Who is the Leafs Most Talented Player < age 24?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With the summer here, I thought I would start a few interesting polls this month. First one is straight forward. Who is the Leafs Most Talented Player

1. Nazem Kadri
2. Jake Gardiner
3. William Nylander
4. Morgan Rielly

The Only Critaria, the player has to be under 24 years of age. You may use your own discretion what constitutes most talented, ie. Hockey IQ, Skating, Stick Skills, Strength, Flash, Smarts, Leadership skills.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
flag on the play, flag on the play. Sociologist stepping up to the plate! :laugh:

You can't have Nylander in your poll for the following

1: Nylander has played 0 games as a Leaf
2: Nylander is only property of the Leafs - hes's not even signed his ELC as of 10:08am, 7-11-14

you could qualify him as

A: prospect
B: asset

but not - a Leaf.

sorry. LOL i couldn't let that go.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Rielly
Gardiner
Kadri

Nylander doesn't count.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
flag on the play, flag on the play. Sociologist stepping up to the plate! :laugh:

You can't have Nylander in your poll for the following

1: Nylander has played 0 games as a Leaf
2: Nylander is only property of the Leafs - hes's not even signed his ELC as of 10:08am, 7-11-14

you could qualify him as

A: prospect
B: asset

but not - a Leaf.

sorry. LOL i couldn't let that go.

This is up to you Daisy, if you believe Nylander is the most talented player of the 4 choices, then you can vote for this player. We are not getting into how many games they played or who is the best player. Look at the players talents and make a choice. I left it wide open to interpretation what talent is.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rielly
Gardiner
Kadri

Nylander doesn't count.

Why not? He's in our organization, and he is one of our most talented players. He's a welcome topic for our fan base. Again this is a poll based strictly on talent. No disadvantage for a drafted player. I would not put him in there if I didn't think he had some votes.

I believe I picked our 4 most talented players under 24. All should get their votes.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
This is up to you Daisy, if you believe Nylander is the most talented player of the 4 choices, then you can vote for this player. We are not getting into how many games they played or who is the best player. Look at the players talents and make a choice. I left it wide open to interpretation what talent is.

I have to side with Daisy here. To be frank, nobody really knows what his talent level is, except for people who have watched him in modo. All we've seen are highlight clips on youtube.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Why not? He's in our organization, and he is one of our most talented players. He's a welcome topic for our fan base. Again this is a poll based strictly on talent. No disadvantage for a drafted player. I would not put him in there if I didn't think he had some votes.

I believe I picked our 4 most talented players under 24. All should get their votes.

I doubt most have seen him play

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have to side with Daisy here. To be frank, nobody really knows what his talent level is at. Except for people who have watched him in modo, all we've seen are highlight clips on youtube.

He was deemed the most talented player of this past draft. If we were discussing best player, which we are not, I would agree with you both.

But this is based on one criteria, talent. And it is open to what each poster deems as talent. All 4 players bring different things to the table, Nylander fits the bill. All 4 players bring talent to the table.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He was deemed the most talented player of this past draft. If we were discussing best player, which we are not, I would agree with you both.

But this is based on one criteria, talent. And it is open to what each poster deems as talent. All 4 players bring different things to the table, Nylander fits the bill. All 4 players bring talent to the table.

All I'm saying is if you're asking for our opinion, we still haven't seen him play. If you want to go by the opinion of scouts and analysts go for it but it's a pointless process asking for our own opinion.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have to side with Daisy here. To be frank, nobody really knows what his talent level is, except for people who have watched him in modo. All we've seen are highlight clips on youtube.

exactly. All we have to go on with Nylander is scouting reports and yt clips (oh and world juniors). everyone is telling me that he's skilled but i've yet to see it for myself as I don't watch juniors at all

and I like complete and correct data when it comes to things like this (sorry 10 years of school, hundreds of case studies, theses and the like being hammered into my head). I get what you're trying to say, Interactif - but realistically - William Nylander technically is not a Leaf. He's not signed, he's not played ANY game as a Leaf (I wouldn't even have said anything had he played for the Marlies). you HAVE to include games played (ie: 0 for Nylander vs. at least 1 for Kadri, Rielly, Jake

also - if we're going to go by this standard (and just listing talented players). Why just Nylander? Where's Freddy? Where's Connor Brown? Where's Nillson? Where's Finn? are they more or less talented? they are under 24 as well. In fact - under the letter of the law - they're leafs (as all have signed ELCs) - and Nylander is not, Nylander is property)

