Who is the Leafs Most Talented Player < age 24?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I really get tired of how people act like Kadri is a bad defensive player, when he's not. And he never has been. He just plays on a team that been **** defenseively altogether for at least 10 years.

He is a part of the problem, not THE problem when it comes to defence and the Leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
huh. a leafs board poll that actually gets it 100% right.

1. Rielly
2. Nylander
3. Kadri
4. Gardiner
5. ?

#5 is tough.

holland? leivo? brown? verhaeghe? johnson?

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

1. Rielly
2. Nylander
3. Kadri
4. Gardiner
5. ?

#5 is tough.

Guess it depends on how we define "most talented". Because I'm not sure how Reilly and Nylander are top two when they haven't produced what the other two have in the NHL. Guess some are basing it off of potential.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

1. Rielly
2. Nylander
3. Kadri
4. Gardiner
5. ?

#5 is tough.

Been considering Gardiner at 1 or 2 myself. There's been times over the last two years where he's been our best player. I guess the million dollar question is if he can bring it consistently.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Most talented?

Kadri.. not close

Agreed. As flashy as Rielly was last season, what exactly did he do to actually benefit the team last season, other than provide entertainment value. He should have been sent back to junior to better balance the D.

Nylander is the shiny new toy and who's to say what he'll amount to in the NHL.

Given that this poll is closed, from the options given:

1. Kadri
2. Gardiner
3. Rielly
4. Nylander
5. Brown

That ranking may change as players continue to develop, but that's the FACT of how it currently stands.

Last edited:

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'd say currently...

Gardiner (top 4 Dman)
Kadri (borderline top 2 center)
Rielly (top 6 Dman)
Nylander (prospect, will not make the NHL team this year)

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
1. Kadri
2. Gardiner
3. Rielly
4. Nylander (unproven in the NHL)

I don't see how it can be any other way. Only Datsyuk/Duchene can do some of the things Kads can. Rielly's going to be a beaut but Gardiner can take over games by himself.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
To use that argument...

Agreed. As flashy as Rielly was last season, what exactly did he do to actually benefit the team last season, other than provide entertainment value. He should have been sent back to junior to better balance the D.

Nylander is the shiny new toy and who's to say what he'll amount to in the NHL.

Given that this poll is closed, from the options given:

1. Kadri
2. Gardiner
3. Rielly
4. Nylander
5. Brown

That ranking may change as players continue to develop, but that's the FACT of how it currently stands.

You have to first answer me this? What did Kadri and Gardiner do in the NHL at 19? On top of that Reilly is a defenseman and they take longer, rarely showing up at 19. Kadri took what 3 years? Carlyle put Reilly on a leash last year as he learned the game. Kadri was given chances and couldn't crack the lineup, even as a 3rd liner till 21/22. So yes, Reilly wins.

silentbob37*

1) Rielly
2) Nyander
3) Kadri
4) Gardiner (I think he has shown flashes of being better then Kadri, but hasn't put it all together yet - if he ever does he'd move up)
5) Johnson

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
It is skating game today, there is no doubt Rielly and Nylander are already elite skaters that will probably even improve as they gain more experience. This is a big check mark in their favours when talent is measured.

But Gardiner is hands down the best skater on the team right now.

Last edited:

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
You have to first answer me this? What did Kadri and Gardiner do in the NHL at 19? On top of that Reilly is a defenseman and they take longer, rarely showing up at 19. Kadri took what 3 years? Carlyle put Reilly on a leash last year as he learned the game. Kadri was given chances and couldn't crack the lineup, even as a 3rd liner till 21/22. So yes, Reilly wins.

Pardon me but OP asked for the most talented players < 24. Not how great they can one day become. Doesn't matter if Rielly's played one year...if the OP was asking which Leafs player had the best rookie season Rielly would top Kadri but not Gardiner.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just to clarify, the poll was simply who is the most talented player.

Not who is the more developed player now, or who has played in the NHL longer…

Surely you do not need to see a player play in the NHL to know if one is talented.

The Only Critaria, the player has to be under 24 years of age. You may use your own discretion what constitutes most talented, ie. Hockey IQ, Skating, Stick Skills, Strength, Flash, Smarts, Leadership skills.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But Gardiner is hands down the best skater on the team right now.

Rielly is, and really it isn't close.

Speed, one step quickness, power, lateral movement. He has it all.

I always say this when people compare the 2, Gardiner tries to skate around players, Rielly tries to skate around and through players.

Big distinction here, when you are talking about a 207lb player to a 185lbs player.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Rielly is, and really it isn't close.

Speed, one step quickness, power, lateral movement. He has it all.

I always say this when people compare the 2, Gardiner tries to skate around players, Rielly tries to skate around and through players.

Big distinction here, when you are talking about a 207lb player to a 185lbs player.

Disagree. I think Rielly has more straight-ahead speed and that is it. Everything else I think Gardiner is better right now. In 1-2 more years Rielly will be the best skater or whenever it is fully developed.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Judging from the poll results this thread should of been titled "Who is the Leafs Most Talented Potential Player < age 24?" Just another thread to rag on certain players.

How can a player who has played zero games in the NHL and probably won't even make the team this year be deemed to be more talented? Makes zero sense.
Gardiner has shown to be able to take over games at times, Rielly hasn't yet. Good chance Rielly ends up being the better player, but at this point it's still Gardiner.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

You do know Kadri was by far the best Leaf in his very frist Training camp and RW didn't even give him first nine. Rielly should have been sent back to junior in time for the Worlds. Fans were also overwhelmingly in favour of seeing him do so at the time. Just because a player's career is managed differently doesn't mean they are more or less talented.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd like to reboot this poll. I am feeling very good about Nylander right now.

He shows talent beyond his years, both offensively and defensively.

We got a good one here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2