NFL: Who is the most notable QB you'd rank Mahomes ahead of for career performance?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Biggest challenge to Mahomes is going to be how the Chiefs manage the salary cap after his big contract. Wilson got paid and Seattle wasn't as good after he got off his rookie deal. Have to continue to draft well. There will be weaknesses on the team, as you just can't afford to keep everyone. KC front office can't be sentimental with anyone on the roster. Kelce, I don't see getting another contract for example.

Eh. To me the foundation of the team is: Mahomes, Hill, Jones, and Kelce. Letting the best TE in football go would be the wrong move imo. You let secondary pieces like Watkins go.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Eh. To me the foundation of the team is: Mahomes, Hill, Jones, and Kelce. Letting the best TE in football go would be the wrong move imo. You let secondary pieces like Watkins go.
How old is Kelce? He’s 30, turning 31 in October. The top teams generally let players going into their third contract walk when they are around age 30. 4 years of rookie contract then another 4/5 years of second contract. 8-9 years for a 22 year old coming out of college. Puts them in around the 30 year old mark.

Kittle is the best TE and will be entering the final year of his rookie contract. He's going to reset the bar for the TE market. TE don't make what WR make in the $20 mill range. Gronk made $53 mill in his career up to 2018 season. So, coming off his rookie deal, he'd average close to $10 million for the 5 years post rookie contract. Kittle, likely to press into the teens of $13-$15 mill, maybe more. Where would Kelce slot in money wise after Kittle gets his money?

Plus, next draft is supposed to be a very good one for TE.

KC is going to have to make some hard decisions. Watkins will be gone. They restructured his contract this off-season (likely meaning they converted some base salary into signing bonus to give more cap space this season). So, likely some dead money in 2021 if/when they cut him.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
How old is Kelce? He’s 30, turning 31 in October. The top teams generally let players going into their third contract walk when they are around age 30. 4 years of rookie contract then another 4/5 years of second contract. 8-9 years for a 22 year old coming out of college. Puts them in around the 30 year old mark.

Kittle is the best TE and will be entering the final year of his rookie contract. He's going to reset the bar for the TE market. TE don't make what WR make in the $20 mill range. Gronk made $53 mill in his career up to 2018 season. So, coming off his rookie deal, he'd average close to $10 million for the 5 years post rookie contract. Kittle, likely to press into the teens of $13-$15 mill, maybe more. Where would Kelce slot in money wise after Kittle gets his money?

Plus, next draft is supposed to be a very good one for TE.

KC is going to have to make some hard decisions. Watkins will be gone. They restructured his contract this off-season (likely meaning they converted some base salary into signing bonus to give more cap space this season). So, likely some dead money in 2021 if/when they cut him.

Who do you replace Kelce's production with though?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who do you replace Kelce's production with though?
Too early to worry about that.

the 2019 Cheifs had a combined cap hit for Mahomes ($4.5), Jones ($2), Hill ($2.2) and Kelce ($10.7) of less than $20 mill. Hill jumps to $17.7 in 2020, Jones signed his tag of $16.1 mill, Kelce will count $11.2 mill while Mahomes comes in at $5.3 mill. Will count $50 mill against the cap in 2020. Mahomes 5th year option is worth $25 mill. So there are going to be tough decisions made down the line in KC.

Last edited:

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Yes he has lol. Wilson wasn't even the primary reason for Seattle's success in 2013-2014. It was their defense. He's a great player. But he's never been as good as Mahomes.

That defense left over the next two years, yet they kept making the playoffs. The reason is Wilson.

I'm fine with the argument that Mahomes is better but the mindset of "it was all Seattle's defense" was put to bed a long time ago and is asinine.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
That defense left over the next two years, yet they kept making the playoffs. The reason is Wilson.

I'm fine with the argument that Mahomes is better but the mindset of "it was all Seattle's defense" was put to bed a long time ago and is asinine.

Well their defense was still elite until it fell off in 2017. That being said what Wilson has done the last 2 or 3 seasons (despite bad coaching, O-line issues etc), has been remarkable.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
QB isnt all about physical ability. In fact the mental aspect may be more important than anything. Seen plenty of QB with all the physical attributes fail
Where I'll give Brady the edge on the mental side of the game comes from watching the Patriots retool their offensive systems many times and seeing Brady perform well in each of them.

Now, I don't think Mahomes is incapable of the same thing, but he's not had to go through it yet. He probably will fairly soon when the Chiefs start to see their skilled players move on to other teams due to cap limits. New players will be brought in, which will change up how they have to play.

Reactions: Voight

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Mahomes is amazing and the league is so much better with him being part of it. He's far away from ranking with the top QBs that had long successful careers, but he's well on his way to joining that group (and possibly leading it when all is said and done).

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Where I'll give Brady the edge on the mental side of the game comes from watching the Patriots retool their offensive systems many times and seeing Brady perform well in each of them.

Now, I don't think Mahomes is incapable of the same thing, but he's not had to go through it yet. He probably will fairly soon when the Chiefs start to see their skilled players move on to other teams due to cap limits. New players will be brought in, which will change up how they have to play.
I agree, it will also be interesting to see how they manage the cap. Brady always took less so he could have better players around him. Will see if Mahomes goes down the same road.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Like what? What physically can’t Mahomes do that Brady can?

QB isnt all about physical ability. In fact the mental aspect may be more important than anything. Seen plenty of QB with all the physical attributes fail

So Mahomes is a failure, aye?

Strawman argument here. No one called Mahomes a failure, but the fact is that QB is WAY more about mental game than physical game. That's why a lot of high school and college QB's are forced to transition to other positions if they want to stick around.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Biggest adjustment for Mahomes will be when he cannot throw side-arm perfect spirals 50 yards down the field... and depending if he is lucky or not, it could be 5-6 years down the line... which in terms of his whole career is pretty soon (and could be sooner if he, God forbids, gets hurt). His mechanics are not easy on the body and he'll have to adjust them to remain dominant. That's when he'll need to be able to show mastery of the mental aspect of QBing.

Losing skill players will hurt, but not as much. As long as Mahomes can extend the play a few seconds and throw it like he does right now, guys will have enough time to get open down the field. Hell, the Chiefs should invest in a great OL before they invest in keeping their skill guys.

He should have plenty of time to adjust and he seems like a smart kid, so I think he will, but yeah, that's gonna be his biggest challenge. That's why Manning and Brady were good for so long. They biggest strength is their mastery of their offense and their ability to read the defenses in front of them. If Mahomes develops that, still can move around AND adjusts his throwing mechanics as he ages, he should be able to have at least as great a career as them. Might not be able to match Brady is rings and post-season accomplishment, but he can beat the stats and have an overall "better" career.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Biggest adjustment for Mahomes will be when he cannot throw side-arm perfect spirals 50 yards down the field... and depending if he is lucky or not, it could be 5-6 years down the line... which in terms of his whole career is pretty soon (and could be sooner if he, God forbids, gets hurt). His mechanics are not easy on the body and he'll have to adjust them to remain dominant. That's when he'll need to be able to show mastery of the mental aspect of QBing.

Losing skill players will hurt, but not as much. As long as Mahomes can extend the play a few seconds and throw it like he does right now, guys will have enough time to get open down the field. Hell, the Chiefs should invest in a great OL before they invest in keeping their skill guys.
Whether it's the OL, skilled positions, or the Defence, any great QB is going to have more of a burden placed on them when the cap space gets tighter after they sign their big contract.

Seattle's Defence is no longer in the top 3-5 in the NFL anymore. Has not been for a couple of years now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing about Kelce, Andy has generally been pretty good at moving on from guys at the right time, even if it doesn’t seem like the time. Adequately replacing them hasn’t always been as effective. What do you do to replace him? Well, it’s their job to figure it out.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm assuming you mean current players?

Tom Brady
Mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybe Ben Roethlisberger

Other than that, I really don't think there's anyone who can compare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad