot of other coaches could do the same with the ridiculous amount of talent at their disposal.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Barry Trotz. He was carried by his assistant coaches to his only Stanley Cup. Before that was always a choker out before the 2nd round.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Babcock not because he's especially bad, but he's just one of the most highly hyped coaches in the league.

Most coaches are just constantly shat on so its hard to find overrated ones.

I'd also say Bill Peters just based off the fact that he isn't cleaning toilets somewhere at this point.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah even as a leaf fan, I have to agree on Babcock. I guess the word that's more appropriate is "overhyped", than overrated.

Babcock aint bad but he has his flaws

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Bylsma was overrated as heck, my mans. Quenneville and Babs are the most overrated right now. I guess Yeo is overrated too, since he shouldn't be a coach in this league at all.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Coaches in general at the top are all overrated. It's all about who has the best personell. You put Babcock on the Canucks and he won't ever be talked about as being good.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Can't understand how Bylsma was Stanley cup winning coach. He's terrible. Not overrated though. Just wonder because he was awful in next few years.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't know how a coach that takes a team from dead last and in 2 years has them finish 6th best in the league with 2 straight playoff appearances is overrated but Babcock does a lot of stupid ****

Well they tanked in 2015-16 so if they had tried they may have been a little better. ;)

What does Babcock do that's so bad compared to other coaches? It seems he operated under the standard coaching formula. Nothing i see indicates that he has no clue what hes doing.

You try to win an Olympic medal coaching 2o plus players that have not really played together all that much. Could you do that?

Easily. Anyone of us could have won the Olympic games with that defense (plus Toews/Crosby up the middle). Not exactly rocket science filling out that lineup card.

He also makes a lot of questionable personnel decisions.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad