NFL: Who is the most notable QB you'd rank Mahomes ahead of for career performance?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's tough to imagine a better first 2 seasons for Mahomes:

MVP and OPOTY
5,000 yard + 50 TD season
Super Bowl
Super Bowl MVP

Obviously after 36 regular season + playoff games you can't rank him anywhere near the top, but who in your opinion is the most notable QB that you'd already rank Mahomes ahead of on the all-time list?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I would have given the game mvp to Damien Williams, myself. Though Mahomes had a great 10 minutes.

I'd put him ahead of Aikman, if not only because he basically openly rooted for him and the Chiefs last night.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wilson doesn't have the same trophy cabinet but he did also lead his team to the big one in his second year. Also completely trounced the best offence in league history, then went back to the big game a year later (his third season) and almost won it again.

Marino also had a great start... he only started 9 games his "rookie" year but his first full season as a starter resulted in the MVP, first ever 5000 yard season and then lost the Super Bowl to a dynasty team. His MVP year also set records for TD's.

Reactions: TheGooooch

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hard to answer honestly with just 2 seasons under his belt, but maybe someone like Matt Ryan. Someone who has had a MVP caliber season, but the rest of the resume is a bit less, and someone without a Super Bowl. Marino is probably another that sort of fits that description.

Mahomes probably just needs another great season to be solidly above them. After that he could just be above average and remain above.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm slow to his hype train but I'm starting to believe the guy is the real deal. With guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers approaching the end of their careers good to see guys like Mahomes stepping up.

Not sure, however, on who he's better than through the first couple yrs. of his career.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm slow to his hype train but I'm starting to believe the guy is the real deal. With guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers approaching the end of their careers good to see guys like Mahomes stepping up.

Not sure, however, on who he's better than through the first couple yrs. of his career.

The guy wins a league MVP & a Super Bowl MVP & you're just starting to believe he's the real deal? What does he need to do next to push you over the edge & get you to fully commit?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd say at the moment that he is starting off his career in a class by himself.

Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Watching him play and rumble is as enthralling as the works the very best of artists have to offer. Perhaps even more so considering the split second decisions and lack of forgiveness on the field.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Does everybody not realize Mahomes has been in the league for 3 seasons.

You can say whatever you want but I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you learned a lot during that first season behind Smith & soaking in Reid's offense.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Does everybody not realize Mahomes has been in the league for 3 seasons.

You can say whatever you want but I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you learned a lot during that first season behind Smith & soaking in Reid's offense.
Yes, but no one cares. When talking about a QB's first season, everyone means as a starter.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He's already a HOF lock. And he would've won MVP in 2019 had he not missed three games. There's not a soul in the world who would take Jackson over Mahomes. Well maybe the Bears GM would. Lol.

He's the most electric football player I've seen since prime Manning. What a treat to watch.

He's already ahead of: Ryan, Wentz, Goff, Fluttie, Flacco, Eli, Rivers, Stafford, Newton, Bledsoe, McNair, McNabb, Big Ben, Theismann, Romo, Marino (SB MVP overtakes his accomplishments), Namath, Griese, Stabler, Gannon, Wilson, Luck and Tankerton. Theres probably more. This is based on accomplishments (Marino), and/or talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: hi

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's already a HOF lock. And he would've won MVP in 2019 had he not missed three games. There's not a soul in the world who would take Jackson over Mahomes. Well maybe the Bears GM would. Lol.

He's the most electric football player I've seen since prime Manning. What a treat to watch.

He's already ahead of: Ryan, Wentz, Goff, Fluttie, Flacco, Eli, Rivers, Stafford, Newton, Bledsoe, McNair, McNabb, Big Ben, Theismann, Romo, Marino (SB MVP overtakes his accomplishments), Namath, Griese, Stabler, Gannon, Wilson, Luck and Tankerton. Theres probably more. This is based on accomplishments (Marino), and/or talent.

Biggest challenge to Mahomes is going to be how the Chiefs manage the salary cap after his big contract. Wilson got paid and Seattle wasn't as good after he got off his rookie deal. Have to continue to draft well. There will be weaknesses on the team, as you just can't afford to keep everyone. KC front office can't be sentimental with anyone on the roster. Kelce, I don't see getting another contract for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->