I can go on - lol but it's just .. i'm sorry - this is what i've studied and it's just not accurate or right. it's 3 nhl players vs. a prospect. we've got more leafs under 24 not listed, and we've got more prospects under 24 not listed. it's not a complete or correct nor accurate poll.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So tough to compare forwards to defenders. It's different skillset and different skills.

I'll go Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner and then Nylander. Nylander should climb up fast if/when he shows his stuff.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Okay, for people who have not seen Nylander at all. I will post this link incase I was unfair to him. Which was never my intention. Most have seen him play in videos I presume. Most talented is the criteria not best player.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I picked Gards. His talent level is absolutely through the roof. If he could put it together, he has the highest potential on our team. Very few players can make NHLers look like beer-leaguers at times, but Jake can. Though, more often than not, it’s Jake who gets made to look like the beer leaguer :’(

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I picked Gards. His talent level is absolutely through the roof. If he could put it together, he has the highest potential on our team. Very few players can make NHLers look like beer-leaguers at times, but Jake can. Though, more often than not, it’s Jake who gets made to look like the beer leaguer :’(

For the criteria of this topic, I can see why you picked him. Despite what some believe, I always said he had a tonne of talent to play any position.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This is the thing, you don't have to. We are not discussing best player. One can look at the vids on Nylander, it is easy to see why the Leafs drafted him.

You could put a video together of any of those players where they'd look great.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I don't know to be honest.

I voted Kadri. If he repeated his shortened season performance he'd probably be everyone's favourite player on the Leafs. Let's see how he does this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ummm...is it "who is the most talented of these four young players\prospects?" or "who is the leafs most talented player?"

If its the latter, then you're missing several options that should be ranked ahead of those promising, young players.

For obvious reasons, if Kessel or JVR were in this poll. It would make this poll redundant. The reason why I capped it at age 24. And decided not to have them in it.

If I capped it at 21, then Nylander and Rielly would have run away with the poll.

24, was the perfect criteria to have a even poll with plenty of discussion.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it's entirely debatable who of Kessel or Kadri is more talented, but I don't disagree with leaving Kessel/JVR off exactly either.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I split the rankings into two sections.

1) Traits that contribute to in my opinion, a players current talent level. These help to predict their future or overall ability:
2) How close a player's current ability is to his future ability/ how well has he maximized his talents.

Gardiner

Talent level
Skating: 5/5
Hands: 3.5/5
Shot: 4/5
Physicality: 2/5
Defensive Awareness: 4/5
Compete 3.5/5
IQ: 4/5
Vision: 4/5
Stability: 3/5
Total: 33

Current Ability to maximize talents
Confidence: 4/5
Resist Pressure: 4.5/5
Play to his strengths 4.5/5
Total =13

Kadri
Talent Level
Skating: 3.5/5
Hands: 4.5/5
Shot: 3.5/5
Physicality: 3.5/5
Defensive Awareness: 3/5
Compete 4/5
IQ: 4/5
Vision: 4.5/5
Stability: 2.5/5
Total: 33

Current ability to maximize talents

Confidence: 3.5/5
Resist Pressure: 4/5
Play to his strengths 4/5
=11.5

Rielly
Talent Level
Skating: 5/5
Hands: 4.5/5
Shot: 2.5/5
Physicality: 3/5
Defensive Awareness: 3/5
Compete 4/5
IQ: 4.5/5
Vision: 4.5/5
Stability: 4/5
Total talent: 35

Current ability to maximize talents
Confidence: 3/5
Resist Pressure: 4/5
Play to his strengths 3/5
=10

TLDR: How good they are now:
1)Gardiner
2)Kadri
3)Rielly

How good they can be in the future
1) Rielly (1D, letang caliber)
2) Gardiner=Kadri (top pairing D like Campbell/ 1B center like Ribiero or krejci in regular season form)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad